Quantcast

'94 poplaris 400 sportsman 4x4 rear end slippage???

thenipster

I have a bit of a problem with my quad. I recently had work done to it. I replaced the starter and voltage regulator had my carb replaced and crankcase oil changed. A week ago I took my quad into the bush, and went through some water and mud......for the most part it was great, doing what a quad should do. As I continued throught this "slew" and about 4 - 5 minutes of this great quading ....I started to slow down and it seemed like my rear end was slipping! As I "gunned it" to get out of this mud and water hole (8" - 10" deep) i looked behind me and saw what appeared to be smoke .........not steam but a smoke! It was coming from the rear chain drive around the rear axle! I continued to crawl out of the water and mud trail and on to dry land. After I got onto the dry land I was able to get traction again and no slipping occured anymore. What could have caused this? PLEASE HELP.:aargh:

I don't think anything was slipping, if there was actually smoke coming from the rear end, I would guess that your axle bearings are going out. If there was actually something slipping, it could only be becuase of stripped splines either on the sprocket hub, wheel hubs, or the axle where those 3 things are mounted on it.

Agreed, clutch or belt slippage is way more likely than rear end slippage. The belt could have just started slipping a bit when it got wet, and when you got out of the water, started to grab again. I would definately take Gearheads advise and take a peek at the drive belt and clutches, they are easy enough to get to.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Forum Topics

• By Mhatayas
      What should I do about this , bad oil leak where the filter cover bolts on . Can I use some gasket maker 

• By BruceG
      Hi guys. I have a problem where the quad will start and run well for about 5 minutes and then it dies. On inspection the airbox has oil in it (quite a lot). The oil is pumping through the cylinder head breather hose. This problem first happened suddenly. I have since done the top end including, piston, gaskets, rings and valves. I have also done the carb (not that I thought that this was the problem). The compression seems normal. The only thing that I can think of, is that I did not grind the valves well enough. Anyone experienced this? If so, how did you fix it? Any other thoughts?
    • By N00bie
      From Arkansas. Just bought a 2012 Gator 850i RSX because I could not pass up the price. BUT it has an idle problem. So, to be honest, I joined just to get a service manual. I have a choice: 1)Buy a hard copy: ~$100; 2)Buy a CD ~$35.00; Get a direct download for free posting 10 times; or get a download for $29.00 (subscription). Haven't decided what to do yet.
    • By semicolon
      Hi, I am having issues with my TRX350D fuel pump.  It suddenly stopped running so I have replaced all the fuses and cleaned all the terminals.  I have fitted a new pump, fuel cut-off relay and rectifier.  Still nothing!!  The pump runs when attached to a battery.  The engine will start on the choke and the filter fills with fuel but it will  not rev and dies when the choke is closed. I have power to the relay but nothing at the pump black/white wire when cranking the engine.  Any ideas where to go from here would be very much appreciated!!

• By hardcastle
      My friends KQ 300 starts fine and runs, as soon as you put it in gear and try to accelerate its bucks and farts like crazy, not moving... I cleaned carb and it worked good for 1 day... now back to same problem.... could it be such as a bent valve????