Quantcast

1995 Polaris Magnum 425 Bog

Twisted_Toyz

Help! I'm stumped, We have a 1995 Polaris Magnum 425 4x4 in our shop. The customer's complaint was when it warmed up it bogged badly, he said he would stop shift the bike into nuetral and rev it up a bunch of black smoke would come out and then it would run fine for a short while then he would have to repeat the same proceedure again. Now don't get too excited I'm fairly sharp with mechanics. First I started the bike and ran it around the yard for a good ten to fifteen minutes the bike seemed somewhat sluggish and non-responsive running extremely poor and backfiring a bit. Next I removed the air filter, no improvement, I left it out and removed the exh. springs and seperated the exh at the cylinder head, loud but no inprovement so a hooked it back up, next I removed the carb for the second time and throughly cleaned it, it's perfectly clean the needle and seat are the best I've seen the jet needle in the slide is locked propperly by the spring and the diaphram's perfect. I hooked up the carb to a gravity fed tank to bypass the fuel pump and still bike idles perfectly but when you throttle up it starts to stutter, I'm aware of the rev limiter and it does act any differently when the button is depressd I opened the throttle bay and the limiter switch is 100% operational. HERE'S THE KICKER with airbox completely removed from the carb the bike throttles up perfectly, BUT as soon as you hook it back up it won't rev. this is with the airfilter out completely vacant box ABSOLUTELY NO RESTRICTION GAURENTEED, AND NO IT'S NOT COLAPSING UPON ACCELERATION. You can literally rev the bike with the air box sitting 1/2" off the intake throat on the carb and while your revving it slide the airbox intake tube on the carb and it falls flat on it's face, and I mentioned THERE ARE NO OBSTRUCTIONS IN THIS TUBE. P.S. I pulled the valve cove and set the tappets to .006" according to service manual, they were almost perfect, i would say I may have increased the tappet clearance if anything by a thou or two.

PLEASE HELP I LOOSING SLEEP!!!:aargh:

Edited by Twisted_Toyz

• 6 years later...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Forum Topics

• By BruceG
      Hi guys. I have a problem where the quad will start and run well for about 5 minutes and then it dies. On inspection the airbox has oil in it (quite a lot). The oil is pumping through the cylinder head breather hose. This problem first happened suddenly. I have since done the top end including, piston, gaskets, rings and valves. I have also done the carb (not that I thought that this was the problem). The compression seems normal. The only thing that I can think of, is that I did not grind the valves well enough. Anyone experienced this? If so, how did you fix it? Any other thoughts?
    • By Its-always-something
      Have a 1998 AC 300 2x4, Just installed a new carburetor. Engine starts easy but the choke RPMs are very hi and take along time (5-10 mins when cold out). After engine has warmed up choke releases and it idles and runs fine., It does no have an electric choke. The choke lever is never used and it seems like an auto choke? Long story short, how can I lower the choke rpm levels?

Also, carb came with a spare145 jet, not 100% sure what is installed. Could this impact choke RPMs?

Any help and information greatly appreciated.
    • By McG75
      Hello I’m new here and was wondering is anyone knew of good replacement part numbers for front struts and rear shocks for this atv? I think I’ve found a new rear shock, that looks like the original but there is no dimensions or anything and was wondering if there are any afterMarket new front struts available. I know it’s a long shot but any help would be appreciated. 
    • By HSTAR
      Hey I have a 1997 big bear 350 4x4
      I replaced the shifter shaft and the shift arm linkage and the rod when I installed them all I was unaware that you had to line the dot on the shifter shaft with the gap on the linkage arm gap put it all back  together and rode it I can't get it to shift in the right gears  I can move the shift cam by hand and goes in different gears but with the shifter shaft in it riding I can't put it in R or N 
      Anyone know how to line up the shifter shaft and the shift cam s

• By DarkRider
      This is something I'm extremely curious about. Has anyone ever attempted to buy a quad (or any other vehicle) from an impound lot? I've always wondered if this could be a bargain, or a waste of time. Google searches do turn up some helpful results. Looks like the state of NJ holds auctions online which I'd be a bit hesitant about.

My online searches haven't really turned up any results of anyone buying an ATV this way. I'd be really curious if anyone tried this, or knows someone who has. I've actually found a couple pages with online auctions for my state, but none had ATVs.