Quantcast

• Join Today, It's Simple and FREE!

As a member, you can post in our forums, upload your photos and videos, use and contribute to our downloads, create your own member page, add your ATV events, and even start your own ATV club to host your own club forum and gallery.  Registration is fast and you can even login with social network accounts to sync your profiles and content.

Sign in to follow this  
Admin

Clean Your Filter Every Time

A litte maintenance goes a long way. We have said it before, but can't say it enough.

More...

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Forum Topics

• 0 replies
    • Maintenance stuff

Got my first quad this past fall a 2011 Grizz 700 EPS, and now that spring is getting close I'm thinking about getting back to work on maintenance stuff. So couple questions... 1. What are some regular maintenance points that are done in the spring on these machines? and 2. What are the regular maintenance points that are done every so many miles that I should look to do? Other than changing out a torn CV boot and cleaning some crap out of the air intake foam in the fall I really haven't done anything to the Grizz. So not knowing its maintenance history I'm assuming it's due for everything...all fluids changed out etc. Oh btw it's only got about 750 mi on it right now. Thanks I'm all ears

By toonces, in Yamaha ATV Forum

• 0 replies
    • Routine Maintenance

Aside from changing the oil and filters etc. what do you guys routinely do to maintain/tune-up your quad while the "season" KS over and the machine will be basically over for a few mos. I have a 2006 Sportsman 500 EFI APand I want to keep it a long time and want to do all I can to see that that happens. Thanks in advance for your time, Bill

By vegasbilly, in General Talk - Anything Goes!

• 5 replies
    • ATV Maintenance and Safety

Found this while browsing online, good info for new owners. ATV Maintenance and Safety Several times a year, customers show up with an ATV, that has significant wear to undercarriage, suspension, and/or braking components. Some of these machines are nearly new, or have low mileage or hours of use, which elevates the concern of the owners even further. A few simple steps can help reduce the occurrence of this wear, especially on machines that are only occasionally ridden, to a large extent. First riders must realize, that most manufacturers do not recommend riding your ATV in water and mud, that is deeper than the bottom of your wheels center cap or axle. Obviously, even casual riders will encounter situations where this is unavoidable, and some riders will use their machines on rugged trails, and under conditions that tend to push the machine's fording capabilities to their limits. That being said, the more your ATV is immersed in deep water and mud, the more likely you are to accelerate wear on that machines components. There are however some simple measures you can take to help minimize the impact associated with water and mud intrusion, and help keep a dependable machine in good condition. 1) Routine Maintenance - Keeping your oil changed in engines, differentials, transmissions, etc. If water infiltrates these components and is left unremediated, the contaminated assembly WILL eventually fail, usually as a result of rust formation on bearing surfaces, etc. This can lead to some exceedingly expensive repairs, and is very straight forward and economical to prevent. 2) After crossing deep water, stop and remove drain plugs from your airbox and belt drive, if applicable. Simply removing a drain plug can prevent a damaged drive belt, which will end a nice day of riding, and could potentially damage other components, or cause an accident. Engines that ingest water thru the air intake can be irreparably damaged, water does not compress well in a cylinder. Since an engine is probably one of the most expensive components of an ATV, you'll find the few minutes is time well spent. 3) Keep It Clean. After the fun is done, your machine needs a bath. Mud is fun, but it is also as invasive as it is abrasive. Wash down your ATV after riding in deep mud, if not a total cleaning, at very least wash down brake and steering components, and anywhere there are exposed moving parts. Allowing mud to remain dried into pivot points, etc will result in the grit grinding away at parts and causing greatly accelerated wear. 4) Not That Clean. Easy does it with the pressure washer. High Pressure water is commonly used to clean the seemingly tons of mud, weeds, rocks, sticks, and other debris from undercarriages, etc. Unfortunately, most high pressure washers are too powerful to safely use on ATV's. Most Car Washes and gasoline powered pressure washers generate sufficient pressure to actually cause more damage than they prevent. For example, many of the best kept machines have premature wheel bearing failures, not because they were not cleaned after use, but because in an attempt to clean the machine thoroughly, the owner inadvertently forced water into bearings, because the seals were not designed to withstand 2000-3000 psi. Even the smallest electric power washer can be damaging, 1200 psi units can tear stickers from the machine, and force water into places it otherwise would never be able to penetrate, if not used carefully. Best practice is to just resort to a plain old garden hose and elbow grease, and spend some quality time with your ATV. 5) Dry it out. Once your machine is clean, it needs to dry out. A nice sunny day works nicely, when possible. Avoid setting the parking brake on a freshly washed machine, especially if it will remain parked for an extended period, as this tends to cause the brakes to stick on, and possibly drag when released later. In extreme cases, in disc brake applications, especially those with sintered metal brake pads, can cause the brake pad to rust firmly to the rotor. 6) Look it over. After the wheeler has dried, take a look underneath. Look for oil leaks or seepage, damaged components, etc. Grab the components firmly and tug, looking for any looseness in A-Arm bearings or bushings, Tie-Rod ends, Ball Joints, Wheel Bearings, including loose bolts in suspension, frame or steering components. Often if there is looseness in a component, and it is allowed to go unchecked, the damage will be significantly greater. A loose or worn wheel bearing can rapidly wear brake pads, rotors, destroy calipers, and damage knuckle or spindle assemblies, for example. 7) A word about Drum Brakes. While most newer machines have primarily switched to a disc brake design, many older units and smaller less expensive machines still are sold with drum brakes. While manufacturers design these units to stay relatively sealed, invariably, mud and water WILL GET IN. Unfortunately it cannot get back out and it will absolutely eat the brake shoes if left for long periods of time. If you own a machine that employs drum brakes, you should know that it is crucial for you to disassemble the drum brake assembly and clean it regularly if the machine is used in deep water or mud. Failure to do so is to guarantee premature brake wear, severe enough to render the brakes totally inoperable, in a very short time. 8) It's a long walk out of the woods. Swampy mud is more fun to ride in than walk through. Your ATV enables you to go places you otherwise would not go, and if not properly cared for, it can just as easily leave you stranded far from civilization. Your ATV is your best friend and trusted companion on the trail, treat it that way. 9) Check tire pressure regularly. Make sure you are fueled up and properly geared and dressed to ride. Wear your helmet at all times. Run with your lights on and exercise caution as you ride. When possible, do not ride alone. Carry emergency items such as first aid, drinking water, and a tow strap, in event something does happen. 10) Be safe and have fun. Help promote the sport and safety. Respect landowners, stay on trails, don't litter. We all are responsible, to ensure we can continue to enjoy ATV riding in the future. See ya on the trail, Muddy Phats

By Ajmboy, in General ATV Discussion

• 1 reply
    • Server Maintenance

QUADCRAZY was down for a period of time today, for server maintenance. We appoligize for the inconvenience.

By Admin, in Announcements/Support

• 1 reply
  • Similar Tagged Content

• By crazynordlander
      Hi All,
      Has anyone found engine oil in their air filter box. The must be little or no baffle between crankcase ventilation and that hose that attaches to the air filter box.
      I went to pick up my ATV today 60 miles away that they could not fix the jerky low speeds on and before I loaded it decided to check on this. Sure enough there was a good coating of oil with some pooling in the bottom of the air filter box. The air filter has oil on it too but is it a dry element or oiled element type. My guess from the color of it dry.
      I heard on a comment on my YT videos that there is a kit for this issue? Is this a CFMOTO fix?
      Thanks
      Kevin
    • By Jw7054
      Alright so I know that they all have their goods and bads. My options are the raptor 660 or 700(probably 700), ds650, outlaw 525, predator 500, or trx700. Before you rant and say this one is the period, I will have a budget of around $3000 tops. So that is however much I spend. After buying a raptor(660), ds650 and predator, I would have at absolute most $1000 dollars left. How ever with the raptor 700, outlaw 525, and trx I would be surprised to have any money left over. Now the extra money
      Now what I know, the ds650 is a pig stock, needs uncorked and tuned and has no reverse but can be a beast and rides good, the raptor 700 is a wheelier and way better than the 660 but neither can hill climb very well, the 660 is tippy and weaker and hard to tune. The outlaw is fast and expensive but rides like a dream but can't power slide, the predator is okay. Good power good shocks, just a good quad but has some reliability issues. And the trx700xx that is a dream but is like 4k and don't come up from sale much. Correct me if I am wrong with any of these statements. So which would u choose AND WHY, I don't give a shit that u can owned a Yamaha since they started making em, why would u choose the one u chose. Thanks, and yes I did post this on multiple forums to get more views and more responses.
      Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk