Quantcast

2001 Lakota 300 air box..

beast6228

So the other day I picked up a Lakota 300, it's going to be a new project for a bit, the engine is super clean and so is the frame...luckily the VIN was intact.  However, it is the missing the air box (the one that holds the filter) but it does have the air chamber that goes to the carb.  These air boxes seem to be pretty pricey, so my question is has anyone had any luck running a pod filter on theirs and if so, what kind of jets are you running? The carb on this one is a Keihin CVK, I have yet to pull it off and inspect it.

The last one i bought had the air box missing, i opted to replace it for several reasons. The pod filters are not water tight and thats not a good thing on an ATV. The CVK carb works best with OEM filters, which is why they would need to be rejetted. Pod filters are not cheap and neither are proper OEM jets, so if you add up those costs its cheaper to get the airbox. Or it was in my case, i found one on Ebay for about 50.00.

• Like 1

I kinda figured that would be my best option, to go with an airbox, but I haven't run into too many people who have used a pod on it, figured I would ask first before I jump into a rabbit hole. (It came with a REALLY cheap pod filter on it) This quad runs, but only idles (definitely carb related.) I plan on digging into it here in the next couple days to see how plugged up it is.  

Thanks for the reply

It's funny, sometimes you look for something in the wrong places, I was looking on Ebay this whole time, come to find out you can still get all these OEM parts new for more than 3/4th less than what these people want on Ebay for used parts, which are covered in mud, grease and slop. I happened to find the airbox for $55. (I had offered the person on Ebay $60 for their used one, I cancelled that quick!) I found another place too that offers a discount if you buy all the main chambers and connecting tubes. The only thing I can't get is the snorkel. I'd like to eventually get that too, but I wonder if I can get around not having it?

10 hours ago, Gwbarm said:

Good point, I think you will be glad you replaced it, when you get it all installed engine may run better, glad to hear you still have the original kei hin  carb

Yeah, when I bought it a couple days ago, the people brought it to my house, it was dark and I couldn't see anything under the frame except a big shiny block of aluminum, I was thinking this must be a China carb, but once I got it into the garage I took another peak and saw Keihin on it, I was happy.  I ordered all the air box parts a little bit ago, but I sure am glad I didn't place my order on Ebay. That seller messaged me today and tried to offer me the used air box for the same amount that I paid for everything new (air box, 2 ducts, air filter chamber, air filter cover, plus new duct springs and filter O ring gaskets)...it all came to $176

47 minutes ago, Gwbarm said:

You did good! I had bought my box off ebay for 50 then i didnt notice i had this other piece missing before i ordered and it didnt come with it, so I  had to get it i think maybe 25 so now im into it for 75 and i could get the whole assembly for 120, new . Wish i would have done that. 

On Ebay, they want over $170 just for the air box, no ducts or anything.  One of the parts I could not get was the frame that goes behind the filter, I think it's plastic. I will probably end up having to make one, either out of a sheet of plastic or metal, possibly brazing rods and weld them together to form a frame.  That part is # 13270-1317...kinda odd that such a simple item is not available, even though they have all the other stuff available.

parts.png

Edited by beast6228
werewolf attack :P

• 2 weeks later...

I finally got all my air box parts the other day,  I checked the carb, it was clean as a whistle, the plastic choke cable collar was broken, I had to order one of those $10 (still waiting on that), I dug into the electrical, pulled out the voltage regulator, noticed that one of the pins on it was broken and the connector was full of mud and corrosion,  I found a used at PSN for $15, I figured since that was probably shot and those will burn out a CDI fast, I ordered a new CDI box on Amazon, that was another $18.  Before I put everything back together, I filled a jar with some muriatic acid, soaked the connectors in it for a minute, then rinsed it off, came out nice and shiny, just like new. Needless to say I put everything back together (except for the choke cable, I had to hold that in while I started it) and it fired right up and revs perfectly now.  I was reading some stuff about using a POD filter on a Keihin cvk carb I guess if you don't modify the inner portion by trimming it, they will block air to the port that lifts the slide, which means nothing will happen. I am not sure if that was causing trouble all along, but I am not worried about it now, maybe someday I will experiment and see if that pod filter will work if I trim that inner portion. Now onto finishing up removing rust, painting the frame and fixing the exhaust that is missing all the internals because someone thought it would be a good idea to make it sound like a Harley with straight pipes. 😁