Quantcast

Reverse cable connection for 2000 trx300ex

p5200

The cable was missing when I bought this atv. I'm not sure exactly, what all is missing to use the reverse. There is a small lever that has a notch for a cable and a red button on the left handlebar. Also, there is a linkage on the right side engine cover which has a cable slot also. I'm hoping, when I put that cover back on, the cable lever was in the correct position. Any info on what all is required to get the reverse going on this would be greatly appreciated!

On the left brake handle there is a button you push, and hold the button down and pull the brake lever at the same time, then push the shifter down to go into reverse, the left lever has 2 cable one for brake and one for reverse. The lever I think you are talking about is for the parking brake, it just hold the lever in the pulled position.

• Like 1

Here is the left handle bar and the other, shows the questioned cable running down below the exhaust  on the right side case cover. The last shows some wire wrapped around a lever on side of caliper which I figured is for parking brake. I guess, they did that since the cable is missing. Thanks!

20230329_160549.jpg

20230329_160505.jpg

20230329_160747.jpg

Also, I can't even get a wrench on the bleeding nipple with the hose in the way?

No I sure don't T #8 cable connects to a small lever through the cover. One of my concerns is I hope that lever was in the correct position when I put that cover back on so the reverse will even work or if there is only one way that it will go back on? I need to see where the other end of the cable is on top because it isn't going to the handle bar. What a mess and I really do need the reverse working.image.thumb.png.b6463f37fffd7d5bc74ce3da80ce6c5d.png

It been a long time since I looked at mine, i would go look but its 100 miles away,  the lever should  not have  moved out of place,  you will  have to adjust the cable to get it to work correctly. Once you get the parts you will be able to better see how it all goes together. 

• Like 1

This is the part I'm hoping, I installed back inside the crank cover on right side correctly. I traced the reverse cable to the handlebar and it is hooked up. I should have hooked it back to the cable shaft and I wouldn't have lost the part. I guess I'll have to try to order the end piece that the cable ball slides into. Confused yet? I sure am LOL!  2000 Honda TRX300EX Oem Genuine Reverse Cork Line Cable Shift Shaft With Spring | eBay

Found this while searching not sure if it is legit but thought I would pass it on I might try it when I get the part I need.      I found this mod on a other site so I cant take credit for it....
Anyone who has a 300ex knows getting the 300 into reverse is the biggest pain in the a$$. Put it in neautrel, push the button down, pull in the clutch, reach over and pull up the lever.
When you push down the button and pull the clutch in that pulls the reverse selector arm counter clockwise and allows the ex to be able to be put in reverse.
So the mod is.... Remove the cable from the reverse selector arm. Put a small chain in the reverse selector arm. Pull the reverse selector arm counter clockwise and attach the other end of the chain to the frame. Thats the mod!!!
If the reverse selector arm is chained back and you want to put the ex in reverse all that has to be done is.... Put the ex in neautrel and pull up on the reverse lever!!!!
:icon_ lala:

He is just bypassing having to push the button and pull the lever, im sure it would work fine. I always thought it was kind of annoying the way honda did their reverse switch, but I will say this, it has always worked I have had this honda since the 80s its one of the early TRX 250 a little different from yours, and I have never had to replace the cable or any parts associated with the reverse switch. If your on a tight budget it would certainly be a cheap fix, especially if the parts are expensive. I would do it for a temporary fix, but I like to put things back as close to factory as possible. 

• Like 1