Quantcast

brake problems

tjakes680

I have a 1986 quadrunner 230 GE so the problem is I can not get any pressure in front brake lever I know this means a leak possibly or air  but i opened all wheel cylinders and found one with a torn dust cover i had a spare cover and then pulled calipers soaked in brake fluid reinstalled amd still no pressure I can get fluid to come out of bleeders at wheels but cant build pressure Should and what if anything should i chk at master cylinder ? thanks guys 

1A8253DA-4151-497B-B06C-AFF078FAD2CB.jpeg

9368ED21-1288-48B7-A2DA-44B7B90F0DEB.jpeg

Those dust covers aren't going to do much good with that gap between them and the cylinder. And the pistons look pretty dirty too ?

I presume you did have the brake drum on when you were bleeding the brakes. I'd check at the master cylinder that there was actually pressure. I'd take the pipe/hose off somewhere and block it with my thumb and try pumping fluid through. If it got fluid, and some pressure, then I'd reconnect and try bleeding at the wheels. It's always a good idea to pump the lever up to as much pressure as you can, then undo the bleeder suddenly so you get a fast flush of fluid through, which will carry the air with it. If you pump slowly, or open the bleeder slowly, an air bubble can rise up against the downward flow of fluid.

I think though that you need to check the condition of those cylinders.. The springs should pull the pistons back in.. the rubber boots should fit, and stay over the cylinders. I'd get two screwdrivers and hook them into the backing plate and pressing against the brake shoes, and then keeping pressure on both shoes, I'd lever them both right in, then from side to side a little to make sure they moved nicely.

2 hours ago, Mech said:

Those dust covers aren't going to do much good with that gap between them and the cylinder. And the pistons look pretty dirty too ?

I presume you did have the brake drum on when you were bleeding the brakes. I'd check at the master cylinder that there was actually pressure. I'd take the pipe/hose off somewhere and block it with my thumb and try pumping fluid through. If it got fluid, and some pressure, then I'd reconnect and try bleeding at the wheels. It's always a good idea to pump the lever up to as much pressure as you can, then undo the bleeder suddenly so you get a fast flush of fluid through, which will carry the air with it. If you pump slowly, or open the bleeder slowly, an air bubble can rise up against the downward flow of fluid.

I think though that you need to check the condition of those cylinders.. The springs should pull the pistons back in.. the rubber boots should fit, and stay over the cylinders. I'd get two screwdrivers and hook them into the backing plate and pressing against the brake shoes, and then keeping pressure on both shoes, I'd lever them both right in, then from side to side a little to make sure they moved nicely.

this was before cleaning cylinders and changing dust covers i have cleaned them replaced dust covers and have them looking pretty nice and sealed now Witch is what i thought would fix the problem im going to do a reverse bleed and see what i can get .I know the cylinders are moving good also I used some fine emory cloth and cleaned them up soaked them in brake fluid and they seemed to be good i do have new springs coming also im going to do what u mentioned to chk hose for leaks but im almost positive there is no leak Maybe the drum was not seated against the wheel back plate as good as it should be ill chk on this as wheels are still off thanks will post results 

Edited by tjakes680

I also see the adjusters are right back in. Are you sure they were adjusted out correctly when you were trying to bleed and get pressure. You might have trouble bleeding, or getting pressure, if the shoes have to move too far before they contact the drum.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Mech said:

I also see the adjusters are right back in. Are you sure they were adjusted out correctly when you were trying to bleed and get pressure. You might have trouble bleeding, or getting pressure, if the shoes have to move too far before they contact the drum.

The adjusters should be ok the wheel is spinning freely  but good point ill look into that its difficult to find any parts at all for these brakes I did manage to find some new springs these were rusty and very tight i dont know if thats a problem

• 2 months later...
5 minutes ago, LesterL said:

Im having similar issues, guess I need to pull the drums off and look at mine now.... 🙂

yes I found some new caliper inserts and duat covers from a 85 and 87 lt 230 but now i have to rebuild my master cylinder i just been so busy this summer but was planning on getting on it this week now that summers over u can find a MC replacement for 20$ on ebay