Quantcast

2002 Yamaha Bear Tracker - Lower Unit Clanking Noise

Drenski

New member here. This looks like a great website.

I've got a problem with my 2002 Bear Tracker. It's a long story so I'll try and cut it down.

I bought the Bear Tracker for cheap because it didn't run. I was told one of the valve rocker arms was broken. I pulled on the starter and it turned so I decided to purchase it. It was true, one of the rocker arms was broken however, after removing the head I saw the piston was at the top of the cylinder. I pulled the cylinder and the piston came off with it. The piston was a mess and had broken away from the connecting rod. Parts of the piston had fallen into the lower unit. I pulled the engine out and started the dis-assembly. It was all pulled apart but I couldn't pull the crank shaft apart without the proper tools. I also didn't like the idea of removing all the bearing pressed into the casings. I found a lower unit on Ebay for cheap but it was missing both sides. I bought it and after it arrived I took the entire mess down to the Yamaha dealer and payed them to reassemble it with a new piston and rings and a fixed cylinder. After getting it home and reinstalling it, it ran great. I was very happy however after it warmed up this clanking noise showed up. I took the bike back and the dealership went through what they had done but couldn't find anything wrong with what they did. This leads me to believe that there was something wrong with the lower unit part that I bought off Ebay. So, finally, my question is, what is in the central part of the lower unit that would make a clanking noise when warmed up. I can't see why a bearing would make a clanking noise or anything else in that area. Any ideas would be very much appreciated. Thank you, thank you thank you. Ps... believe it or not, this is the cut down version.

Could it be something as simple as a skid plate hitting the frame after it heated up? Ire you certain the noise is coming from the engine? Try the stethescope trick to see if it's coming from one side of the engine or the other. I like Marioweldings idea, Can you upload a video with sound? That would help.

• 2 weeks later...

I will get a sound bite up here soon and I'll look to see if it's a plate hitting the frame after it warms us. I towed my son and daughter on a sled behind this atv just the other day and I really didn't hear much of a noise. Maybe it was because I was distracted by driving or watching my kids in the sled. I don't know.

Thanks for all the input. This is great.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Forum Topics

• By semicolon
      Hi, I am having issues with my TRX350D fuel pump.  It suddenly stopped running so I have replaced all the fuses and cleaned all the terminals.  I have fitted a new pump, fuel cut-off relay and rectifier.  Still nothing!!  The pump runs when attached to a battery.  The engine will start on the choke and the filter fills with fuel but it will  not rev and dies when the choke is closed. I have power to the relay but nothing at the pump black/white wire when cranking the engine.  Any ideas where to go from here would be very much appreciated!!

• By HSTAR
      Hey I have a 1997 big bear 350 4x4
      I replaced the shifter shaft and the shift arm linkage and the rod when I installed them all I was unaware that you had to line the dot on the shifter shaft with the gap on the linkage arm gap put it all back  together and rode it I can't get it to shift in the right gears  I can move the shift cam by hand and goes in different gears but with the shifter shaft in it riding I can't put it in R or N 
      Anyone know how to line up the shifter shaft and the shift cam s

• By John Sinclair
      I WANTED TO UPGRADE THE CARBURATOR ON MY 1992 BIG BEAR 350, SO I ORDERED A NEW CARB FROM EBAY.  ACCORDING TO THE WRITE-UP IT WAS A GOOD FIT FOR BIG BEARS FROM 1988 TO 1996.  WHEN I REMOVED MY ORIGINAL CARB I NOTICED THAT IT WAS DIFFERENT FROM THE NEW CARB MY CARB HAD TWO THROTTLE  CABLES THE NEW CARB ONLY HAD ONE CABLE.  HOW CAN I MAKE THIS CARB WORK ON MY TWO CABLE THROTTLE?  
    • By N00bie
      From Arkansas. Just bought a 2012 Gator 850i RSX because I could not pass up the price. BUT it has an idle problem. So, to be honest, I joined just to get a service manual. I have a choice: 1)Buy a hard copy: ~$100; 2)Buy a CD ~$35.00; Get a direct download for free posting 10 times; or get a download for $29.00 (subscription). Haven't decided what to do yet.
    • By hardcastle
      My friends KQ 300 starts fine and runs, as soon as you put it in gear and try to accelerate its bucks and farts like crazy, not moving... I cleaned carb and it worked good for 1 day... now back to same problem.... could it be such as a bent valve????