Quantcast

• Do you own an ATV, UTV or SxS? Join our Community Forum!

QUADCRAZY ATV Community and Forum are FREE to join! We keep our ATV, UTV, and SxS forums clean and user friendly. All first time posters in our forums will have to wait to have their content reviewed and approved. Once your first ten posts are approved, you will no longer need to go through a forum post approval process. To bypass the approval process with immediate access and a NO ADS experience in our ATV, SxS, and UTV forums, consider subsribing to a Premium Membership

Honda trx 300 fourtrax starter clutch

J00F150

How does a starter clutch work?

I have 1992 trx 300 fourtrax, When I use the kick starter the crank mover clock wise (CW), but I think I have some teeth missing because I have to move the kickstarter four or five times to crab in order to kick it.

I had to put a new battery in it, so I check the wires first and noticed the wire coming off the starter solinold is going to the starter bolt that mounts it to the case, and the ground wire from the battery is going to the starter stud bolt. I thought this is wrong so I changed them, then the starter would ingage but turn the starter clutch (CCW). The crank would not turn this way, so I changed them back and it now turns the starter clutch and turns over.

I did some research and found out you can buy (CW or CCW) starters. My question is that if the starter clutch is missed up, could starting the electric starter the same direction as the kick starter cause problems or do they rotate the same direction. It seems funny hooking up the starter reverse polarity.

Yeah, get a repair manual, they are a must for anyone who works on their own machines. You get important info like torque specs and wear tolerances, as well as a trouble shooting guide. Check ebay for a clymer repair manual for your specific machine. If the motor starts, then it is hooked up the right way, on a dc motor, reversing polarity just changes the direction the motor spins. Honda may have adapted that starter motor from another vehicle where the motor needs to spin the other way. Or maybe they are just crack smokers, either way, if the motor starts, it is right.