Quantcast

• Do you own an ATV, UTV or SxS? Join our Community Forum!

QUADCRAZY ATV Community and Forum are FREE to join! We keep our ATV, UTV, and SxS forums clean and user friendly. All first time posters in our forums will have to wait to have their content reviewed and approved. Once your first ten posts are approved, you will no longer need to go through a forum post approval process. To bypass the approval process with immediate access and a NO ADS experience in our ATV, SxS, and UTV forums, consider subsribing to a Premium Membership

Checking valve clearnace and Gold Plugs

toonces

Doing this for the first time on the old 2011 Grizz 700 and have a few q's?

I've found valve clearance specs as such...

Intake 0.09–0.13 mm (0.0035–0.0051 in)

Exhaust 0.16–0.20 mm (0.0063–0.0079 in)

If anyone can confirm that'd be great. I've been told to adjust the valve clearances to the top of the range in anticipation that they will tighten over time. This sound about right?

Are these the only two o-rings I'll need to replace? Both #18s in the schematic...

Yamaha ATV Parts 2011 GRIZZLY 700EPS 4WD HUNTER - YFM7FGPHA CYLINDER HEAD Diagram

And finally, which of those two valve covers are the intake and exhaust?

Also, was wondering about replacing my two gear box oil drain plugs and engine oil plug with the magnetic Gold Plugs. But at a price of $60 I'm wondering if they're actually worth it. Do people regularly find metal bits attached to these plugs?

Thanks

Valve lash will increase over time due to wear.. Adjust them cold, and more to the tight end of the range.. As the motor warms up, the clearance will increase slightly as metal expands. Magnetic plugs will pick up any tiny wear fragments and if more than a very small amount of the finest steel "dust" could give you an early warning of a component failing; but at a price of $60, not worth it in my opinion.. You could check for wear by passing a small magnet through the spent oil when doing a regular oil change a lot cheaper and pretty much as effectively as using magnetized plugs. Sorry , I can't advise on which cover is over the intake or exhaust valves.