Quantcast

2000 Yamaha Big Bear 400 Getting Stuck in Reverse

Gwbarm

My Yamaha Big Bear shifts through all the gears good, goes into reverse smoothly, but when i go to get out of reverse it takes a lot of effort to get it back to first gear, and even then it does not go very smoothly, have to pull up on the pedal really hard, anyone else ever had this problem. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.    

Its mostly troublesome  when i pull up to hook on to my trailer i put it in reverse back up hook it up. then cant get it out of reverse, so i have to get off pull the shifter up forcefully with my hand and it will go.Its like i just cant pull it up hard enough to get it out of reverse with my feet without hurting my toes. I thought maybe i need to get some steel toed boots, but decided i really need to fix it.  

I was thinking something like tyres wearing differently front to back that had caused a gradual difference between front and rear ration.. causing binding. Try slipping it in and then straight out again without moving. If it comes out then , then it is binding up. Or, try slipping it out while the bikes moving, and in particular try blipping the throttle just as you go to slip it out so the load comes off the gear. Also perhaps try driving straight backwards without turning and then again turning the steering to see if that makes a difference.. If any of those things makes a difference then it's probably a binding up between front and rear putting a load on the gears.

Other than that, some part of the linkage going over center ? So it has good leverage pushing into gear but then goes too far so the lever is at a steep angle.. But that may not be an option in the case of a yammy..

• Like 1

mine does that sometimes. i just kinda rock it a little and get it back in neutral.

but....it also will go into reverse by itself if i accidentally push past neutral into reverse mode, so maybe it's not going out of reverse?  I'm thinking i need to adjust the cable tension looser. (?) 

It doesn't take much to cause what Mga is describing.. needing to rock the bike to get it out of gear. Having new tyres one end and half worn on the other end can do it, even having unevenly/incorrectly inflated tyres can do it.

I've "fixed" people's 4x4 trucks that were "stuck in four wheel drive", by blipping the throttle in gear just before I slipped them out of gear.

So yours will just go in reverse without turning the switch. I always turn my reverse knob switch but have never tried it without turning it so it may not be doing anything either. Last time i rode it i had trouble with the neutral light not coming on, maybe im just not getting it to neutral, but it will roll like its in neutral, neutral has always been hard to find, pull up too hard and it goes to 1st just pull up gently to find neutral,. I think whatever is happeninng might be related.

17 hours ago, Gwbarm said:

So yours will just go in reverse without turning the switch. I always turn my reverse knob switch but have never tried it without turning it so it may not be doing anything either. Last time i rode it i had trouble with the neutral light not coming on, maybe im just not getting it to neutral, but it will roll like its in neutral, neutral has always been hard to find, pull up too hard and it goes to 1st just pull up gently to find neutral,. I think whatever is happeninng might be related.

no...i have to turn the switch for reverse.  just sometimes if i push it into that position, it's still in reverse (light on) i replaced the foot pedal with an arm, so i just go back and forth and it comes out of reverse. doesn't happen all the time...just once in a while. maybe it needs more spring pressure to release the reverse cable.?  I'm going to play around with it this weekend. ( the foot linkage had a lot of wear/play in it, making it hard to find gears, so i went with the side shifter instead of replacing the foot linkage...my cheap way out lol )

right now, i've been using it to drag logs out of the woods that i cut a couple of years ago. gotta say, that thing has the power to pull them out and some were big logs.

Edited by mga

• 2 months later...
On 11/17/2023 at 11:30 AM, Gwbarm said:

That sounds exactly what mine is doing I remember your post about the hand shifter thought it was a good idea because of this problem.

also, after replacing the boots and lower ball joint, i backed the clutch off a little....that seemed to help. My theory (probably wrong) was that my clutch was still engaging making it hard to get out of that damn reverse...so, i loosened the nut and turned it CC. I might do a little more after i ride it.

• Like 1