Quantcast

• Join Today, It's Simple and FREE!

As a member, you can post in our forums, upload your photos and videos, use and contribute to our downloads, create your own member page, add your ATV events, and even start your own ATV club to host your own club forum and gallery.  Registration is fast and you can even login with social network accounts to sync your profiles and content.

Kevin Ciccone

Advice: Buying a 2014 Sportsman 800

Hey, how's it going?

I'm a new member looking to get some advice before I go to check out a '14 Sportsman 800.  I wanted to get input from you guys that have experience with Polaris machines. I've been riding my whole life, dirt bikes and atvs... Honda, Suzuki, Yamaha, but never Polaris.  I'm looking for advice on what I should be looking for, any common issues, really any general advice.  I couldn't find many reviews of the Sportsman 800 online, so and general reviews on quality/reliability would be great too.

A little info on the machine. 

-2014 800 EFI
-640 miles, 77hrs.
-Winch
-Asking price is $5500

Couple add ons: (nothing major) 
-Aftermarket wheels with Maxxis tires
-Front and rear brush bumpers
-LED lights

Probably going to see it in the next couple days. I'll make sure to check out all the basics... Fluids, front end, tires, suspension etc.  Plus anything else you guys recommend.

Thanks for any advice on advance! 

2014 Polaris shouldn't have to many problems. I would check to see if exhaust is starting to rust. and check if it has ever been rolled. probably not but you never know.  other than that with out taking it apart hard to tell what belts look like.. 

I know some of the older models had some electrical issues. 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Topics

• By Jon Williams
      anyone know where i can get a pdf copy of the service manual? 

• By Brittany Jones
      Yes I just got a 1998 polaris xplorer 400 4x4. Ran fine after hauling then died. Cleaned carb and put new fuel filter, hose, and new battery in. Starts 3 out of 10 times but will only run for a short time. Any suggestions?
    • By Brian Simmons
      The battery was gone when I bought the 90 .There are 7 wires 3 red 1 white ,1 black , 1 green and 1blue  . 1 red and 1 white are connected with connector like it`s suppose to go to the battery . I think it`s called an eye connector it`s round and has a hole in the center . So it can be bolted to the battery  and the same with the black wire  the one  black 1 has a connector on it that looks like it goes to the battery . that leaves me with 2 red wires , 1 green wire and 1 blue wire !!! Can anyone help me with a diagram of how the wiring goes to the battery on my 2002 Polaris Scrambler 90 ??? Please help me with this my e-mail address is [email protected] Pl
      Please help me with this . Thank you , Brian
    • By Kevin Vlogs
      Does anybody know how to determine which of the 2 key blanks fits my ATV. I have called several dealers, and Polaris and nobody seems to know which key fits which ATV. I thought with the ViN number they could look it up, but apparently not. I hate to spend the money at Polaris for a key blank and then pay a locksmith to cut it, but the locksmiths around me don't have the Polaris keys in stock. I find them on Amazon and places, but I can't tell which key blank is right for my ATV. Any help would be appreciated.
    • By Kevin Vlogs
      Hey Guys,
      I just bought my first Quad, a 2014 Sportsman 400 HO and want to replace the battery. It's not dead, but the voltage seems low and I'm not sure how old the battery is. What does everybody recommend for a replacement battery? Is there a difference that I should know about? I see Gel batteries, Regular Acid sealed batteries and a lot of different prices. Any help would be appreciated.
  • Similar Tagged Content

• By Kevin Vlogs
      Does anybody know how to determine which of the 2 key blanks fits my ATV. I have called several dealers, and Polaris and nobody seems to know which key fits which ATV. I thought with the ViN number they could look it up, but apparently not. I hate to spend the money at Polaris for a key blank and then pay a locksmith to cut it, but the locksmiths around me don't have the Polaris keys in stock. I find them on Amazon and places, but I can't tell which key blank is right for my ATV. Any help would be appreciated.
    • By RAYAR
      Something I've noticed with the AWD on/off operation. When AWD switch is in the on position and the AWD light is on (trans engaged), turning the AWD switch off kills the engine. With trans in neutral, AWD light is off, turning switch off does not kill engine. Since I don't have the operators manual yet, I'm wondering if this is normal operation?
      Thanks, Ray
    • By Georgeann Stricklin
      View File 2014 Polaris Sportsman 570 EFI EPS Owners Manual
      2014 Polaris Sportsman 570 EFI and Sportsman 570 EPS Owner's Manual for Maintenance and Safety
      Submitter Georgeann Stricklin Submitted 06/10/2019 Category Polaris ATV  
    • By Georgeann Stricklin
      2014 Polaris Sportsman 570 EFI and Sportsman 570 EPS Owner's Manual for Maintenance and Safety
    • By weblex
      Problem: The ATV starts and runs at idle perfectly. But as soon as I open the throttle, the engine starts to slow down until it stops. On the attached video you can hear the sound of how it works: see video below
      Prehistory: there is a Polaris Sportsman 500 1998, which for about 1.5 years stood in repair, including also replacing CDI with one taken from the same ATV. Finally, the vehicles were on wheels, traveled several kilometers and overheated - forgot to fill the antifreeze Came back home in small moves. The next trip started well, but after 10 km there was a feeling of a small drop in power (even as the vehicle got warm completely) but still drives. Next trip - the situation is repeated. The next test of ATV through time and a huge loss of power from the very beginning. The engine sneezes, does not want to go more than 5 mph.

What has been done: the carburetor has been replaced with a new one (inexpensive, $ 40), a new spark plug, a new ignition coil, the engine head has been removed, the piston is in good condition, valves were corrected - but the problem was definitely not in them.

Ignition control unit is suspected. Who faced similar? Please help in solving the problem.
      Thanks in advance.