Quantcast

new here... 1985 lt250ef ?? I think

mbLT250EF

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I'm new to the forum but have a bit of experience with older suzuki atv's.  I have a 1985 Suzuki Lt250ef, it is a good machine when it works, the first issue I had with mine was that somebody put the wrong carburetor on it beacuse they got one from amazon that was "universal" but it barely fit and didn't work at all.  I found an original carburetor, the way to know if it is the right one is original carburetors for this model have the remote choke thing on the side of the carburetor.  After I got that fixed it had low compression so I did a top end rebuild on it.  I got a original suzuki gasket and piston rings.  I only had about $100 into it at that point because I got every thing off ebay.  Then after the rebuild it had inconsistant spark, one day it would have spark the next day it wouldn't.  I found the issue to be the pickup coil, I looked and a whole stator was $500 so I looked up suzuki pickup coil and it looked the same so I just spliced the wires and used that one and it seemed to work, besides the first time i put it in upside down and had to take it apart again and flip it.  After I did all that it ran great and ended up with like $130 into it.  If you have any questions about it ask, I don't have a manual but I do have a wiring diagram so if you need that I can post a picture of it.

To see if it's going to start you take the spark plug out and check if it's got spark. If it has then you put petrol in, apply the choke and try to start it.

If it starts then warm it up and try driving it and check the running.

If it doesn't start after a few minutes of trying, then you take the spark plug out again and see if it's wet or dry. If it's dry then you need to check fuel's getting to the carby, by loosening the drain bung at the bottom of the carby if it has one, or pulling the fuel pipe off the carby and checking fuel's getting that far. If the spark plug\s wet but it didn't start then turn the choke off and have another go at trying it. If it still doesn't start, turn the fuel tap off and keep trying to start it. If it doesn't start after a few minutes of trying then pull the spark plug again and check again whether it is wet or dry, and if it still has spark. If it tries to start after a bit of cranking with the choke and the fuel tap off, then it probably needs a bit of careful juggling of the throttle, and trying the fuel tap on and then off till it catches and gains revs.. Just keep on checking if the plugs getting fuel, and that it's not soaked in fuel, and turning the fuel and choke on or off depending on how it is. When they haven't been going for a while you often have to carefully coax them into life with careful throttle application, generally just giving them small amounts of throttle till they start to try and run, then holding the throttle at that position till it clears itself and revs up.

Let us know how you get on with those two checks, (spark and fuel), and we can talk you through what to do next.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Forum Topics

• By Mhatayas
      What should I do about this , bad oil leak where the filter cover bolts on . Can I use some gasket maker 

• By Uglyside38
      I have a 1988 Quadrunner 250 2wd. My brother in law sold it to my son for $20...had been sitting outside for several years. Got it home and had it running in about 30 mins. Ran it a bit and then went to looking at the carb as it was having trouble idling. Was getting it pretty close, then started losing spark...Also, it wouldn't start up every time...only about 1 in 5 tries. Anyway...now, it has what I can only describe as "intermittent" spark. I can get 1 light spark right when the start button is pressed and sometimes one when it's released...but none while cranking. 🤷‍♂️

I have replaced the spark plug, ignition coil/wire, and traced wires best I can. I noticed a couple frayed wires at the pickup coil where it enters the case. So, now I have the cover off, stator and pickup coil out and trying to test the coil. I do have about 114 ohms resistance for pickup best I can tell. And I can read minute voltage when I drag a magnet across it. Could it still be bad? Can a bad ignition switch/button cause this? (I did have the switch off to oil the choke cable)...pulling rope makes no difference though...any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated!!! It's the intermittent part that's throwing me off! 

• By rgeiser
      View File 2003 Polaris Ranger 400-500 service manual
      2003 Polaris Ranger 400-500 service manual
      Submitter rgeiser Submitted 04/18/2024 Category Polaris UTV  
    • By hardcastle
      My friends KQ 300 starts fine and runs, as soon as you put it in gear and try to accelerate its bucks and farts like crazy, not moving... I cleaned carb and it worked good for 1 day... now back to same problem.... could it be such as a bent valve????
    • By ResQ91
      Hi Guys!

New member and could really use your advice. I would have to believe this has been an issue for others but a search here came up with nothing......? (Probably me not doing search correctly)

I have an 87 Big Bear 350 YFM350FWT
      The OEM Mikuni BTM carb is shot and would rather replace than rebuild.
      It is no longer made and I have had good luck with NICHE carbs so I ordered a #K-CRB-0006 This was what they said was replacement when ordered. This Carb only uses 1 Throttle cable. The Slide is linked so it uses one. (OEM had 2nd cable coming through top to move slide)

Problem is when I ordered a replacement Cable from NICHE (#C-CBL-0061) the Cable wire is a little short, not allowing Throttle to return all the way down to Idle position. I called NICHE and they are at a loss. Haven't gotten back to me after 2+ weeks.

What would you recommend other than a carb rebuild?
      Can I just use 1 of the OEM cables (It is the right length) and snip/disconnect the other that went to top of Carb for Slide?
      Or ??

Thanks in advance for any advice you have!!

Dave