Quantcast

• Do you own an ATV, UTV or SxS? Join our Community Forum!

QUADCRAZY ATV Community and Forum are FREE to join! We keep our ATV, UTV, and SxS forums clean and user friendly. All first time posters in our forums will have to wait to have their content reviewed and approved. Once your first ten posts are approved, you will no longer need to go through a forum post approval process. To bypass the approval process with immediate access and a NO ADS experience in our ATV, SxS, and UTV forums, consider subsribing to a Premium Membership

LTZ 400 bogging off idle

Bigd1792

I have a 04 LTZ 400 I just picked up. It's completely stock as far as I know besides an upgraded k&n style air filter. I recently flushed all the fluids and cleaned the carb out as well as replacing the main jet o ring that was corroded and replaced the spark plug. The issue I'm having is that the bike starts right up and idles perfect and revs fine at any rpm when u hit the throttle but as soon as it's warm, if you hit the throttle quickly it will bog and sometimes die. If you gradually increase the throttle at a smooth rate it revs fine. What could be the issue?

Sorry ,  I  can't help  with  it, but  there  should be  lots of  information on the  net  if you search on  it ..  Bogging  on acceleration  was very  common   on cars  and utility  vehicles that  relied on accelerator  pumps to momentarily  enrich the  mixture  when  the throttle  was  opened quickly. The accelerator  pump  will  be  a  part of the  carburettor.. it  may be operated  by the  vacuum "can"  on the Suzuki's  carb..  One  the older  cars and  carbs on some  ATVs it was an actual  plunger in a "tube"  in the  carb  that  gave a  small  shot of  gas when the  throttle  was opened ..  on other  carbs , it  is a  needle  valve that   is opened   by the  movement  of the  throttle  or  a vacuum can.

Fortunately  I  haven't had to  get into the  carbs or ignition/  electrical  systems on my  quad  (Honda) or  my  friends Suzuki, so  I  can't give you  first  hand advice  on  working on them.  I  can  only  give  you  a  clue  where  to  look  for a possible  solution to the problem.

Edited by davefrombc
Fixed a typo and omission

I can't say for sure which parts on your carb are bad. Problem could be caused by something else as well. What I would do would be tear the carb off and check the accelerator pump out. It might just need the diaphragm, but you won't know until you look at it. Also inspect your main diaphragm (#8) for any cracks.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, wildthang said:

I can't say for sure which parts on your carb are bad. Problem could be caused by something else as well. What I would do would be tear the carb off and check the accelerator pump out. It might just need the diaphragm, but you won't know until you look at it. Also inspect your main diaphragm (#8) for any cracks.

I'll do that, thanks again!!

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Forum Topics

• By kantrud97
      Hello i have a 2005 Bombardier Outlander max xt 400, i recently split the case to fix a oil leak. while in there i took out the oil pump and i cant find the torque specs for the oil pump to go back in, i tend to over tighten everything so im trying to go be the torque specs so i dont break anything.

Thank you in advance
    • By Suzukiquad
      If you had to choose one mod that you couldn't live without, or had to recommend one what would it be? 
    • By Drillbit
      Hey all,
      I need some input on a problem I'm having with my Kodiak 400 that keeps fouling plugs. First off, I've done a lot of work to this thing, most of it all in good fun. Brake work, cv joints, u joints, carb kit, checked valve lash, compression good, changed all fluids, etc... My problem is it keeps fouling plugs very quickly. I can put a new (manual recommended plug) in and it starts right up, runs great, idles great, picks up good. Doesn't stutter at all. I ride it for 1/2 a mile, it cuts off and won't start back up. I let it sit overnight thinking maybe it got to hot. Try to start it the next day, nothing. Put a new plug in, fires right up, runs great for another 1/2 mile or so, dead. The plugs come out and look carbon fouled with dry black soot on them. I don't know if this is a fuel/air mixture problem or a ignition problem. A couple of things that I noticed is I never need to pull the choke out to start it. Also, when it starts it automatically idles high like an automatic choke would do, then it comes back down to a good idle. Also I noticed that the air/fuel mixture needle valve screw does nothing when I adjust it in or out. I can screw it all the way closed and the motor still runs and idles good. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I'm almost leaning to a ignition breaking down the plugs??
      Thanks! 
    • By Am2007
      Hi everyone,
      Outlander 2006 400 XT i have replace the startor cover and right after i did that the oil light is on and not turn off, i check the wires and checked the oil level, everything seem to be normal quad is starting without any problem and rev just fine. i did not want to ride it since im not sure if it is faulty sensor or not so just be safe i did not let it run more the a minute or so. 
      I have read in the owner manual that i need to clean the oil strainer every 200hr unfortunately i never did that, my service manual that i have does not even indicate of such a thing. so i did some search around and it seem like canam split the manual into 3 parts
      owner manual
      service manual
      engine manual
      I have the first 2 but i can not find the last one, part number 219100232. If someone can guide me where do i find the oil strainer so i can clean it i will appreciate it.   im going to do an oil pressure test tomorrow to check how many PSI i have, just to make sure.
      Thanks
    • By p5200
      The studs in the sprocket hub are stripped out. The hub is probably walloed out also. Probably will have to have a new sprocket hub. I doubt I have the ability nor the tools needed for this job. Thanks for all suggestions/opinions! 

20240225_155255.mp4   20240225_155255.mp4 20240225_155255.mp4 20240225_155255.mp4