Quantcast

• Join Today, It's Simple and FREE!

As a member, you can post in our forums, upload your photos and videos, use and contribute to our downloads, create your own member page, add your ATV events, and even start your own ATV club to host your own club forum and gallery.  Registration is fast and you can even login with social network accounts to sync your profiles and content.

spitfire

1986 Suzuki LT160 - Repair Or Not Repair ??

Found and 1986 lt160f that has had the head removed. Firstly, the engine has sat outside in the elements for a long period of time. The timing chain is rusty but their appears to little or water in the oil. Do you think that it is worth salvaging and if so, what would you do to motor to remove the rust. Thanks

Getting rid of the rust wouldn't be a problem, but if it is rusted it may be pitted also. If that is the case everything will have to be honed to get a good sealing surface. I don't know much about that motor so I don't know if it would be worth the effort or not.

I picked it up as a parts quad from the scrap yard for$75.00. This particular motor was mounted in a

125 frame. The frame is been welded a modified so I thought it would be a good parts quad. I have three other similar year quads 180lf - 250 lf & 125lf. I have only one that runs. As I have never rebuilt a four stroke was curious to get some opinions on what to do. Thanks for the reply.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Topics

• By Dwight Williams
      Ok, so I bought a 2006 bayou 250 for 200 bucks, kid couldn't start it and had no idea why it wouldn't run, I pulled the rope and felt what I thought was valve to piston contact, he wanted 500 and I talked him down to 200 and brought it home.  Sure enough, timing was way far out, timing chain incredibly loose.  So for fun I re-tensioned the timing chain and re timed it, got about 120lbs of compression, pretty low.  I cannot get the chain very tight but the the tensioner seems to work fine, the chain guides don't look very worn.  Also, when I took the head off the valves don't look bent and the piston has no discernible marks on it.  Is this an interference engine?  I sure thought I felt some contact with the pull rope but maybe no permanent damage was done?  Anyway, I plan on doing a full top end job as well as timing chain tensioners and hopefully that'll cure it.  Is there any reason other than chain stretch (I measured it and it's ok) or guide wear that would cause the chain to be so loose?  Thanks!

• By David Miller
      Does anyone know how to access the check engine codes on a 2018 450 sportsman. Just changed battery and spark plug . It runs fine but the light is on and I need this to plow snow and need it reliable. Any ideas . Thanks
    • By YamahaGrizzly
      So my Yamaha grizzly 700 wasn't going into reverse for some reason but Jon and George figured it out on what to do to fix that problem for me. Jon Talks about how he was able to fix that problem my Yamaha Grizzly was having with the reverse.
      On a side note we are so close to 1k subs! hell ya!
    • By Juan Gutierrez
      hello all. i have a suzuki lt230e engine. hopefully i can get it to drive some wheels soon.
    • By Greg van Splunder
      Any one have a diagram or engine manual on setting timing ? Had chain come off and need to know Mark's or procedure to re set timing. 
  • Similar Tagged Content

• By Beb1041
      Looking for a download of a manual
    • By schmeck
      Anyone know of a good repair besides replacement for the ever cracking Big Bear 350 intakes. Replaced with a Zoom Zoom about two operational hours ago and the new one is cracked.
    • By jimbo1944
      Greetings,
      I have a 1998 Yamaha big bear 350, new to this. When its cold it is very difficult to shift. Once its warm its ok, however, my old feet don't like the shifting. I saw on ebay a hand shifter conversion kit. Any advice, I live in the Low Country of SC no hills, I use the machine around the farm for corning and scouting.
      Thanks,
      Jim
    • By Hermanmd33
      I am desperately seeking some help from all of you on trying to locate a free download of a manual. One of the biggest problems that I have is that I'm very computer illiterate.
      So if anybody can help me, by sending me a link to a free download on the manual that I am requesting. It would be much appreciated. Or if you can email it to me that would be the easiest for me. [email protected]
      Thank you for your time, hope there's somebody out there that can help me.
    • By neo33ny
      Long story short, I have an lt160 with a quad racer swingarm. It needs new front pivot bearings. Whoever swapped the swingarm used pipe and stacks of washers to space it but it still seemed to have quite a bit of play. My question is how would I go about spacing it more "legit"?. It's just going to be a beater for around the farm but I don't want it totally cob jobbed. From the looks of it, it's just a matter of aligning it, measuring and finding something to shim the gaps. Correct me if I'm wrong or if there's a better or proper way to go about this. Also not sure what I would use for spacers. Any help/tips would be appreciated. Thanks.