Quantcast

07' Sportsman 800 efi issues running

Sonders

I purchased a super clean 07' Sportsman 800 EFI last year from the original owner with around 700 miles on it,  The only thing I haven't liked about it since purchasing was the aftermarket twist throttle they had installed on it.  They had it set up for running up and down the road, which was fine for them; but I needed it for a workhorse around the house pulling a bush hog, log splitter and wagon loads of wood.  Twist throttle doesn't work too well for my applications.  I purchased a oem thumb throttle and cable and installed yesterday.  After install the quad will start right up and idles perfectly, but as soon as I give it some throttle it sputters and tries to die.  Can bump the throttle hard and fast and it will go, but it tries to sputter still.  It's like older style carb that has junk in the fuel line or not getting enough fuel, however I didn't touch anything on it, other than disconnecting the aftermarket cable from the carb and connecting the new one.  I checked the points inside the thumb throttle control box (forgot actual name) and they are gapped, so they're not killing it.  The only thing I can think of is the throttle position sensor had to be unbolted and pulled off the carb so I could remove the entire carb assembly to gain access to the side of it to remove side cover and unhook old cable and hook up the new cable.  I installed it back the exact same way it came off, but could that somehow still have gotten messed up?  I have no clue what else to check as I'm not real familiar with these EFI set ups.  Any thoughts/help are appreciated.  Apparently I should have just left it alone and lived with the dumb twist throttle as it was running perfectly fine. 

9 hours ago, Mech said:

I got the impression that the special tool is just a connector plug with some wires and a nine volt battery. All it's doing is measuring the resistance across the throttle position sensor using a nine volt battery as a reference instead of an ohms reading.

If I get a chance, I will try to trace the wiring in the tool and see exactly what is what.  I just use it, haven't thought if it would be able to be duplicated.

43 minutes ago, Sonders said:

ok, so I was right thinking it was something with the TPS.  Crap.  Well thanks for confirming guys.  I'll start researching how to reset it.  

What you can do short of taking it to a dealer it loosen the screws on the tps so you can just barely move the sensor and while it is running adjust it bit by bit.  It is feeding the ecu with throttle opening data and will change how the machine is running.  A lot of times if the exhaust is making your eyes water, running too rich, it is a tps setting.  Another thing is not to adjust the idle screw in the throttle body, that is set at the factory and Polaris says to chuck the throttle body if it has been adjusted.  There are ways around that but you need the tps tool to get there.  I have found on the older machines even if the tps is set correctly and the machine still has idle issues, the throttle body is worn out and needs replaced.  Typically this happens with the 700 and 800 Rangers.