Quantcast

2014 Honda Trx420 Idling Problems?

RpFarm25

I've got a 2014 Honda Trx420 that I'm having some issues with all of a sudden. I don't have very much experience with fuel injection so hoping someone can point me in the right direction. I bought this unit new and I've never had any issues with it ever until now.

When I first start it, it seams to take a few extra cranks to fire up than usual, and then when it does fire it will only run for a second or 2 and then die out right away. Without cycling the key off and on again, I can crank it again and the same thing happens, running a little rough and I want to say I think I can hear the odd puff in the air box and then dies out again. A few more of these and it will start to slowly run a little longer each time, until finally the engine will idle on it's own. After its been idling for a little while and the engine seams to be at operating temps, then it seams to run great, I have no issues with idling or lack of power after that, and I can shut it off and it will start back up right away, unless I let it sit again for a few hours and then it's back to the beginning.

New spark plug, Clean fuel tank, new gas and never sits long enough for the gas to go bad anyway. battery shows 12 volts and battery tester shows good when a load is put on. I quickly checked the IACV and looked a little dirty so I cleaned it up and cycled the key with it removed and it spun the way it should. No change. I can hear the fuel pump running as normal when I first turn the key on. Computer isn't flashing any codes or engine light either.  Put an an inline spark tester on to make sure nothing was cutting off the spark and it shows good consistent spark.

I thought at first that it might be starving for fuel, but seams odd that it would get better once it was running for a while. I thought about changing the fuel filter right away but this model has the filter in the fuel pump and it would be a week at least before I can get a rebuild kit in my hands. Again I lack experience with these new models so I appreciate any and all advice. I use this machine nearly everyday on my farm and with calving coming up soon I need it to be reliable again.

• 1 year later...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Forum Topics

• By mehim
      Hi everyone. 
      Let me explain the thread title. 
      My husband and I are very active in the nudist community, and we have stayed at many and most of the mainstream nudist and clothing optional campgrounds in the USA. We are now approaching our retirement and would like to start a podcast to share those off the road / backwoods / little known camping areas where nudity is allowed. We have purchased a 5th wheel camping trailer with a rear garage for the ATV and now need some good reports on the one to buy. 
      We are most interested in a side by side unit but would love to get your thoughts. 
      Feel free to stop by and say Hi and ask anything you would like to better understand what we are looking for in an offroad unit. 
      Thanks for reading and hope to hear from you. 

• By semicolon
      Hi, I am having issues with my TRX350D fuel pump.  It suddenly stopped running so I have replaced all the fuses and cleaned all the terminals.  I have fitted a new pump, fuel cut-off relay and rectifier.  Still nothing!!  The pump runs when attached to a battery.  The engine will start on the choke and the filter fills with fuel but it will  not rev and dies when the choke is closed. I have power to the relay but nothing at the pump black/white wire when cranking the engine.  Any ideas where to go from here would be very much appreciated!!

• By Gwbarm
      I have been exploring all the options available, so many, its hard to choose. I have kind of narrowed it down to the Honda Pilot, Subaru Outback, and Kind of looking at the Outlander, although its a little small,  the new one is nice looking. Just wondering if anyone has any recommendations or gripes with any of these rides. I have driven Jeeps for the past 25  years and they have been great, but their price point has gotten to high. Expieriences good or bad would be helpful. Thanks!
    • By Admin
      View File 2006-2011 Honda Rincon TRX 680 FA/FGA service manual
      2006-2011 Honda Rincon TRX 680 FA/FGA service manual
      Submitter Admin Submitted 04/09/2024 Category Honda ATV  
    • By DrtyGrlKristin
      Just thought I'd start a new thread for newbies to the site!
      If you're new here, tell us who you are, where you're from and what you ride!!!
      Lets get to know each other a little better shall we?
      I'm not new to the site, obviously, but...
      I'm Kristin from Denver!!! I ride a 2008 Yamaha Rhino. She's my muddy baby!!!!!! Several aftermarket parts on her. She's good to me! We try and ride every weekend. This weekend we're off to MOAB! :woot: