Quantcast

• Join Today, It's Simple and FREE!

As a member, you can post in our forums, upload your photos and videos, use and contribute to our downloads, create your own member page, add your ATV events, and even start your own ATV club to host your own club forum and gallery.  Registration is fast and you can even login with social network accounts to sync your profiles and content.

Took my wolvy for her first trail ride past weekend. Got home and cleaned all the mud and dirt off. Went to take a spin around the neighborhood and started having issues.

When you are about 1/2 to 3/4 throttle the RPMs will sudden spike way up with little difference in power to the machine. Once you shift to the next gear it will increase power/rpm consistently then same thing happens and you get a sudden RPM spike. It also seems to recreate the problem if you are low in the gear and try to punch it...High rpm with no power increase. If you shift gears and gradually increase throttle she will increase power and RPMs consistently but if you shift and are more than 1/2 throttle it will increase power and RPMs fine until you get about 1/2 to 3/4 way through the gear then you get the same RPM spike...

Hope I am explaining this clearly. My truck did a similar thing once and it turned out to be a whole new tranny...hope this is a different issue. Thanks for your help guys and gals.

Any ideas?? Im stumped. Took another test ride last night after changing all the fluids. Seems like the RPMs will peg out then slow down enough to catch the gear and start giving the wolvey the power to work through the gear.

does it feel like it is slipping with the high revs ?

i would check the drive belt maybe ...

It does feel like slippage in there for sure. I don't know if this is related or not but I have since developed noise coming from the front of the machine somewhere. It sounds like a very loud chirping noise over and over again. Noise really gets bad when I am making a turn but it will also happen when just going straight

This might be a dumb question but I am new to ATVs...How exactly do you know if the clutch is/going bad when you open up the case?

Any idea what might be causing the chirp/squeak in the front end? Almost sounds like a car when the belts need replacing/conditioner on them. It is driving me :aargh:

Take the cover off and start it. Be careful of loose clothing in that area. You will probably find the noise louder from there. Probably springs gone ... the chirp is probably because everything is out of whack or you may luck out just needing a belt ...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Topics

• By bradley nelson
      Im cool with the police in my area so i can ride on public roads.
    • By quadtech62
      I have a 02 Warrior i am trying to build a wiring harness i have looked in the manual and  i am confused... the pick up has 2 wires.  W/R W/G The source rotation coil has 2 wires. One is Red other is white/blue. The manual shows the  the white and blue wire connected to the w/g  right after the stator... so why is these 2 wires connected?  Does not show w/b wire at cdi 
      i have looked at many options with no luck if someone has a 2002-2004 warrior and can take a pic of the wires and location at cdi i would really appreciate it. Thanks
    • By Barry Troxtell
      I have a 2005 Sportsman 500, Instrument cluster will not illuminate, hi/lo beams work though.  Any tips or troubleshooting info is greatly appreciated!
    • By Rich1028
      Hitting the Trail in the Morning.

Heading out to Leota Trails 
      It's the Wife's Birthday Weekend,and I asked Her what,or where she wanted to go,she said  she wanted to go riding trails!

• By Christian Brindle
      I have a 2000 Polaris Sportsman 500. A year or so ago we got it running after replacing the kill switch. It ran great but after some use for a couple months it got a flat tire and for some reason we just forgot about it and it sat for some time. Before it sat i replaced the gas cap, fuel filter, fuel pump, petcock, battery, starter relay, oil and oil filter. I recently went to start it and it started so quickly and without choke or throttle but the ATV wouldn't move till about 1/4 throttle and it wasn't really a smooth ride until 1/2 throttle. it also would bog out randomly after you came to a stop and sounded like it was getting too much fuel. I cleaned the carb and adjusted the air/fuel screw to 1 3/4 turns out.  I also messed with the idle and the throttle cable adjuster up on the handlebars. It's safe to say it now runs worse than when i started working on it 2 days ago. It takes more effort to get started and bogs out idling after about 30 seconds. I tried adjusting the idle but every time i do it'll get to a sweet spot but after driving it down the driveway and back the idle will go up and down to the point where i can't put it in gear because the gears will grind. Any thoughts or ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
  • Similar Tagged Content

• Guest Fox300exchic
      By Guest Fox300exchic
      The Hop-Up: You may be saying to yourself, “that’s a chick bike,” and you’re right. But honestly, it’s so much more than that. It’s one badass bike. http://www.quadmagazine.com/quad/features/article/0,24942,1587044,00.html
    • By alexcross324
      Hi all, I try to find this manual in the threads but you have a lot of stock here
      Cannot find this particular manual.
      I found it for YFM200 but not sure if they are the same.
      Thanks if you could help me with that.
      Im new here so if I did something wrong, please tell me.
    • By dyyjrr9
      I just got a 1991 Yamaha Moto 4 for my son and I am looking for a service repair manual. I know that the timing chain needs replaced.
    • By Srx_Man
      Hey I own stock why Yfz 450 and I'm just looking to slap a turbocharger on it.. I was just wondering if they're pretty compatible with these machines it is the carburetored version Yfz 450. I have all the piping hook ups / kit that's threw HURON SPEED an i also have turbo lined up for it gt 12.. I was just wondering what else I need to make this work? I know i would need to up the Jets and stuff for starter but Is it just that simple or do I need blow off valves and like some time on regulator on it or so forth? Trying get ideal what i would need
    • By M0BJT
      Hi Everyone
      This is my first post and I was wondering if there is anyone who can help me solve a problem I have with my Yamaha Kodiak 400 4x4 Fitted with a Mikuni Carburetor . The year of the quad is around 1998, the reason I am not sure of the date is, there wasn't any paperwork and no details on the frame either.
      The quad had a bad leak from the carb overflow which indicated that the float needle valve was blocked or passing so I replaced this and put everything back together. The quad ran really well until I took it onto some rough ground to have a ride around, a few hours later the engine started to run really rough as if the engine was flooding. I have removed the carb again and cleaned the needle valve out and the whole of the carb just in case there where any dirt behind it. Engine now runs fine again but fuel has started to run out the carb overflow again.
      I have tried everything to try and stop the fuel leaking out the overflow but its still happening. My last thoughts where to adjust the float level and its still happening.
      Has anyone got any thoughts on the problem or could suggest whats causing the fuel leaking out the overflow.
      Thanks for reading
      Kevin