Quantcast

• Join Today, It's Simple and FREE!

As a member, you can post in our forums, upload your photos and videos, use and contribute to our downloads, create your own member page, add your ATV events, and even start your own ATV club to host your own club forum and gallery.  Registration is fast and you can even login with social network accounts to sync your profiles and content.

jaysun

2008 Kawasaki KFX450R - Dangling Wire

If you look at my previous posts, you'll see I'm completely new to riding. I don't know much of anything about riding or mechanical issues. I picked up a 2008 Kawasaki KFX 450R and just happened to notice a wire dangling about a week ago. There's no telling how long it's been this way. I noticed it just before I took it out to the motocross track and gambled on the fact the it wasn't important enough to matter. The quad ran fine but I have to figure out what this is for before I take it out again this weekend. I questioned a few friends before coming here and none of them could tell me, definitively, what it is. Below is a link to a short video, showing the wire. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, in advance.

Wire - YouTube

from the looks of it, it should be attached by a bolt somewhere. is it really close to the chaincase cover ? could be the neutral/safety switch. doubt if it's a brake light sensor, but might be too ???

I'm not sure what a chaincase cover is, but I assume that would be near the chain. This is nowhere near the chain. It's under the seat, towards the back of the engine. I don't mean any offense, but did you watch the video? It's pretty clear about the location of the wire.

On a side note, I initially thought it looked like something that might run the brake light. No dice. The brake light still works fine. With the brakes applied and as running lights with the headlights on.

I just dug in a little further and found where it fits. I took off the seat, dug around with a flashlight, and discovered a spot where that plastic piece slides in, with a place for a bolt to hold it in. I'm not sure how all of these things are falling off my bike (this is the 2nd thing to fall off in just a month) but I'm also not sure what purpose this wire serves. The end that goes in the hole is plastic, yet has wires coming out of it. Unless it's some sort of NFC chip (like smart keys), I don't see what purpose plastic could serve.

I found the spot for the wire. Video here... Wire2 - YouTube

However, it wasn't bolted down. I'll have to find something to secure it. I still have no idea what it does. It certainly has something to do with the air filter.

You may as well have said "controversial blue banana speaker". No clue what that is. I'm sorry, man. I know you're trying to help and I appreciate it. I looked at your pic, though, and it looks nothing like the piece I'm talking about. As I said, though, I found where it needs to go, I just have to find a way to secure it back in its spot. However, even then, I have no clue what it actually does. You have the air filter casing. You have the big plastic tube that comes off of the air filter casing. Then you have this bundle of wires with a plastic cone on the end which does.... something, apparently. I'd really like to know what it does and how important it is that it's hooked up. Like I said, I have no clue how long I've been without it. Hell, this thing could've been unplugged since I bought the bike 2 months ago. I have no idea.

the pic is just showing sensors not to scale/photogenic really, check the wires, i know it has a yellow/black, blue?/black and ??/black. 3 wires total running to it ... it was hard to make out the abbreviations of the colors ...

It's either the air inlet pressure sensor or the air inlet temperature sensor. Or both? No idea. I have no idea what it does or how to reattach it.

If it plugs in to the tube in front of the airbox, it is an oxygen sensor. I would think if it was a sensor it wouldn't be running right, you know like spiting and spudding. If you trace the wire back where does it go?