Quantcast

Suzuki Eiger 400 2007 Model Restoration

Gwbarm

I bought this Eiger about a year ago it has been my runner while i worked on my other projects, except today it wouldnt crank, i suspect it is the  petcock not letting fuel through. When i bought it it had a multitude of problems, but i just ignored those and rode it any way, put it on the back burner while i worked on my other projects with more serious problems, like stuck engine ,wiring harness ripped out, and wheels locked up. Got those all sorted out and since it wouldnt crank today decided it was time to refine this one. When i got it it had a bad Non OEM carb replaced it with a cheap aftermarket until i could find a descent priced OEM to rebuild, and have been riding it ever since. It also had a bad petcock, would only run on prime, neutral light didnt work, no brakes, which are a luxury anyway, but as im getting older luxurys are nice to have, so i guess i will fix those. I paid a little more for this one, $800 but he wanted $1500, because it ran and moved and most things seemed to work, and it didnt smoke, even with the bad carb. Generally 500 is my limit for a non runner, since this one ran i upped my limit a little. So i got it out of the shed before the mice got in it for the winter and started going over it today.

IMG_4372.thumb.jpeg.bee8cd8321072c31b3ba266b27a29595.jpeg

IMG_4376.thumb.jpeg.fe3366b3ccff6c65cb2b7b360a77c365.jpeg

I would never buy a new camouflaged one because of what you see here, and it almost stopped me from buying this one, but it is what it is, not much i can do for that now, they did look nice when new, i am toying with the idea of replacing the plastics while i can still get them, but am not there yet, expensive.

IMG_4371.thumb.jpeg.16e653f417e7825fa6ba19cd91aa2f99.jpeg

I think the snorkel has got to go its not hooked up anyway. Looks like a perfect mouse house.

I just cranked it a couple of months ago no problems fired right up. A couple of problems, battery was weak, trying to charge it now, when i got it battery would charge up but wouldnt keep a charge for long, i put in a used battery i had from a yamaha XS400 its amazing how quickly batterys go down from non use. Also the petcock i noticed when i turned it to prime there was a lot of resistance, rubber had swollen to the point that no gas is getting through now at all.

Found out why no gas was getting through the petcock, tank was empty, Duh! So petcock must be leaking although i didnt see any signs of that, i knew their was not much gas in the tank last time i rode it. I let it get low so when i pulled the petcock to repair i wouldnt have to deal with gas going everywhere. So empty is a good thing. 

I got the snorkel removed, not a whole lot involved, nothing a hacksaw couldnt take care of. It looks as though it hadnt been hooked up for a while. Air box was missing when i got it so i couldnt really see the modifications there. Now just rerouting all the breather hoses to their correct location. On to the petcock, i originally thought it was an aftermarket, but it was original they just changed the design between 2004 and 2007. In fact im seeing a lot of changes, the headlights are rectangular instead of square, lots of parts still available for the 2007 that have been discontinued for the 2004. 

IMG_4379.thumb.jpeg.1df80ed700204f0ab0e0888a95c9d08e.jpeg

IMG_4380.thumb.jpeg.c113386316c309e462c5a863b7e6b22e.jpeg

Well, I cleaned it all up polished the valve as best i could, it was pitted pretty bad, O ring was OK and rubber seemed to be OK will probably work, them i found the inlet screens were disintegrated not really usable, i think its still a good original Mikuni valve, but i elected not to use it for now. I found this brand new one i had that would fit. I went back and forth trying to decide and i elected to use the new aftermarket because it has On ,Off, and Reserve. I like to be able to turn the gas off if i need to, especially if i am not going to use it for a while i will turn off the gas and run the carb dry, plus it makes me feel more secure about not getting a crankcase full of gas if float valve is leaking. Havent figured out a good way to do that with a vacum petcock.

I didnt take the diaphram off to get to the spring, it looked like i would damage the diaphram getting it off and its not listed as a replaceable part. It may be bad but it looked OK but may be hard and brittle. I thought about putting something like rubber rejuvinator on it to soften it up a bit, thought i would try it first, but then decided to just replace it. 

To get thin gaskets and diaphragms unstuck I use a thick (0.024") feeler gauge I've beveled/sharpened all around the end of..  Don't often damage things once it's under there and just gently working sideways..

Things are quiet in here..  It's spring here and that's why I haven't been in much, but I thought it would be repair time over there.

• 2 months later...

I have been thinking of different options as to how to refinish the plastics on my 2007. Since it is camouflage there is not much sanding and polishing to be done, plus they have faded to blue, green over time. I feel like i have 3 options.

I can tint clear with a warm tone to neutralize the blue green camo.

I can try staining it and going over with clear.

Painting, i dont like painting plastics, but might be my best solution here.

My preferance is to buy new, and thats what i was going to do, and then all of a sudden the prices more than doubled.

IMG_3391.thumb.jpeg.235ab2cb0ff5f7d7d1b12e1fa48fbdd4.jpeg