Quantcast

Kawasaki Bayou 220/300 Aftermarket CDI wiring

NiNj0X

Hello all!! I'm new to the forum here and hope to be a regular. I am fairly mechanically inclined and a ticketed small engine mechanic... Yet the infamous meddling gods that rule over our chaotic existence decided I must do this the hard way ..

Got a used machine last summer, bought it KNOWING the machine didn't run but figured it would be an easy fix. The guy said he tried replacing the cdi box with one he bought online and sure as **** it doesn't work. It's garbage and rotted from sitting outside anyway now. Bought a whole wiring harness on Amazon and they sent a stupid mess of components meant to fit on some sort of crappy Chinese 110cc quad despite the product page stating for Bayou 300.

Fast foward, parts returned, bought this Aftermarket CDI bundled with a new regulator for $40 and these also claim to be for my machine, with multiple people leaving reviews that it fit their machine perfectly implying like they just plugged in an were done. This is clearly not the case as this new one has pigtail wires. The old one had a rectangular 6 pin connector socket which I have long ago cut off. Although it was a 6 pin plug originally, only 5 wires were populated in the harness..

New CDI has 5 wires also and I'm REALLY hoping they didn't send me another AC box instead of DC like I presume I need and they screwed me on the last order.

The two wires black and blue on their own are obviously to the pulse coil and I have spliced and taped them accordingly.  The other three wires are where I am dumb stumped and I am unable to express the amount of happiness it would bring me if someone can point me in the right direction!!!

So the last 3 wires are as follows, we have a black wire, a green/white stripe, and a yellow wire. The image I uploaded shows a red wire from what I can tell but mine are Blk/Grn/Yellow.

I tried supplying 12v constantly to the yellow, pulse coil to the seperate black and blue wires, and green touching the red/yellow to ignition coil and black to a blk/yellow ground wire to see what would happen. Nothing while cranking. I was quite sure it definitely isn't hooked up but was trying something before I sat down and gave up..

On a side note, when attaching constant 12v from battery via alligator wire to yellow CDI wire it arcs ever so gently. Was mindful of this and checked box/wiring to make sure it wasn't heating up and damaging something. Also checked multiple times and it always sparks just as hard upon connecting it which tells me I havent cooked anything in my new CDI yet hopefully as it appears to be energizing.

SORRY a many time for the rediculous long post I just wanted to offer as much information about my situation upfront so someone can more likely help.

Thanks again guys hope someone can help me wire this unit up!

51LQztiJELL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

71mCaOowlIL._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_FMwebp_.webp

I havent had the oportunity to work on a bike like yours but i have had my share of troubles with aftermarket parts, it like a crap shoot. The first question would be will the plugs supplied with the unit plug into your original wiring harness. If so, and everything else is putting out what it needs it should work, unless its a bad part from the company, how do you know. I would procede with checking the pick up coil for proper resistance, and see if its putting out voltage. Lets just assume that the new part is good. Lets check to make sure we are getting 12v and ground to the CDI, and check the primary and secondary coils on the ignition coil are in proper specs. As a mechanic im sure you have checked all this but with an aftermarket part the wires may not be the right color for your original wiring harness, if the plugs plug in, we like the think that its wired correctly. If you have checked all these other things and still no spark we have to think the new part is bad. You might check the starter cut out relay for correct operation, but if it was bad you would not be getting rotation from the start button. I will check to see if i can find a wiring diagram and see what i can come up with.