Quantcast

TIMING CHAIN Praire 700 4X4 REPLACEMENT

Hello, I'm new in this forum and I'm from Catalonia, so I apologize if my English is not so good.

I have a Kawasaki Praire 700 4x4 form 2004 and I wear it to the mechanic one week ago because I had engine start problems. Those problems are resolved now, but the mechanic told me that few weeks ago, a man from my city who had a Bruteforce 750, had very high problems with the engine because one timig chain came out from their chain tensor.

I try to get information about the chain replacement, but here, in Spain, there are very few models of Kawasaki ATV, and nobody knows so much about them. We told that one possibility is to remove the chain tensor and show how much has been stretched, and if it is in the end of his travel it would mean that the chain must be replaced, but the mechanic is afraid about it because he did the same operation with the case which I had explained before and it ended with bad failure. So he told me that if we remove the chain tensor he want to change all the timig chains and tensors from the both cylinder.

We loock for the material price which we need to replace it and it will cost more or less 500€ (525$), and here we have to add the labor cost: 200€ (210$).

Now, the ATV (from 2004) takes 750 hours, and I don't use it very much, only two or three days a month with a 80km trip, and in summer months I don't use it.

So I ask if somebody could help and advise me if I should change all the engine chains, or if I could drive it more hours with no needing to be worried.

Thank you very much, and sorry for my English.  

Thank you for your answer Ajmboy.

Nowadays I don't hear any noise from the timing chain, but as I have known these case about one boy from my village who has broken the engine, I am a little bit frightened.

The mechanic said me that he doesn't want to remove the tensioner to show it, because if the chain locks god we will not change anything (it is what he did with my neighbor's ATV which has broken the engine) and if after that success the same he will have to assume all the consequences.

If somebody can help me I will be very grateful

• 2 months later...

This being a twin cylinder engine it's not all that complicated to time up.  Each cylinder has a chain and a cam shaft at the top of each cylinder.  Remove the side cover to get at the lower part of the chain where i runs around

the crankshaft sprocket (gear) and look for the marks.  Then remove the cover on top of each cylinder and check the marks on the cam shaft.  Turn the engine over until the intake valve opens and closes on each cylinder and when

the piston comes top dead center block it so it doesn't move then line up the T mark on the top gear and then do the same for the other cylinder.  Both pistons will then be timed when the pistons come to the top.  Check both tensioners at the same time and make sure there isn't any slack in either of the two chains.  If there is then you may need to invest into buying new parts.  Without knowing anything else in regards to your problem it's hard

to help you out.  A service manual is what you need before doing anything so i attached one for you belonging to a Brute Force 750, the timing procedures are the same as for the 700.

good luck

Kawasaki KVF 750 A-B_1 Brute Force - Service Manual.pdf