Quantcast

Gutless 2002 Prairie 650. Why?

idahorider

So I am hoping that many of you more experienced riders/mechanics can help me out with a problem that I have been having with my 2002 kawasaki prairie. Just a little background first. I received this atv from my father in exchange for some work. It has been a great atv with plenty of power. It has been used mostly on the farm and has just over 2000 hours on it (2024). My father stopped using it for about two years. It sat inside his shop for this whole time. He claimed that it didnt run very well and isnt the type to go get it fixed so it just sat with a 1/2 tank of gas in it for over two years. This is where the problems began. I got on it and drove it and immediately noticed that it was gutless. Slow throttle response, little power and would only go about 15-23 mph. I figured since it had sat for two years the carb was gummed up and needed to be cleaned. So I cleaned it. Put it back together and still no luck. Talked to some friends they said clean it better. So I cleaned it in some of the nastiest carb cleaner that I could find. Blew out all of the ports and needles and got it looking awesome! Still was gutless. So I read forum after forum looking for similar problems and applied all that I could. I thought that is was the belt switch so I flipped it and actually put it in the "slow mode". Screen on the meter was flashing and everything. Flipped it back and the screen was normal again but still gutless. This is when I realized that I didnt put fresh fuel in (I know...stupid, but learning). So I put new fuel in and still gutless. I thought that it was the fuel filter. Realized that there was no inline fuel filter so I pulled the tank and removed the fuel pump and cleaned the filter that is in front of the fuel pump. Put back together and still gutless. Then I realized that I had been running the "cleaned" carb with the old gas and maybe thought it had gummed it up again. So I deep cleaned the carb again. So with clean gas, cleaned fuel pump filter, switch on the belt cover in the correct position and a very clean carb I still have a gutless atv. I am seriously at my wits end! Sorry for the long post but is there something that I am missing? Please lend me some advice. Thanks

The only other thing left that you have not looked at is the cdi box. It may not be getting enough of a spark. What does the plug look like? Did you take the plug out and turn it over with it grounded to the engine? Just a couple of ideas.......

Edited by Ogre33

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Forum Topics

• By mehim
      Hi everyone. 
      Let me explain the thread title. 
      My husband and I are very active in the nudist community, and we have stayed at many and most of the mainstream nudist and clothing optional campgrounds in the USA. We are now approaching our retirement and would like to start a podcast to share those off the road / backwoods / little known camping areas where nudity is allowed. We have purchased a 5th wheel camping trailer with a rear garage for the ATV and now need some good reports on the one to buy. 
      We are most interested in a side by side unit but would love to get your thoughts. 
      Feel free to stop by and say Hi and ask anything you would like to better understand what we are looking for in an offroad unit. 
      Thanks for reading and hope to hear from you. 

• By N00bie
      From Arkansas. Just bought a 2012 Gator 850i RSX because I could not pass up the price. BUT it has an idle problem. So, to be honest, I joined just to get a service manual. I have a choice: 1)Buy a hard copy: ~$100; 2)Buy a CD ~$35.00; Get a direct download for free posting 10 times; or get a download for $29.00 (subscription). Haven't decided what to do yet.
    • By semicolon
      Hi, I am having issues with my TRX350D fuel pump.  It suddenly stopped running so I have replaced all the fuses and cleaned all the terminals.  I have fitted a new pump, fuel cut-off relay and rectifier.  Still nothing!!  The pump runs when attached to a battery.  The engine will start on the choke and the filter fills with fuel but it will  not rev and dies when the choke is closed. I have power to the relay but nothing at the pump black/white wire when cranking the engine.  Any ideas where to go from here would be very much appreciated!!

• By ResQ91
      Hi Guys!

New member and could really use your advice. I would have to believe this has been an issue for others but a search here came up with nothing......? (Probably me not doing search correctly)

I have an 87 Big Bear 350 YFM350FWT
      The OEM Mikuni BTM carb is shot and would rather replace than rebuild.
      It is no longer made and I have had good luck with NICHE carbs so I ordered a #K-CRB-0006 This was what they said was replacement when ordered. This Carb only uses 1 Throttle cable. The Slide is linked so it uses one. (OEM had 2nd cable coming through top to move slide)

Problem is when I ordered a replacement Cable from NICHE (#C-CBL-0061) the Cable wire is a little short, not allowing Throttle to return all the way down to Idle position. I called NICHE and they are at a loss. Haven't gotten back to me after 2+ weeks.

What would you recommend other than a carb rebuild?
      Can I just use 1 of the OEM cables (It is the right length) and snip/disconnect the other that went to top of Carb for Slide?
      Or ??

Thanks in advance for any advice you have!!

Dave
    • By skittle021
      So I've got a Hisun 550 that I was doing some work on that required removing the CVT and it's housing. Upon attempting to reinstall the clutch, sheaves, etc, I found that the belt no longer fits - it's far too wide. None of the parts have been replaced, they're all OEM. Exactly the same parts as what I took off a few weeks ago.
      To be more specific, my belt is 1.25in wide, but the gap between the clutch and the primary sheave is only 7/8in wide. I'll include a few photos to explain.
      Has anyone ever experienced such a bizarre problem? Any help at all would be appreciated, I've been stuck on this for a month. I'm open to just about any suggestion.
      Photos: