Quantcast

• Join Today, It's Simple and FREE!

As a member, you can post in our forums, upload your photos and videos, use and contribute to our downloads, create your own member page, add your ATV events, and even start your own ATV club to host your own club forum and gallery.  Registration is fast and you can even login with social network accounts to sync your profiles and content.

Sign in to follow this  
ATVNetwork

How to double the pulling power of your winch

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Forum Topics

• Fluid Forum View - Check It Out!

Have you checked out our new fluid view for our forum? It'll give you a list of the latest topics on the home page instead of the the traditional/classic forum categories. You can switch back and fourth from fluid to classic views by clicking on the buttons on the top of the forum...  

By Admin, in Announcements/Support

• 0 replies
    • View from the Locked Gate

©2009 by Del Albright, Use freely given by Permission Only, All Rights Reserved. Page 1 View from the Locked Gate A bit of sarcasm about an access lesson By Del & Stacie Albright, BlueRibbon Coalition The gal in uniform with the big gun on her hip smiled and waved as she installed the recessed pad lock on the gate. I guess she thought we were happy about the road being closed. Her rugged 4x4 government‐bought pickup truck that was kinda parked in our view had all sorts of signs and decals declaring she was a public servant. We figured it must be true. She had sent us an official‐looking letter a while back asking for comments, but the fish were a’bitin’ so we missed out on the letter‐writin’. We figured someone else would write those darn letters. We figured wrong on all accounts. It was a heck of a view we had – trees, rocks, trails, roads, wildlife, mountains, creeks, and vast open areas beckoning to the adventurer in all of us. It’s easy to recall my Dad, Elmer, telling stories of roaming this kind of back country area 40 years ago with the freedom of a jack rabbit in the Mojave Desert. He always told us to get outdoors and have fun while taking care of the land. He figured we would all have the same freedom. He figured wrong. The ability, and most importantly the opportunity that my dad had to take his kids out and teach us how to fish, hunt, hike, play and breathe in the fresh air is all but gone now. My mind wanders off and I think of what can happen if we continue down this dangerous path of management by closure. Soon it will be just a happy memory of our nine year old when she was able to see nature, hike, take pictures and jump in and out of our 4 wheel drive while we were on the hunt for a new camp spot. Soon she will not have the opportunity to teach them the same lessons and family traditions that came naturally and innocently in her youth to her tots. Our view now is tainted, to say the least. Padlocks, iron pipe, closed signs, reinforced hinges, and small‐print letting us know under no uncertain circumstances that the land beyond the gate is CLOSED to access – unless of course you want to haul your buns in there via boot rubber. Now, as I stand here watching that same gal in uniform jump back into her four wheel drive (that I paid for) and drive on down my old favorite trail I get a lump in my throat and I get a little teary eyed just thinking about the view our kids are going to have from this same locked gate that’s in my backyard. I don’t think I’m figuring wrong anymore. Article: View from Locked Gate Back to the future: in reality, there are things we can all do to prevent this (sarcastic) scenario from happening. You’ve read tons of articles on getting involved, joining groups like BlueRibbon Coalition, and ensuring your family and friends have a place to ride. Just do it. Visit Land Use, Access and Rubicon Trail Home Page by Del Albright including Volunteer Training and Outdoor Photography and BlueRibbon Coalition: Preserving your recreational access to public lands. for more things you can do right now. Make a difference and help prevent closures from blocking our “view” any more. Join up, donate and get in the game. Please, before we have nothing left to figure on... The BlueRibbon Coalition is a national recreation group that champions responsible use of public lands and waters, and encourages individual environmental stewardship. It represents over 10,000 individual members and 1,200 organization and business members, for a combined total of over 600,000 recreationists nationwide. 1‐800‐258‐3742. BlueRibbon Coalition: Preserving your recreational access to public lands.

By ATVsToday, in ATV Laws, Legal Issues, and Policing

• 0 replies
  • Similar Tagged Content

• By Vertigo
      My non-running '08 450 hour 1450 mile 450 grizzly investment paid off! I paid a buck per cc...yup, $450.
      It smoked mosquito-fogger bad, was missing starter solenoid, a fuse, racks and a few small plastics, needed a rear ujoint, a brake caliper and lever. Popped in the fuse, plugged in starter solenoid and a carb clean out came next.  After an oil change, seafoam treatment, and reseating rings by very hard and hot riding towing a 5' disc for two hours, it completely stopped it's bad habit! Changed oil and filter again (went synthetic), and have put a hundred hours of trail-busting and mountain climbing, everything is working perfectly, and not using any oil.

My current task is to repair the winch, if possible. It was crammed jam-packed full of dust, rust, and mud.
      I disassembled it, cleaned it completely, found nothing overtly appearing broken, but it feels like the knob for freewheel/engage is "sticky".
      I mean, REALLY sticky-the Mitsubishoid rhombus-triad looking mechanism appears to not release, unless I pull or tap on it.
      I've not yet reassembled it, want to find out if the disengage action is normally this "sticky".

Anyone have experience with this? How about a schematic, or manual?
    • By ATVNetwork
      Finding the right winch for your ATV is pretty easy if you know what you are looking for, but if you don't, it can be pretty challenging. What differentiates winches from one another can can mean the difference of getting unstuck or staying stuck. QuadBoss winches start at 2500lb and go up to 5000lb, with the option if wire cable or rope. Our recommendation is to go with the rope as it's easy to work with and it won't develop the burrs that can occur on steel cable, making it safer to handle without gloves, although careless use will cause knots. QuadBoss offers their winches with Dyneema Rope in the models below:
      QuadBoss 2500lb Winch with Dyneema Rope RP25WS - $186.58 on Amazon
      QuadBoss 3500lb Winch with Dyneema Rope RP35WS - $193.74 on Amazon
      Quadboss 5000lb Winch with Dyneema Rope RP5000SR - $257.57 on Amazon

If you chose to go with wire cable, here are your choices:
      QuadBoss 2500lb Winch with Wire Cable RP25WC - $166.12 on Amazon
      QuadBoss 3500lb Winch with Wire Cable RP35WC - $173.28 on Amazon
      Quadboss 5000lb Winch with Wire Cable Rp5000qb - $229.91 on Amazon

QUADBOSS 2500lb and 3500lb winches feature:
      2 Stage planetary gear system for fast line speed Low electric current Aluminum engagement lever Automatic load-holding self locking brake Power in & power out Free spooling Sealed & Water Resistant ¼" safety hook  Handlebar mounted switch Roller fairlead 3Hp, 3.5Hp,  heavy duty electric permanent magnetic motor 39' x 3/16" aircraft cable Wire Cable or Grey Dyneema® rope - Rated line to pull 2500lbs QuadBoss model specific mount kits and accessories sold separately One Year Limited Warranty  
      QUADBOSS 5000lb winches feature:
      Wireless and handheld remote controls included Sealed and water-resistant Automatic load: holding self-locking brake Low electric current Free-spooling Three-stage, metal-planetary gear system for fast line speed Aluminum engagement lever Includes 50 ft. wire cable or 50 ft. synthetic Dyneema® rope One-year limited warranty  

Don't forget to get your self a QuadBoss Winch Accessory Kit! The QuadBoss Winch Accessory Kit comes complete with a snatch block capable of handling up to 8,000 lbs. as well as a 1/2 in. D-shackle and a 1 in. x 8 ft. tree trunk protector and tool bag. 

View full post
    • By ATVNetwork
      Finding the right winch for your ATV is pretty easy if you know what you are looking for, but if you don't, it can be pretty challenging. What differentiates winches from one another can can mean the difference of getting unstuck or staying stuck. QuadBoss winches start at 2500lb and go up to 5000lb, with the option if wire cable or rope. Our recommendation is to go with the rope as it's easy to work with and it won't develop the burrs that can occur on steel cable, making it safer to handle without gloves, although careless use will cause knots. QuadBoss offers their winches with Dyneema Rope in the models below:
      QuadBoss 2500lb Winch with Dyneema Rope RP25WS - $186.58 on Amazon
      QuadBoss 3500lb Winch with Dyneema Rope RP35WS - $193.74 on Amazon
      Quadboss 5000lb Winch with Dyneema Rope RP5000SR - $257.57 on Amazon

If you chose to go with wire cable, here are your choices:
      QuadBoss 2500lb Winch with Wire Cable RP25WC - $166.12 on Amazon
      QuadBoss 3500lb Winch with Wire Cable RP35WC - $173.28 on Amazon
      Quadboss 5000lb Winch with Wire Cable Rp5000qb - $229.91 on Amazon

QUADBOSS 2500lb and 3500lb winches feature:
      2 Stage planetary gear system for fast line speed Low electric current Aluminum engagement lever Automatic load-holding self locking brake Power in & power out Free spooling Sealed & Water Resistant ¼" safety hook  Handlebar mounted switch Roller fairlead 3Hp, 3.5Hp,  heavy duty electric permanent magnetic motor 39' x 3/16" aircraft cable Wire Cable or Grey Dyneema® rope - Rated line to pull 2500lbs QuadBoss model specific mount kits and accessories sold separately One Year Limited Warranty  
      QUADBOSS 5000lb winches feature:
      Wireless and handheld remote controls included Sealed and water-resistant Automatic load: holding self-locking brake Low electric current Free-spooling Three-stage, metal-planetary gear system for fast line speed Aluminum engagement lever Includes 50 ft. wire cable or 50 ft. synthetic Dyneema® rope One-year limited warranty  

Don't forget to get your self a QuadBoss Winch Accessory Kit! The QuadBoss Winch Accessory Kit comes complete with a snatch block capable of handling up to 8,000 lbs. as well as a 1/2 in. D-shackle and a 1 in. x 8 ft. tree trunk protector and tool bag. 

• By ATVNetwork
      Can you really double the pulling power of your regular winch? Over the years I have discovered methods that might surprise you by how much they can increase the pulling power of your ATV winch. Following these simple tips might be the difference of getting out of a sticky situation and waiting for help.

Battery
      The best solution is preparation. Get a good quality battery and maintain it. The largest your ATV can take with the most “Cold Cranking Amps” will give you the best initial pull. If your at maximum pull and your battery is struggling to provide power, keep the engine running and give the throttle a little gas to help the battery. I haven´t needed to in the past, but some guys install a second heavy duty battery dedicated for recovery. I prefer to go without the extra weight.

Snatch block and Cable
      Use a snatch block to double the line. These things can single-handedly double your direct pulling power and assist in pulling from angles if need be. You will notice the pulling speed is slower, but don´t worry, the extra power you can squeeze out of your winch can be worth the wait in certain situations. The use of a snatch block also means for close pulls you can reach the ideal length of cable for the pull. One layer of cable (5 rolls) wrapped on the drum will pull securely and at maximum power. Winches are rated for their pull strength at this amount of cable on the drum. The angle of the cable leaving the drum should be perpendicular as well. If the cable is at an angle, the winch will not be working at capacity.

Pulling methods
      Creating the path of least resistance will also dramatically increase the pulling power of your winch. Always angle the front tires of the stuck ATV in the direction of the pull. If possible, the stuck ATV should be driven towards the direction of the pull, but only at moderate throttle and start slow. Let the winch cool and power regenerate after 1.5 minutes of continuous use. Avoid damage and overheating to maintain the power and life of your winch.
      If stuck in snow or mud, dig out around the tires and use twigs, sticks and brush to provide traction. Doing this right the first time might take an extra few minutes, but can save you hours.
      Sam is an ATV enthusiast and updates his adventure website with outdoor tips and articles, including a review on the 4500lb Superwinch winch.