Quantcast

New axle fitment problem?

Hi all, I have a 2004 Sportsman 500 and ordered a rear axle from East Lake Axle to replace the original that had gone bad. Once I had the axle on, I noticed that there was play where the splines attach in the differential, where my original Polaris axle had zero play. By play, I mean I can move the axle shaft laterally and the housing next to the differential moves back and forth. Other than this and the inner CV boot leaking grease after my first test drive, it seems to be a good axle. ☹️

I was able to replace the clamp on the inner boot, but the play just doesn't seem right. Is this play acceptable, or a sign of poor aftermarket part fitment? Any advice would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Shane

Is it  possible the  axle has a  short spline one  one  end  and  a long on the other  and it  has been  installed the wrong way  around?.. There  should be  no  end play in the axle if it  is  installed correctly and the  proper  axle   for the  installation .

49 minutes ago, davefrombc said:

Is it  possible the  axle has a  short spline one  one  end  and  a long on the other  and it  has been  installed the wrong way  around?.. There  should be  no  end play in the axle if it  is  installed correctly and the  proper  axle   for the  installation .

No, it's installed correctly. However, after installing, removing, putting in the old axle, etc., it now seems to be much more 'snug', with little to no play, especially when fully installed (hub, etc.). I was able to use the clamp from the old drive and it seems to be holding. We'll see. I've got a note into East Lake to confirm it is the right axle.

Cheers,

Shane

Shoulda  looked  at  a picture  o your axle  before  I  posted   LOL....  I see your  quad   has  an  IRS rather than   a solid axle  like  my  old  Honda.  I  just watched a video   on removing the  axle  and see  it  is  just slid into  the differential  housing so   it  is the  hub that   keeps  everything in place. It  likely  is the right  one  and play  should  be   pretty much  gone  with everything buttoned up.   My only  experience  with  an axle  similar to that  is  the  drive axles on my  car .. They   are   held in the same way , and there  is  a  little  play withing the  cv  joint  on them  that  I  originally  thought  was a  problem   but it   is a function  of the  joints .