Quantcast

• Join Today, It's Simple and FREE!

As a member, you can post in our forums, upload your photos and videos, use and contribute to our downloads, create your own member page, add your ATV events, and even start your own ATV club to host your own club forum and gallery.  Registration is fast and you can even login with social network accounts to sync your profiles and content.

clsharky

Help with starter relay connector info

Hi. The starter relay has burned out on my daughters 1998 LT80 ATV. Im pretty sure the relay is bad, because if I jumper the 12v constant and the 12v switched to the starter at the relay connector, the starter will turn over. I have already ordered a new relay and a brush kit for the OEM starter I have in a box (it has a Chinese made starter installed now, and I dont know what condition it is in, other than it turns when I apply 12v as explained above).

The relay will not be here until next week, and what I want to do is wire in a regular automotive 30 amp relay until the new one gets here. I will leave the connector intact and I have already made 4 male-female jumper wires. What I need to know is which wire goes where on the 5 pin relay, seeing as how the old one is not marked. Typically, the constant 12v goes to terminal 30, the push-button start wire should go to 86, the output starter wire goes to 87 and I am left with one more wire, which is the white/black tracer from the engine stop switch. I dont know where to connect this, and I also dont know if I need to hook up a ground to terminal 85.

Any help with this would be ideal. I am pretty good with wiring, but its been awhile since Ive played around with relays, and I would rather have some advice before continuing. Also, the optional pull starter is not installed on her ATV, and if anyone knows where I could find one, new or used, reasonably priced, that would be nice too. Preferrably in Canada. Thanks.

Edited by clsharky

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By Snowden
      Hi everyone,
      I have a question, if the starter clutch gear looks fine but is still not working correctly then all I should need to replace is the one way bearing, right?
      thanks,
    • By Blue
      Hey all I have a question on my 94 fourtrax 4x4. The electric start won't work. When I hit the button I hear the solenoid clicking but nothing happening. I put on a new solenoid and same thing happened. So I took off starter and checked it, brushes looked good nothing looked out of the ordinary. My battery is putting out 11.2 volts. I wouldn't think that would be it since I put a newer battery in from my other quad and still got same results. Any ideas I'm scratching my head on this one.
    • By Pure_Michigan
      I bought this old three wheeler that I found in a barn. It looked pretty rough, but I have it running now and functioning.
      With the switch set to "run" and the key in the "on" position the electric starter does not work when I push the starter button,
      However, if I cross the solenoid it will work and it will start the engine - so I know the starter motor is good and it works.
      Now, it gets a little mysterious. When the engine is running, AND the headlight is on high beam, the electric starter will engage when the starter button is pushed.....When its already running! (when the headlight is off or on "low" the starter button does nothing, only when running and in high beam will you hear the starter motor zing when you push the starter button) So, I know the button actually works, but only after the engine is already running and the high beam is on!
      So to recap: with the key on, the starter button does nothing. crossing the solenoid will make the starter work, and after the engine is running the starter will work with the button!
      Has anyone else had this problem? Can anyone point me in the right direction on solving this one?
      Thanks!
    • By stepadery
      The connector that that plugs into the switch evidently was caught by something while riding (I'm guessing) and a couple of wires were pulled out of the connector. I have attached a picture. Is there any where that I can get this female end with pigtails without buying the entire wiring harness? I'm a pretty good wire splicer and solderer.