Quantcast

• Join Today, It's Simple and FREE!

As a member, you can post in our forums, upload your photos and videos, use and contribute to our downloads, create your own member page, add your ATV events, and even start your own ATV club to host your own club forum and gallery.  Registration is fast and you can even login with social network accounts to sync your profiles and content.

Wesley Floyd

2000 Yamaha Big Bear lots of play in shifter

Hey guys, Thanks for looking at my post. I haven't had a lot of experience with problems like this before, so I'm a little bit at a loss. The Quad was really hard to shift, (the dirty carb leaking gas making it idle high didn't help either). The only Idea I have would be is that the torsion spring is worn out, and that there is a normal parameter for how much it should move when those two arms of the shift shaft assembly spread apart.  That's my thought. Maybe someone who has more knowledge then me can let me know if i'm on the right track 😀

_MG_8540.JPG

Are you saying its tight and hard to shift or too lose and wont go into gear?

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Forum Topics

• By Ray Roberts
      Hey everyone im new here, i have a problem with my 2001 suzuki quadrunner 500. When i start the bike up it sounds fine but a few seconds later the idle speed just keeps rising to where you cant put it in gear, and if im lucky it will climb down to where i can put it in gear but when i press the gas it immediately want to die. Please help me!
    • By Wolds Alpacas
      Hello - I have just had delivered my 2004 registered King Quad 300.
      The gear change is pretty fierce.  Pretty hard to get into gear from neutral on the foot pedal and when I select reverse on the hand lever, it jumps into reverse with a hell of a kick.
      I am waiting for a service manual to arrive, but in the meantime, has anyone any suggestions please?
      Thank you.
    • By bradley nelson
      Im cool with the police in my area so i can ride on public roads.
    • By Nick Martini
      Hello all, 
      I haven't had a dirt bike or ATV for years, but a buddy of mine just picked up a raptor 700 and makes me want to get back into the sport. I'm looking for the best bang for my buck utility quad that can go in snow, but also hit some small jumps and trail ride. It would mostly be used for light trail riding; not really any mud holes or jumps around me (Bristol, Massachusetts). My last bike was a 2004 yz125 2 stroke and it was a pain. Every other ride I was doing something to the bike. I'm looking for a utility quad that I can ride for a month without having to touch it. I've done a bit of research so far and it seems like my best bet would be ~2014 Yamaha grizzly 700 with ~1000 miles for about $5,000. I'd love some more opinions from people who are more knowledgeable about the sport. I'm looking to stay around that $5,000 range. Also, there's no trails around me to go more than 40 or 50mph so I'm not too worried about keeping up with the 700.

Thanks,
      Nick
    • By IdahoQuad
      Hello from Buhl, Idaho (near Twin Falls). I typically ride at least once a week in the Southern Idaho/Northern Nevada area. Also like to ride in Colorado, Utah (especially Moab), Montana and Wyoming. I currently ride a 2013 Yamaha Grizzly 550. Anybody want to ride in Southern Idaho/Northern Nevada area look me up. I know these areas very well. I've also done a lot of dirt bike riding and 4X4 (Jeep) in the above listed areas over the last 15 years.
  • Similar Tagged Content

• By pokerl0w
      this bike! did this guy sucker me or what.. ok, looks like this means something is bent that I do not see or one rod is longer vs the other?
      how long do you think this would last before it ripped into the tire? this is the right side, left side tire clears no problem

I can not find them on www.kawasakipartshouse.com

• By johncb
      My brothers 06 outlander max 400 shifter lever is very hard to get into the correct gear any ideas what the problem could be?
    • By Deañna
      I have a 1996 Timberwolf with a stick shifter.  When I got it the previous owner told me it was a transmission issue.  He also said the starter went out.  I got it home and the battery was dry.  Changed plug, coil pack, filter and all fluids. I have it running well, but the shifter does not move. It is stuck in neutral. The reverse lever seems to be all the way to the front. Does anyone know where I should begin?
    • By Flanstone
      I just bought two 1985 TRX250's from my father-in-law. One runs great, the other not so much. The one is having issues with the shifter. The shifter seems to be resting lower than normal. When I press the shifter downward, it just pops back up. Any thougjts as to what the issue might be?
    • By dirtybear00
      I have a 2000 big bear 400 manual shift. Does not have a shift lever on gender like a Kodiak has left foot operated rn12345 on left foot lever. I replaced the stator and pick up coil and now it is difficult to shift. I marked (indexed) the lever, rod and pivot clamp prior to removal and not sure where to go .  Maybe a clutch adjustment ? Anyone have a manual for this model ? I was sent a manual but it is for a shiftless Kodiak yet it states big bear as well