Quantcast

• Do you own an ATV or UTV? Join our Forum!

As a member, you can post in our forums, upload your photos and videos, use and contribute to our downloads, create your own member page, add your ATV events, and even start your own ATV club to host your own club forum and gallery.  Registration is fast and you can even login with social network accounts to sync your profiles and content.

Two stroke cylinder, hone or no? 1995 Polaris 400L

Hi I'm working on a 1995 Polaris explorer 400 two stroke, and I had planned to put in a new wiseco piston and rings and just hone the cylinder. I think it overheated at some point and the rings did not move freely in the old piston. The clymer manual I'm using doesn't really have much information as far as honing the cylinders on a rebuild, but I've been doing some reading and it seems that some cylinders are plated with some type of chrome or nickle plating but I'm not sure how to tell if it has been plated and if so with what. The Wiseco instructions say that their rings cannot be used in chrome plated cylinders. Any information on this topic would be greatly appreciated. 

Edited by NeedsWork
Forgot to put atv info in title
  • NeedsWork changed the title to Two stroke cylinder, hone or no? 1995 Polaris 400L

Maybe someone with more knowledge than me can comment on Polaris 2 stroke specifically, but on nickel plated cylinders in general you're fine to give it a quick hone.  Really needs a good crosshatch to seat the new rings.  The nickel plating just means you can't bore it oversized without having to plate it again.  Interesting catch on Wiseco rings though, i've never noticed any advice against chrome plated cylinders.  Probably because the rings are softer than chrome and will just eat down.  Then again, I don't think I've ever had anything with chrome a chrome plated cylinder wall.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Tagged Content

• By Weldingrod47
      Trying to change front wheel bearings. I removed the cotter pin and castle nut. Hub won't budge. Is there an additional retaining clip? Seems to be one of those push on type that barbs on the thread of the spindle. How do I remove it?
    • By hsdtech
      Whats up fellas. My popo smokes a LOT. I unhooked the oil injection (didn't use the block off plate) and premixed, and it still smokes way too much. Would a leaking water pump seal cause this?
      1997 sportsman 400L 4x4