Quantcast

new from Tennessee

coyote56

Hello everyone,

I just joined hoping to find a board that is more active than the ones I currently use. It seems everyone has gone to facebook now and that really just annoys me... its too hard to keep track of posts you interested in.

Anyway.. I live on the boarder of middle and eastern Tennessee. I am a Suzuki guy. I currently own a 2020 Suzuki King Quad 500, a Arctic Cat 90 for my niece and I am working on restoring a 1997 Suzuki Quad Runner 250. I am hoping to find some help with that project here.

• Like 1

Welcome to QUADCRAZY! Facebook has taken a toll on forums over the years but to your point, tracking what you post and the overall experience sucks. Nowadays I find that most people google search an issue and then find a site for a solution. You can never find it off google on facebook because its locked down. You'll find this site as with others has a lot of "help" topics. People come and don't hang around as much. They reserve that for other sites like facebook. We do have some long time members that are awesome. I'm a king quad fan, currently have a grizzly but always loved my king quad when I had it.

19 minutes ago, Ajmboy said:

Welcome to QUADCRAZY! Facebook has taken a toll on forums over the years but to your point, tracking what you post and the overall experience sucks. Nowadays I find that most people google search an issue and then find a site for a solution. You can never find it off google on facebook because its locked down. You'll find this site as with others has a lot of "help" topics. People come and don't hang around as much. They reserve that for other sites like facebook. We do have some long time members that are awesome. I'm a king quad fan, currently have a grizzly but always loved my king quad when I had it.

yeah, I am getting ready to delete my facebook account. I am tired of it and the drama that comes with it. I am hoping people start migrating back to what made the internet so great for enthusiasts. It seemed you used to be able to find forums for just about anything you were into with hundreds of posts a day. A ton of information on the subject you were looking at.

I am already finding this one useful, I have been reading through Another One back from the Dead by Hagbard.

Edited by coyote56
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, coyote56 said:

I am hoping people start migrating back to what made the internet so great for enthusiasts. It seemed you used to be able to find forums for just about anything you were into with hundreds of posts a day.

Me too. Big tech companies want everything. The problem is that they will never be as good as a site in a niche. The younger generation wants nothing to do with Facebook so the landscape is changing slowly.

10 hours ago, Freedomflyer said:

Welcome, I am guilty of not posting here as often as I should, busy life. I don't do Facebook and don't plan on it, my wife is always staring into her phone, annoying! Hope you can find what you're looking for here.  Sorry but I can't help you, I'm a Can Am guy.

yeah... don't get me started on my old lady and the phone. I think those things are contributing to the downfall of society. If I didn't have to have one for work, I would be more than happy to throw that thing in the trash can.

20 hours ago, Freedomflyer said:

Any pics of your machines or area you ride? Gotta be some pretty area there. 

Honestly I have not taken the new bike off my farm land yet. We have about 200 acres or so. We do have Pickett State Forest about 40 miles to the north as the bird flies. I have taken my jeep up there a lot, amazing scenery and then about 60 miles away is Windrock which is also a great park. Here are a few pics of my rides. Also a link to a jeep ride with some members of my Jeep club including (at that time) a member of the Tennessee Titans. It became funny on that ride because we came up on a group of side by sides that had an accident, fairly serious. The guy had just flipped it on its side in a deep mud puddle. We jumped out to help, got them out and made sure they were ok. The guy was thanking and shaking everyones hand his side by side was all decked out in Titans flags and colors and he was wearing a shirt and had no idea it was one of their running backs that had helped pull him out. We got a laugh out of it later. The old quadrunner is what I am currently working on restoring and the Arctic Cat 90 is what I bought for my niece.

tumblr_d7cf6dfbff963b9a548e53fb6d2e58c0_d6edbe91_1280.jpg

tumblr_fa7cf1bf869b449c9e55661b1bb41f6b_986316d4_1280.jpg

1.jpg.dc2f200873a0d0c3215ccf7a2b70cab8.jpg

241442934_4461971513846122_1725138972148655077_n.jpg

Very cool video! I'm too much of a wuss to put my machines through the paces in mud, I hate cleaning them up. Wouldn't be bad if the wife came out and helped,🙄 she just gets on turns the key and gets it dirty. And........POOF!!! The next time she gets on...........it's squeaky clean, hmmmm.......that was easy. 😄 

Nice King Quad, Suzuki's are pretty bullet proof machines. Kind of you to get the 90 for your niece  she'll have a blast. Don't know much about the era of the one you're working on, I just know Suzuki made a tough machine.

We don't have parks we ride in here in Montana. We have access to Forest service property, 17 million acres worth and BLM property, (Bureau Of Land Management) 8.3 million acres worth of that as well, not that we have trails on every acre of those properties but there are thousands and thousands of miles to ride in the Western half of the state. We used to be able to ride the trails just by having a permanent offroad registration sticker but 2 years ago they started making us buy a trail sticker for each machine that is good for 2 years, mine expire at the end of this year, so will have to get 2 new ones on January. $20.00 for 2 years, not terrible,  more of an inconvenience than anything. We have quite a few trailheads within 20-30 minutes from our house, and often when we're out,  very rarely see anyone on the trails. The only drawback is we have limited times that we can ride,  beings we are at the altitude we're at, some of our trails don't open until the middle of June and some close the middle of October, others December 1st. Too much snow,  if they open them up people will tear them to shreds then they become very dangerous. And some of them are fairly technical even when they are bone dry,  a wrong move and you can slide off a trail and drop along ways before stopping, so a bit unnerving at times when we get caught in the rain or come to an icy or snowpack trail in early spring on the ones that do open.  I feel pretty blessed to live where we do and to have the freedom to ride on our local forested mountains. Here's a couple of pics of my machines,  I'll personal message you with some other pics that I've already posted on this forum,  don't need to bore anyone with repeat pics.

20210403_195744.jpg

20210403_214844.jpg

17 hours ago, Freedomflyer said:

Nice King Quad, Suzuki's are pretty bullet proof machines. Kind of you to get the 90 for your niece  she'll have a blast. Don't know much about the era of the one you're working on, I just know Suzuki made a tough machine.

We don't have parks we ride in here in Montana. We have access to Forest service property, 17 million acres worth and BLM property, (Bureau Of Land Management) 8.3 million acres worth of that as well, not that we have trails on every acre of those properties but there are thousands and thousands of miles to ride in the Western half of the state. We used to be able to ride the trails just by having a permanent offroad registration sticker but 2 years ago they started making us buy a trail sticker for each machine that is good for 2 years, mine expire at the end of this year, so will have to get 2 new ones on January. $20.00 for 2 years, not terrible,  more of an inconvenience than anything. We have quite a few trailheads within 20-30 minutes from our house, and often when we're out,  very rarely see anyone on the trails. The only drawback is we have limited times that we can ride,  beings we are at the altitude we're at, some of our trails don't open until the middle of June and some close the middle of October, others December 1st. Too much snow,  if they open them up people will tear them to shreds then they become very dangerous. And some of them are fairly technical even when they are bone dry,  a wrong move and you can slide off a trail and drop along ways before stopping, so a bit unnerving at times when we get caught in the rain or come to an icy or snowpack trail in early spring on the ones that do open.  I feel pretty blessed to live where we do and to have the freedom to ride on our local forested mountains. Here's a couple of pics of my machines,  I'll personal message you with some other pics that I've already posted on this forum,  don't need to bore anyone with repeat pics.

I started off as a kid with Polaris, then a Yamaha, then a Honda and then I got a Suzuki and I haven't looked back since. I guess the old Honda would be a second favorite but I had issues with it. The Suzuki I had as a teenager was a Quad Runner 250 4x4 like I am working on. It was used and got its fair share of abuse with hard riding. I still never had any issue with it. The one I am working on has had more than its fair share of abuse, but this is mostly by poor maintenance by the previous owner.

I have spent a lot of time out in the western states. I just came back from Colorado. I was out there for a week for work. I would love to come out there and do some riding, beautiful scenery. The only thing that concerns me about being in the wilderness out there is the fact you guys have grizzlies lol. We only have black bears here and they act more like over grown stray dogs than ferocious bears. They can provide for some humor when you come across them on the trails but a grizzly on the other hand wouldn't be nearly as entertaining. Our families property was once a recognized animal preserve. We have a little bit of everyone from Foxes, Coyotes, Black Bear, Deer, Rabbit... my niece loves to try and see how many different animals she can spot on rides. The only problem with that here is that we have had an influx of new people moving in and new subdivisions popping up. Trespassing has become a big problem for us, especially during hunting seasons. We are always catching people on the property. I have a few videos of some snow rides I did last year, we don't get a lot of snow here so it was a special treat to have a white Christmas last year.... even if some nut job blew up the AT&T Building in Nashville...

I know a gal that is a Veterinarian that works for the Fish Wildlife and Parks, I kind of put her on the spot regarding Grizzly Bears and asked her what her thoughts were about people hunting them. She didn't even hesitate when she said, and I quote, "If they had people hunting them, we (FWP), would have to kill a lot less of them" she said "There are way too many of them and they need to learn respect and fear of humans again, it's time to open hunting season on Grizzlies again."  The tree huggers would absolutely flip out but it is getting bad in certain areas around here, and areas in Wyoming and Idaho.  Same thing with the Wolves their population exploded when they reintroduced them into Yellowstone Park, they have decimated the Elk population.  They finally delisted them and opened a hunting season on them, it is helping some but there are so many it's going to take a while to get them back under control, same needs to happen with Grizzlies,  they were never a problem until the greenness got involved.