Quantcast

• Do you own an ATV, UTV or SxS? Join our Community Forum!

QUADCRAZY ATV Community and Forum are FREE to join! We keep our ATV, UTV, and SxS forums clean and user friendly. All first time posters in our forums will have to wait to have their content reviewed and approved. Once your first ten posts are approved, you will no longer need to go through a forum post approval process. To bypass the approval process with immediate access and a NO ADS experience in our ATV, SxS, and UTV forums, consider subsribing to a Premium Membership

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Forum Topics

• By VikingTrad3r
      I have an 86 yfm250 (moto4 250) i picked up. 

It bogs and pops a bit out the tailpipe if you can even get it higher up in the rpm. It is pretty gutless. I have other 250’s (timberwolves) and its ultra gutless compared to them. 
      It has an aftermarket carb on it that has a “W” on it  Its not a mikuni but it looks close  
      i figured jetting was off at the high end. 
      i had a mimuni that was very crusty, swapped the main jet into the W carb, and the needle, which was set on low slot 4 so left it there.  

it actually ran much better, and cured what i thought was a problem caused by a lean condition from the W carbs main jet being too restricted when i compared to the factory mikuni  
      I had it out and was enjoying the upper rpms that i couldnt reach before without bog.  at wot it would fall on its face  low top speed.  
      after getting it hot, it would actually refuse to start after dying.

back to the drawing board.

when i first got it i adjusted the valves. So i retraced my work and thought maybe id overtightened. double checked, nope all good.  .005 exh , .003 intake, check.
      So i checked the compression. 
      here is the trickyness. help me understand this.  I am at 3500ft asl  in calgary canada  

-  initiate test, it goes to 75psi right away. this is low. Even at my elevation im thinking 110psi minimum  
      but....this thing starts no problem. even -20c it starts. makes no sense to me. so i press the starter again and it goes to 85. Then i press it again and no change. Then i turn over again and it jumps to 95. Then again...no change. Then again and it goes to 115.  finally finishes at 120 and i cannot get it to go any higher than this. 

ive repeated this multiple times. 

i press and hold the starter...it will max at 75. Then a series of maybe 10 more quick turnovers from the starter and compression inches up to 120psi. 

So, i think the low compression explains the low top end, and even the backfiring out the exhaust when hot. The exhaust is rich enough (incomplete combustion in chamber) and to ignite in the muffler. 
      it gets worse when hotter. 

makes me think i have a crack, or something that is low down on the cylinder wall. When the piston stops just above it on the upstroke, and i then turn it over again, it adds pressure to my tester reading. 

thoughts?
    • By JPRICE1981
      Hello everyone !! Looking for some help !! Im wanting to check my stator and pick up coil with a ohm meter and cant seem to find a guide that tells me what to read and what my reading should be !! Any help would be great !! THANKS IN ADVANCE !!
    • By StolenATV
      went to sell this guy my bike and on his test drive he just took off and never came back.
      The post 2015 Yamaha YFZ450R Stolen During Test Drive appeared first on STOLEN 911.
      View the full article
    • By Shook
      Hi I have a 2000 big bear 400 and i just put a new carburetor on it and it idles fine but when you try to accelerate it sounds like it is going to die, so when it sounds like it is going to die I will give it more throttle then it will go just fine.
    • By BuckBilly
      ATV Shows
      Kind of slow to load up!
  • Similar Tagged Forum Content