Quantcast

• Join Today, It's Simple and FREE!

As a member, you can post in our forums, upload your photos and videos, use and contribute to our downloads, create your own member page, add your ATV events, and even start your own ATV club to host your own club forum and gallery.  Registration is fast and you can even login with social network accounts to sync your profiles and content.

masterdawg

1997 Yamaha Big Bear Reverse Shifter

this is probably posted wrong but i'm new here and can't find info i'm looking for with the search tool. I have a 1997 Big Bear 4x4 350. To shift into reverse the rear brake pedal has to be puished and the select lever pulled back. PROBLEM: i allowed a "buddy" to "adjust" the brakes for me and now I can't get into reverse without using a screwdriver to push back the cable pin inside the shift selector. Maybe the brake adjustment had nothing to do with the issue but I'm pretty new and raw to bike mechanics so I'm looking for ANY help!:aargh:

re-adjusted brakes according to the owners manual . I think there's an adjustment on the reverse cable thing ? might have to take the brackedt off that covers the gear shift ?????

Hey, anybody here?! This mike cna't be workin ! I'm lost and can't find my wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyy! Can the reverse lockout be adjusted ??????

Did you fix your issue?

* Added full year and manufacturer to thread title.

Nope:aargh: I can't find out if the reverse lockout cable has any kind of adjustment:aargh::aargh::aargh:

Did you try letting the rear brake adjustment all the way out and see if it works? Sounds related. That cable is lubed up right?

Did you try letting the rear brake adjustment all the way out and see if it works? Sounds related. That cable is lubed up right?

Yep, backed brakes off all the way and kept trying the shifter as I re-adjusted the brakes - got nowhere, cable is well lubed.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Topics

• By Randel1
      Hello, 
      I have a 2004 Yamaha Bear Tracker in the shop for repair. I have the service manual but it doesn't have all the information I need to fix the problem. I need to know the voltage output of the stator charge coil and pulse or trigger coil at cranking speed. The wiring diagram color code doesn't seem to match and that is compounded by the fact that the wiring harness CDI connector is missing so I have 7 wires that need to be connected to the CDI. I can not find a circuit diagram of the CDI which tells me where the pulse/trigger coil connects or the charge coil connects. The other 3 wires (black ground, orange ignition coil, and r/b ignition kill sw) also need to be connected. The CDI has a single 8 pin connector and has a P/N 4XE-00 F8T19871 -1122 number on it and I believe it to be OEM. However I think the Stator and pulse coil are aftermarket items. I have resistance tested everything and it all seems to be in spec. but I don't want to miss wire anything and cause damage. Any help would be greatly appreciated. 
    • By Scott Sirr
      I need to figure out how to clean/fix or replace my neutral switch assembly On my 2008 Yamaha big bear 400 as generally the neutral light doesn’t come on when it is in neutral. To get it to come on I have to wiggle the foot shifter and hold it in just the right spot.
      I have googled it and can’t find much on the 400’s. I can’t find a service manual online and the parts manual is super vague.
      I think it is in the right side engine cover area, but not certain. 
       Any help would be great. thanks
      Scott
    • By Bronson Weddle
      I have a 1999 250 Yamaha bear tracker was told it needed a coil to run got into it to day found out that the kill switch was wired together then I found were they put a new cdi on it they cut all the plugs off the stator wires and the cdi wires I found bits and pieces of wireing diagrams blue pick up wire to red and white green wire to white and green wire rolled it over Had a test light on the coil wire it showed there was juice going to it but no spark on the plug and the coil is a brand new one put it on before trying to test the spark did I miss something or have something hooked up wrong already have plans on a new cdi and stator and pick up coil before I go that far like to hear it run. Thank you for the help in advance 
    • By Admin
      Looking for Polaris ATV VIN (Vehicle Identification Number) Number Decoders? Once you find your ATV VIN number off the tag on your Polaris ATV, you can go to all kinds of websites that have VIN Decoders available. The best ones are backed by the Polaris ATV manufacturer, however there are plenty of aftermarket Polaris ATV VIN Decoder websites on the web. This topic will stay pinned and if you find any to add, please do it with a reply. 
      The following Polaris ATV VIN Decoder websites are available where you can just enter your VIN number and it will shows you some of your ATV model details:
      KBB.com https://www.kbb.com/vehicle-history-report/ 
      CARFAX https://www.carfax.com
      autoDNA https://www.autodna.com
      VinAudit http://www.vinaudit.com/
      decodeTHIS https://www.decodethis.com
      VINCario https://vindecoder.eu/
      NICB Theft Check https://www.nicb.org/theft_and_fraud_awareness/vincheck 
    • By ddiggerr
      Hi
      Just picked up a BB for $650 as the PO just threw in the white towel. There is no spark with either the electric start or pull start. The stator is new, new battery, new key switch, new plug.
      I have gone over every wire and cleaned everything and checked all I could with multimeter.
      I'm stumped myself why I wouldn't get any spark with theh pull start.
      Could this be the pickup coil?
      wires coming out of stator are red and white, green and brown, and 3 yellow wires
      I get continuity from red and white but nothing from green and brown or the yellows
      Its a hair puller and hoping its just the pickup coil and not the cdi
      thanks
  • Similar Tagged Content

• Guest Fox300exchic
      By Guest Fox300exchic
      The Hop-Up: You may be saying to yourself, “that’s a chick bike,” and you’re right. But honestly, it’s so much more than that. It’s one badass bike. http://www.quadmagazine.com/quad/features/article/0,24942,1587044,00.html
    • By dyyjrr9
      I just got a 1991 Yamaha Moto 4 for my son and I am looking for a service repair manual. I know that the timing chain needs replaced.
    • By alexcross324
      Hi all, I try to find this manual in the threads but you have a lot of stock here
      Cannot find this particular manual.
      I found it for YFM200 but not sure if they are the same.
      Thanks if you could help me with that.
      Im new here so if I did something wrong, please tell me.
    • By davidwestfall
      looking for direct shift shifting lever that properly fits my 2003 Yamaha warrior 350 and fits my foot the same as a stock 2003 Yamaha warrior 350 shifting lever fits my foot
    • By davidwestfall
      hey I'm dave westfall I'm new I just became an official member of this site a few minutes ago. Ive been crazy about quads and bikes since I was about 3 and ive always done my home work on them figuratively speaking. I would say for comparison to the common man that I am pretty knowledgeable about them. its been my passion about most of my life. I love talking about quads and bikes so if anyone out there would like to talk with me about mechanical subjects or about person experiences while riding or just shoot the breeze please feel free to chat with me. I'm looking forward to it.