Quantcast

• Join Today, It's Simple and FREE!

As a member, you can post in our forums, upload your photos and videos, use and contribute to our downloads, create your own member page, add your ATV events, and even start your own ATV club to host your own club forum and gallery.  Registration is fast and you can even login with social network accounts to sync your profiles and content.

Aleix_Praire700

TIMING CHAIN Praire 700 4X4 REPLACEMENT

Hello, I'm new in this forum and I'm from Catalonia, so I apologize if my English is not so good.

I have a Kawasaki Praire 700 4x4 form 2004 and I wear it to the mechanic one week ago because I had engine start problems. Those problems are resolved now, but the mechanic told me that few weeks ago, a man from my city who had a Bruteforce 750, had very high problems with the engine because one timig chain came out from their chain tensor.

I try to get information about the chain replacement, but here, in Spain, there are very few models of Kawasaki ATV, and nobody knows so much about them. We told that one possibility is to remove the chain tensor and show how much has been stretched, and if it is in the end of his travel it would mean that the chain must be replaced, but the mechanic is afraid about it because he did the same operation with the case which I had explained before and it ended with bad failure. So he told me that if we remove the chain tensor he want to change all the timig chains and tensors from the both cylinder.

We loock for the material price which we need to replace it and it will cost more or less 500€ (525$), and here we have to add the labor cost: 200€ (210$).

Now, the ATV (from 2004) takes 750 hours, and I don't use it very much, only two or three days a month with a 80km trip, and in summer months I don't use it.

So I ask if somebody could help and advise me if I should change all the engine chains, or if I could drive it more hours with no needing to be worried.

Thank you very much, and sorry for my English.  

Welcome to QUADCRAZY! If the timing chain is stretched you may hear some noise but it never hurts to to take the cover off and inspect for slack. Not sure how hard it is to do. If you replace a chain, always replace the tensioner. I would look at the manual and see what the recommended replacement interval is.

Thank you for your answer Ajmboy.

Nowadays I don't hear any noise from the timing chain, but as I have known these case about one boy from my village who has broken the engine, I am a little bit frightened.

The mechanic said me that he doesn't want to remove the tensioner to show it, because if the chain locks god we will not change anything (it is what he did with my neighbor's ATV which has broken the engine) and if after that success the same he will have to assume all the consequences.

If somebody can help me I will be very grateful

This being a twin cylinder engine it's not all that complicated to time up.  Each cylinder has a chain and a cam shaft at the top of each cylinder.  Remove the side cover to get at the lower part of the chain where i runs around

the crankshaft sprocket (gear) and look for the marks.  Then remove the cover on top of each cylinder and check the marks on the cam shaft.  Turn the engine over until the intake valve opens and closes on each cylinder and when

the piston comes top dead center block it so it doesn't move then line up the T mark on the top gear and then do the same for the other cylinder.  Both pistons will then be timed when the pistons come to the top.  Check both tensioners at the same time and make sure there isn't any slack in either of the two chains.  If there is then you may need to invest into buying new parts.  Without knowing anything else in regards to your problem it's hard

to help you out.  A service manual is what you need before doing anything so i attached one for you belonging to a Brute Force 750, the timing procedures are the same as for the 700.

good luck

Kawasaki KVF 750 A-B_1 Brute Force - Service Manual.pdf

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Forum Topics

• 2005 Kaw KUF 650D no start issue

Well I came on here hoping to read a manual about the quad but found that I have to make some posts before that can happen, so here is one.  I work on peoples stuff. Had this well used unit come to me with a no start issue. I found it had fuel  and spark was good but it only had 30 pounds of compression. I put each cylinder to TDC and feed the plug hole with a small amount of air pressure and could hear the escaping air coming out the carb openings. I then checked the valves lash at TDC and found that booth cylinders had 0 lash for the intake valves. I reset the lash to .003 for all the intake valves and reapplied a small amount of air pressure and the leaking of air was gone. I then spent a few hours screwing all the parts I had to take off, back together and then drove it out of the shop. The lash was only 1/4- 1/2 a turn too tight that caused the valve to stay open just enough to make it not start. IMO the heads could use an overhaul some time soon as the valves and seats have become a bit warn. These ATV's just have too much crap stuffed into a small space, I wounder how many fasteners are used to hold 1 ATV together? Later, 

By Freezeman, in Kawasaki ATV Forum

• 0 replies
    • 1997 Kawasaki Bayou 300 2x4 (klf300b) Runs Bad

Hey I have a 97 bayou 300 2x4 (klf300b) that i bought for 1000 last June and sunk another 1000 into it already.  When i went to look at it, the seller had warmed it up before hand (he was riding it when I got there).  it ran good so i bought it and took it home that evening... next morning it wouldn't hardly start.  I discovered the carb was clogged, there was chunks of rust in the fuel valve, the choke lever was missing and other things.  I have since cleaned the carb and replaced the fuel valve and gas lines and cleaned out the gas tank and cap.   Enough background on it, the problem is this:  It floods if i push it past half throttle in 4th and 5th gear even going downhill and shifting correctly.  It also has to idle and warm up when you first start it which is really annoying now that its cold...  It also smokes blue smoke for about 15 seconds when started cold-  does not smoke at all once warm but the exhaust still smells like burnt metal.  A friend told me that it didn't have enough compression.  I also found out that the valves are a common cause for low compression on Kawasakis..  I have never adjusted valves before-  the most I've ever got into a engine was a head gasket on a riding mower so I'm new to this.  My goal is to get this bike running and starting cold like a top-  should i tear down and rebuild the top end?  What should i try first?  I tore the carb apart and rebuilt it and fiddled with the air screw and nothing changed.  I also ordered a compression test kit that should be coming in soon. Ive also considered just selling it for like $500 and taking the hit-  Id rather not sink too much more into this machine..  lol

By JacobSlabach, in Kawasaki ATV Forum

• 236 replies
    • 1994 Yamaha Timberwolf 4x4 Electric Start Problems

I have a 1994 Yamaha Timberwolf 4x4. The electric start button worked fine when i was out hunting in the early hours of Sunday but in the evening all i was getting was a click click click when i pushed the starter button. Pull starting, it fires up no problem. I removed the battery and one of the cells was half empty so i topped it up and charged. Still goes click after i put the battery back in it. Posts are clean too. I heard that the starter brushes can be replaced. Thanx for the help guys. Gary

By bassplayer1972, in Yamaha ATV Forum

• 18 replies
    • Kawasaki Bayou 220 - No Spark

hi all first post just found forum and the manuals / wiring diagram BIG THANK YOU im struggling to find the vin number on my frame? I m told left side of frame , lower, nr. in front of the gear pedal ?? haven't found it yet , is it numbers stamped on the frame or a commission plate ?? main prob. no spark no power to coil , off to study the wiring info I've just found thanks again. tom

By tomlad, in Kawasaki ATV Forum

• 7 replies
    • 1988 Kawasaki Bayou 220 Issues

Evening folks I have a 1988 bayou 220 quad that has a damaged stator and been lying about for a few years. Recently I got the chance of a 1996 bayou 220 that had also been sitting for a few years so I decided I would try and make 1 good bike out of the 2. The 96 frame was rotten so I decided to use my original 88. I swapped the magneto and stator over from the 96 bike but then noticed that the magneto and stator wiring was slightly different so I decided best thing to do would be to change the wiring loom over. Having done this I ran into issues connecting my original run stop switch and push button start. The 96 loon had a connector with 6 wires where as the 88 had a 4 wire connector and a 3 wire connector. I sorted this by making up a conversion harness using the 2 looms but still the push button start would not work. I have now solved this by using some of the spare wires left beside the ignition key connectors and a relay. So now I have the engine turning over with the starter button. But sadly I have no spark. On checking the Cdi unit I have found that I have 6 wires going into the cdi unit but all the wiring diagrams I've seen only show 5 for the 96 model. The extra wire I have is a grey wire which has a loose unattached end beside the ignition switch. Does anyone know where this grey wire needs to be attached.  Thank you to anyone who has read this sorry it's so long but wanted to try and give the full story.

By nwr161282, in Kawasaki ATV Forum

• 1 reply