Quantcast

1995 Yamaha Big Bear idle issue? Or clutch?

Richard1234

I picked up a Big Bear 350 and took it out for my initial drive.  Runs good but noticed that sitting in neutral the rpm would slowly increase so that shifting into gear produced a strong jerk forward, and then revs would stay down.  It seemed worse as it warmed up.  Happened every time I let it sit a while idling in neutral.  (It also seemed to make reverse hard to engage.) 

Is this typical, or is it a carb issue, or is it a clutch adjustment issue?  Any advice appreciated. 

• Ajmboy changed the title to 1995 Yamaha Big Bear idle issue? Or clutch?

it sounds like a carb issue. Clean it really good and make sure to clean the jets with a fine wire like out of an old brake cable. and check the fuel. make sure it isnt bad and make sure it flows out of the petcock. i am on my second big bear and it will run forever if properly maintained. And i traded the first one for a camper trailer when i was homeless that was worth triple what i paid for the quad. I missed it and when the opportunity arose to get the current one i jumped on it as fast as i could

oh yeah check and clean the spark plug as well. and let us know what it looks like. For example is it gray and dry or black and wet or clean as a whistle or wet and clean. these are just a few examples of the description you can give.

• Like 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Forum Topics

• By BruceG
      Hi guys. I have a problem where the quad will start and run well for about 5 minutes and then it dies. On inspection the airbox has oil in it (quite a lot). The oil is pumping through the cylinder head breather hose. This problem first happened suddenly. I have since done the top end including, piston, gaskets, rings and valves. I have also done the carb (not that I thought that this was the problem). The compression seems normal. The only thing that I can think of, is that I did not grind the valves well enough. Anyone experienced this? If so, how did you fix it? Any other thoughts?
    • By ResQ91
      Hi Guys!

New member and could really use your advice. I would have to believe this has been an issue for others but a search here came up with nothing......? (Probably me not doing search correctly)

I have an 87 Big Bear 350 YFM350FWT
      The OEM Mikuni BTM carb is shot and would rather replace than rebuild.
      It is no longer made and I have had good luck with NICHE carbs so I ordered a #K-CRB-0006 This was what they said was replacement when ordered. This Carb only uses 1 Throttle cable. The Slide is linked so it uses one. (OEM had 2nd cable coming through top to move slide)

Problem is when I ordered a replacement Cable from NICHE (#C-CBL-0061) the Cable wire is a little short, not allowing Throttle to return all the way down to Idle position. I called NICHE and they are at a loss. Haven't gotten back to me after 2+ weeks.

What would you recommend other than a carb rebuild?
      Can I just use 1 of the OEM cables (It is the right length) and snip/disconnect the other that went to top of Carb for Slide?
      Or ??

Thanks in advance for any advice you have!!

Dave
    • By HSTAR
      Hey I have a 1997 big bear 350 4x4
      I replaced the shifter shaft and the shift arm linkage and the rod when I installed them all I was unaware that you had to line the dot on the shifter shaft with the gap on the linkage arm gap put it all back  together and rode it I can't get it to shift in the right gears  I can move the shift cam by hand and goes in different gears but with the shifter shaft in it riding I can't put it in R or N 
      Anyone know how to line up the shifter shaft and the shift cam s

• By dalton7545
      ive had an account for years.   cand dowload a manual tho   havent posted enought so here is a post
    • By BuckBilly
      Good morning to all !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
      Let's see if we can make this a daily event.