Quantcast

2010 Honda rancher Trax 420 Will not engage in reverse

Hi I'm new to the site thank you in advance for your help and your time. I was hoping if anyone would be able to help me figure out why my rancher fourtrax reverse all of a sudden just doesn't work. I was plowing late one night and it was pretty cold out and the reverse worked fine. Then the next thing I know I go into reverse to back up again and it shifts down into reverse just fine that's not the problem but when I actually try to move in reverse the four wheeler just hops around like the tires want to move and they're trying to move however nothing will make it move it's weird. I don't know if it is the tires that are actually doing the hopping/movement or what it is but its like the back end just starts hopping / bouncing all around and stuff it's really strange actually lol but yeah 😣😕
~Deanndra

Hi. There are two types of transmission in those, an automatic, and a manual with or without an electric shift, do you know what sort of transmission it is?

If it drives in forwards but not in reverse it sounds like the gearbox has bust something(reverse gear). There's a small chance the back axle is playing up but I'd suspect the gearbox. You could get someone to look at the drive shaft going from the engine to the rear axle while it's doing the shuddering to see if the shaft is turning steadily or whether it's shuddering too. If the shaft is turning steadily but the real wheels are shuddering then it points to the back axle, or, if the shaft is not turning at a constant speed it points to something inside the gearbox.

The next check is to drain and look at the engine oil or back axle oil, depending on what you found in the first inspection, to see if it has metal flakes or chunks in it.

• Like 2

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Forum Topics

• By Admin
      View File 2006-2011 Honda Rincon TRX 680 FA/FGA service manual
      2006-2011 Honda Rincon TRX 680 FA/FGA service manual
      Submitter Admin Submitted 04/09/2024 Category Honda ATV  
    • By DarkRider
      This is something I'm extremely curious about. Has anyone ever attempted to buy a quad (or any other vehicle) from an impound lot? I've always wondered if this could be a bargain, or a waste of time. Google searches do turn up some helpful results. Looks like the state of NJ holds auctions online which I'd be a bit hesitant about.

My online searches haven't really turned up any results of anyone buying an ATV this way. I'd be really curious if anyone tried this, or knows someone who has. I've actually found a couple pages with online auctions for my state, but none had ATVs.
    • By ResQ91
      Hi guys
      My 87 Bear 350 won't start and could use a hand.
      Turn key on and Oil light turns on and then slowly fades out. (I think this is key to this) No start, not even a tick.
      battery and connections good
      A Solenoid post jump turns it over
      Neutral Safety Switch wire attached and seems good
      It has not had a wire/switch on Rear Brake Pedal ever since I had it.
      Any thoughts on some other things to troubleshoot this??
    • By Gwbarm
      My Yamaha Big Bear shifts through all the gears good, goes into reverse smoothly, but when i go to get out of reverse it takes a lot of effort to get it back to first gear, and even then it does not go very smoothly, have to pull up on the pedal really hard, anyone else ever had this problem. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.    
    • By mga
      I have to replace all 4, how much is involved?  Will they slide out of the front yoke? Or, do the boots just slide over the wheel end?