Quantcast

1985 Suzuki LT 250 EF - Fuel issue

BFloyd

Hello all, my first post, be gentle.  My son just purchased a 1985 LT 250 EF and we can’t seem to get fuel to carburetor?  The fuel lines are good, we vacuumed some fuel from the main and reserve lines, but still can’t get it to the bowl when starting.  Our compression isn’t the greatest (120), and we will be doing a leak down test when the test kit gets here.  In the meantime, I’m thinking fuel pump issues?  Is there a way to test the fuel pump? Or any other suggestions?  Thanks

And no we don’t have the service manual for the LT 250 EF yet, it came with the “1985-1990 Suzuki LT230 & LT250 Service * Repair * Maintenance Manual” which is close but not correct.

• Like 1

• Admin changed the title to 1985 Suzuki LT 250 EF - Fuel issue

!20 lbs should be enough to get it going. I'd check the valve clearances though because a tight inlet(or exhaust), will bugger up the vacuum which the pump needs.

If your fuel tap has off, on and res then fuel should flow out freely on either of the two running positions. If the tap has on, prime and res, then it needs a vacuum applied to the back of it to make fuel flow on either of the two running positions, but fuel should flow freely in the prime position. If fuel doesn't flow freely in either type then you need to take the tap out and check it's sieve which is inside the tank.

The fuel pump operates off vacuum.
The way to test the fuel pump is, with the tap on, pull the fuel hose off the carby, and lay it on it's side into a bottle. Then find the vacuum hose that goes to the pump. On most models it's a fatter middle hose on the left side of the carby. The fuel hose is left rear. Trace both hoses though to be sure. The other hose on the left side supplies vacuum to the tap. So, with the fuel hose on it's side in a bottle, suck two or three times hard on the pump vacuum hose till there is a good strong vacuum built up, then release it suddenly. The fuel should come out of the fuel hose as a full diameter slug of petrol about ten or so mills long. If the fuel comes out full diameter then the pump works, but we need to test it is getting enough vacuum with the motor running. The pump needs a nice strongly fluctuating vacuum to work, so if the vacuum hose is old and soft, or been replaced with thin walled hose, the hose can partially collapse with the fluctuations causing not enough fluctuation at the pump. Check the vacuum hose is thick walled and sound.

You could prime the carby by putting the fuel hose back on the carby and sucking repeatedly on the pumps vacuum hose, or, gravity feed fuel to the carby to fill it for the next test.

To test it running, we leave the fuel hose in the bottle, on it's side(on it's side is important), but we reconnect the vacuum hose to the carby. Start the motor and with it idling the fuel should come pulsing out of the fuel hose, still pretty near full diameter but a shorter squirt.

There's one more test for the pump once you get the bike running, which is to check the vacuum the bike produces is adequate when the motor is under load. To test that we do all the same test, tap on prime, fuel hose in bottle, vacuum hose on, but we hop on the bike, put the brakes on , start it, put it into gear, and open the throttle till the motor starts laboring. With a load on the motor the vacuum drops away, but if the motor is tuned, the valves adjusted, no air leaks anywhere loosing vacuum, there should still be enough vacuum to keep a near full diameter slightly pulsing flow of fuel out of the fuel hose laying on it's side. If you have the hose dangling down, the fuel dribbles out continuously and it's real hard to tell if it's a decent full diameter flow.

• Like 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Forum Topics

• By semicolon
      Hi, I am having issues with my TRX350D fuel pump.  It suddenly stopped running so I have replaced all the fuses and cleaned all the terminals.  I have fitted a new pump, fuel cut-off relay and rectifier.  Still nothing!!  The pump runs when attached to a battery.  The engine will start on the choke and the filter fills with fuel but it will  not rev and dies when the choke is closed. I have power to the relay but nothing at the pump black/white wire when cranking the engine.  Any ideas where to go from here would be very much appreciated!!

• By Mhatayas
      My uncle bought a Baja 250, 2006. Knew there was no spark since the get go. He don't know anything about quads so is getting me to help him try to get it running...

battery is bad so I connected battery charger to it to crank it over , cranks over well , but no spark .... 
      Lights and everything work fine , but with each crank over using the e start switch , the display reads 999 888 777 666 ... Right down to 000 and repeats itself . 

He managed to get a parts bike , I changed over the CDI and the coil and the stator from the parts bike and there was another black box by the voltage regulator I changed over ... I used my multimeter to confirm as much as I could works , it's hard without knowing which wires are which , and I cannot find any diagrams online for this bike ? 

Do you think it could be the Killswitch? There's so many wires coming from there I don't know where to start . Also I should mention it appears the fan on the front of the bike has been taken off (the wires have been cut too ) 

If this bike sparked it would run . The previous owner said he parked it one day and it just wouldn't start after.
    • By Gwbarm
      I Ran across this video today comparing an aftermarket to OEM Carb on Suzuki Vinson, thought it might generate some interest, it is quite long but informative.

• By Mhatayas
      What should I do about this , bad oil leak where the filter cover bolts on . Can I use some gasket maker 

• By Uglyside38
      I have a 1988 Quadrunner 250 2wd. My brother in law sold it to my son for $20...had been sitting outside for several years. Got it home and had it running in about 30 mins. Ran it a bit and then went to looking at the carb as it was having trouble idling. Was getting it pretty close, then started losing spark...Also, it wouldn't start up every time...only about 1 in 5 tries. Anyway...now, it has what I can only describe as "intermittent" spark. I can get 1 light spark right when the start button is pressed and sometimes one when it's released...but none while cranking. 🤷‍♂️

I have replaced the spark plug, ignition coil/wire, and traced wires best I can. I noticed a couple frayed wires at the pickup coil where it enters the case. So, now I have the cover off, stator and pickup coil out and trying to test the coil. I do have about 114 ohms resistance for pickup best I can tell. And I can read minute voltage when I drag a magnet across it. Could it still be bad? Can a bad ignition switch/button cause this? (I did have the switch off to oil the choke cable)...pulling rope makes no difference though...any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated!!! It's the intermittent part that's throwing me off!