Quantcast

Suzuki LTF230 12V charging system issues

Go to solution Solved by Mech,

Hi All,
 I've been going through the manual trying to get the charging system on this old LTF230 to work properly,  and ran down sections 8-6 through 8-11 in the manual; http://www.crservice.dk/Suzuki%20ATV/LTF250/LT-F250_01E.pdf#G2.1000137

I checked the resistance of the generator coils, verified they are within range, checked the open-circuit AC voltage of the generator and found it to vary between about 24-60V on all three legs, and then replaced the regulator/rectifier.  When I tested the new regulator/rectifier, the tester probes give me the correct voltages doing the diode test.  However, when the engine is running and rectifier attached, it heats up and at an idle produces around 9VDC, but when I rev the engine it drops to around 1VDC and heats up, as most of the energy appears to dissipate as heat.  I am testing the DC output with only the 3 wires from the alternator connected up to the regulator unit.  Is this a bad regulator/rectifier, or do I need to connect the negative to chassis ground and positive to the battery terminal before I see something around 13V from the regulator? 

I took off the cover and removed the stator coils, they are in perfect shape and this is not the issue.

Also, I have hooked the battery to the starter relay, when i click the starter relay closed the starter motor will turn when it is removed from the engine, but when installed it does not have sufficient force to turn the crankshaft of the engine but simply makes some noise and vibrates.    Should I replace the starter motor or take it apart to inspect the brushes? I'd like to get the charging system and starter motor to work; as I'm tired of cranking over the engine by hand.

Thanks in advance! 

• Solution

You need the battery in there to do any meaningful output tests. The regulator will get hot if it's trying to control an open circuit voltage. They work by shorting the excessive power to earth, but they are also designed in anticipation of about one to two amps(make and model) load always going into the battery.

The starters wear out brushes regularly. it's an easy fix. They sell new brushes, springs etc all on  new brush holder plate. cheap !

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

That fixed it! 13+V once I had connected it to the battery.  It was overheating when it wasn't connected.  I had make a wiring harness from scratch using the new regulator, new starter relay, new starter, battery, key switch and handlebar switch.  Looks like it all works as expected.  May add lights and winch.  The starter clutch sounds godawful.