Quantcast

• Join Today, It's Simple and FREE!

As a member, you can post in our forums, upload your photos and videos, use and contribute to our downloads, create your own member page, add your ATV events, and even start your own ATV club to host your own club forum and gallery.  Registration is fast and you can even login with social network accounts to sync your profiles and content.

searsmonkey

1998 suzukilt-f4wd 250 cc

bought above machine after a 1989 of same make , model. wish i had keep old one. new one will not perform near what the old one did. 15 to 20 miles an hour in speed ,going down hill and on streight. difference is the carb i has a mikiuni BST31SS .old one had a mikuni VM24SS am thinking and want to replace with a bigger throated carb.am i thinking along the right lines or way off?

I think your old one probably ran better because the motor was in better shape. Check over your motor real good, you may just need to do some minor repair work or make some adjustments. Make sure all the filters are clean, fresh fuel and oil, pull the carb off and make sure everything is clean in there, do a compression test, check the valve adjusment, new spark plug.

no unit ran this way right from dealership.took it back four or five times dealer said it was due to EPA rules. motor is rebuilt now with a high compression piston.still runs bad. have put the bigger carb on it . does starts 100% easier but lopes at high RPM. have not had it at on dirt. also been to busy to miss with it.put new fuel pump rated as 14 liter an hour.looking for more if's? could be's.

I imagine the cam profile is less aggressive, if a cam from an older model fits that may help you gain a little power. I would imagine that the jetting was leaned out for the tighter EPA regs too. Might look into intake changes, the newer design may be more restrictive than the old one. They probably made changes to the timing curve too, if an older CDI box will work, that would probably help wake it up too.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Topics

• By Dra O
      posted a while back - it was running at one point - I have all the plastic shroud off - it's down to frame and engine now
      -fuel pump: when line from petcock is attached, no fuel comes out other side to carb; the line to the carb is open (can blow through it); I thought when I cranked engine that the pump would spit out fuel on other side but it does not; I removed fuel pump and opened it up - diaphragm looks good - but internal areas had lotsa calcification build up - I cleaned this out and dried it good - the clear plastic pieces (?diaphragms) aren't broken - the spring w/ steel ball on end moves freely; am putting it back on tomorrow; but can anyone answer about the pump? isn't it supposed to pump fuel through it... to other side... to carb? puzzling
      -along with fuel pump: I replaced petcock 3 weeks ago (gas tank had rusty fuel in bottom - cleaned it out prior to new petcock); when I turn petcock arrow NOT to on or reserve, fuel comes out of line; when I turn it to on or reserve, fuel doesn't come out; puzzling
      -I don't know what's on back of fuel pump - it's a valve that has a hose coming out of it - looks like it goes to engine/carb - I haven't traced this out yet - what is it?
      -can squirt gas on air filter and engine will run for 2-3 seconds then stop - fuel in top of carb (under diaphragm) does same
      -it likely needs carb rebuild - will get to this - but something isn't allowing fuel to get from fuel pump to carb
      -I THINK it has a mikuni model x carb - diaphragm is ID 26mm  OD 68mm - hard to find inexpensive diaphragm, I guess because it's a model x
      -last thing - I replaced solenoid due to old one clicking; I HAVE to be charging the battery or it won't start/turn over - battery just goes dead; but if charging, it'll turn over nicely; i'm guessing it's a bad battery
      -any help appreciated - I've never owned an ATV before - inherited this beast from grandparent in-law
    • By Mike Johnson
      Hello again guys ,. I have a Quadmaster that has a very bad lean to my passenger side wheel. I replaced the a arm bushings with no change in the lean,  I see no bent parts and no adjustments available. It's always been there since I got it but became really noticeable when I put the lift kit on it. I'm going to add a picture of the problem if allowed.

• By MarkinAR
      What is the opinion on carb kits? What's one of the better brands of aftermarket? OEM is always preferred but not practical, chinese cheapie is never a good option. 
      Thoughts ?
    • By John Dunn III
      Just bought a LT 230 anything I should watch for. It runs and drive good. Just don't want no surprises 
    • By Scott Matthews
      Just picked up a 1989 Big Bear 350 for $250 CAD. Bike was running but lost crank and spark. They've installed a new coil, a couple relays, and installed a Ford starter solenoid in place of the original. Now it cranks but has no spark so they sold it to me. Does anyone have a wiring diagram for this bike so I can test some wiring. Also any ideas as to direction to head would be nice. Lots of things have been hacked together so I know it probably wont be to easy. The ignition switch was replaced with a toggle switch, I already mentioned the Ford solenoid which 1 of the small wires was not re-installed, and a diode or something was removed from the oil temp sensor wire. I'm sure I will find more so a diagram would be amazing.
  • Similar Tagged Content

• By BosoxBruce
      Recently I noticed gas leaking from under the gas tank on my 2005 250 2x4. As I looked closer it appears to be leaking from the shut off valve under the tank. It's the valve with the handle that can be turned to open, close or reserve. Can this part be replaced? Thank you.
    • By Derick Joel Smith Trimmings
      Buying a Baja 250 tomorrow for 600 bucks, needs nothing but a wheel bearing, i already know Baja is an off brand crappier. Manufacturer, but does anyone have any tips or knowledge of these bikes? 
    • By fatfarmboy
      Just bought (Tue. evening) an '89 Suzuki 250 4wd that has been sitting out the last 5 yrs. It's complete, including the shift knobs, battery cover, and headlights. It has the optional cooling fan on it (probly stuck - didn't check), and the engine isn't locked up. Plastic looks good and isnt cracked. Racks aren't bent up. Shift lever works, the foot brake moves (needs oil - have to pull it up by hand), and there's black oil and no water in the engine sight glass. Guy was asking $125 and gladly took $100 for it. Anxious to get started on bringing it back to life. Been wanting one of these for years. As soon as I can get to it (working on a junky "Jackel" right now - Chinese Yamaha Timberwolf). I'm going to pull the tank off it and clean it, clean & possibly rebuild carb, put in new plug, and a battery, then see what happens. If nothing, will keep going until it runs. Feel free to respond if you want to, I'm mainly just excited and wanted to tell somebody. 
    • By Flanstone
      I just bought two 1985 TRX250's from my father-in-law. One runs great, the other not so much. The one is having issues with the shifter. The shifter seems to be resting lower than normal. When I press the shifter downward, it just pops back up. Any thougjts as to what the issue might be?
    • By Christopher Williams
      Hello all, 
      i just rebuilt the top end of a 99 Bear Tracker 250 and it can’t get it to hit off of gasoline or starter fluid. Occasionally it will backfire. Right now I’m just trying to get it to fire off without the carburetor like I’ve done a thousand times before with other engines. Usually there is no response, but occasionally I get a backfire through the intake. ISeems like it’s out of time, but I don’t see how that could be possible. 
      Here’s what I know:
      1. compression 120psi
      2. all timing marks are lined up after numerous revolutions. 
      3. Strong spark. 
      4. Valves adjusted correctly. 
      Thanks in advance.