Quantcast

• Join Today, It's Simple and FREE!

As a member, you can post in our forums, upload your photos and videos, use and contribute to our downloads, create your own member page, add your ATV events, and even start your own ATV club to host your own club forum and gallery.  Registration is fast and you can even login with social network accounts to sync your profiles and content.

Paulie420

New poster; Ready to bust into ATVs! Help.

First, I'd like to say howdy from Arizona! Our weather is finally perfect for getting out and enjoying without burning up, and I am ready to enjoy it!

I don't know a lot about the sport of ATVs at all. I do ride street bikes, and own a Harley and a Metric. I recently rented a few ATVs and a Rhino. I am pumped.

I rented a 2006 Rhino, 2006 Honda 400ex, and a 2006 Honda --- Semi-Auto non-sporty ATV. Had electronic shift.

I really had a blast on the Honda 400ex. It seemed fast, nimble, fun, and fairly safe. It didn't feel like TOO much quad.

So - I guess my first questions are what should a smart, hardcore, amateur be looking for in a first ATV? Is the Honda 400ex a good choice? Buy new or used? If used, buy the best I can afford first or get an older junker to start on?

Anyone around Phoenix? Know of Arizona specifics?

Is there a Used Buyers Guide link to send me to??? I wanna get a GOOD ATV.

Ok, too many questions to start. So I'll stop. Your site looks nice, and I hope I get a bunch of feedback!

Rock N Roll!

PAULIE

Paulie, welcome!

Honda 400ex is a good choice.

We have some members from Arizona. Visit the

This link is available to logged in members only. Please login or register to view this link.
and search out United States - Arizona, then click on the member profiles and you can message them.

Happy New Year!

Welcome!!!! There are Several AZ riders on here.....just HUNT THEM DOWN!!!!

And if you really want to go HARD CORE.....Invest in a HARD TAIL.....Trike/ATC/3 wheeler....Then Graduate to a Fully Suspended one.....They wont give you that False sense of Security as a Quad and the KEWL Factor is off the Scale:smile:

Or you can Wimp out like the rest of these Golf Cart Riders and take on the Burden of that Extra Weight and Wheel..

Seriously......I would invest in a USED Whatever,,,,,That way you will not be out TONS of Duckets when you and your family decide its not what you thought it would be...If you have Friends that are Serious about ATVing and know Mechanics,,,Maybe you can take them with you when you look at used....There are a few things that a Trained (in the know) Atver can see that the Newbie cant and it WILL save Potentially Hundreds of Dollars if not a 1K...

Just my Opinion.....

The 400EX is a great machine. Living in Arizona you may want to think about a quad that is liquid-cooled. All the 400s are great. I am a Honda guy for life so it kills me to say that Artic Cat, Kawasaki, and Suzuki all have a 400 that will out perform the 400EX. These other 3 quads are commonly called the "clones". They are all the exact same machine just different plastics. These are all liquid cooled. The only downside to the 400s is you will not keep up with the big boys.(IMO) So if you are looking at a 400, check the other makers.

in my oppinion a 400 ex is an excellent beginners machine and is probally one of if not the most reliable of the 400's out there. i would also buy a good used machine if its your first quad. later on there is alot of updates you can do to a 400 ex to improve power ,perfomance, handling and such. like previously stated go with a water cooled and use engine ice in the cooling system and it should run pretty cool for riding long periods of time.

Again, thanks Desert Hawk for all that info! I am diving into it all as we speak.

Still haven't found a quad yet. Going back and forth between NEWER 2005+ Honda 400 ex's for around $3500 - $4500; Or going a bit older, 2000-2003 for $2000 - $3499...

Anyone know of a good USED QUAD buyers guide? What to look for, tell tail signs of abuse, etc... I don't trust my knowledge of ATVs as enough to make a smart purchase...

I may hire my rental guy to come with me or inspect a quad before I buy it...

Still pumped, still looking - STILL RENTING! Lol. Going out this weekend, but it won't be on MY quad!!!!

Paulie

400 are slow.. if your going to get a 400 get a suzuki z400,

signs of abuse, if it is used, look at tires the wear, if there are alot of new parts, check all the fluids, ride it, if you can't ride it first, don't buy it, just inspect it all over up and down in and out... look in the muffler see how much build up there is, etc..

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Forum Topics

• Street tires

My village has now made golf carts and atv's legal on the street and now that the wife and i can go cruise around i'm considering putting on street tires to save my knobbies. Thinking on the route of saving costs and using car rims i'm sure i will have to get adapters but has anyone had experiences doing this? Down falls? We dont mud or anything and they would be used for summer only.

By redneck999, in General Talk - Anything Goes!

• 4 replies
    • HARLEY DAVIDSON ATV - 4 WHEELER

FOR SALE: $10,800 or best offer.

Custom built Street Legal Harley Davidson 4 Wheeler . 

Answer to your first question ...
      YES, you can drive it anywhere.. on highways.. back roads... neighborhoods.. off road... ANYWHERE ITS LEGAL FOR CARS or 4-Wheelers !

This took a lot of work and effort with many divisions of the transportation dept. and through multiple attorneys advice.

This is one of only two 4 wheelers that are street legal in the U.S.A. (Excluding Montana, parts of Arizona, and New York).

Now for the details. 

Its a 1989 Harley Davidson Frame and Engine.
      The motor is matching numbers to frame and title.
      The motor is 883cc beefed up to 1200cc.

This bike has too many upgrades to list as you can see in the pictures.

Please ask questions if needed.

This bike has been in Dirt Rider Mag and several other places.

There is more than $20,000 in parts and man hours put into this bike.

Additional Upgrades I will be starting this month:
      Turn Signal Relay and Dakota Digital Upgraded Speedometer

This bike has Super Swamper Vampire tires in some pics (THESE ARE NOT STREET LEGAL TIRES) and do not come with bike.

This bike has STI Black Diamond Tires with black STI3 rims in other pics. (THESE ARE DOT APPROVED TIRES AND ARE STREET LEGAL).

This bike also has ROAD Street Tires too.... 

YES 2 SETS OF TIRES !

All 2 sets of tires and rims are included in price.

Top speed is around 100mph-140mph. This thing will move. 

Be the first to own a 4 wheeler on the road and in the woods... 

Please call 812-305-11 nine six I live in Lexington. KY

By h1000101b, in ATV For Sale? Post it here.

• 5 replies
    • Finally a fresh new 400 two stroke motor in a 1995 Polaris scrambler

I bought a 1995 Polaris scrambler 400l 4x4 out from under a pine tree here in northern Maine the only action it seen was a plow truck hit it twice in 9 years when I got it home I tore it down the starter and rewind was full of rusty mud cleaned the carburetor put a new plug 3.2 ounce bc oil gear case oil mustard bottle shot of gas in the cylinder wrapped a rope around the clutch and pulled wow sled motor right got about 20 hours of pure full throttle fun then I buried it in a little place we call fiddlehead run black mud that I swear locked up the tires on a Kawasaki brute and snapped a shaft I flew across the top anyways long story even longer I killed crank bearings complete engine rebuilt in my or I should say my wife's living room it was hard on her now its fleshly installed I ported and polished it new everything inside I want to out drag raptor 700's I hate guys that can't change a plug I want to keep the 4x4 but alot of weight also sprockets what's the best combination and my main jet should I change it and I want to know if I can add a nitrous kit to it does anyone know if it will take down a raptor 700 if not I'm gonna put an xc700 shortblock sled motor in it   

By Bobby Belmain, in Polaris ATV Forum

• 0 replies
    • 2018 Textron Wildcat Sport Service Manual

View File 2018 Textron Wildcat Sport Service Manual 2018 Textron Wildcat Sport Service Manual  Submitter flyinbrian365 Submitted 09/07/2018 Category Textron Off Road UTV  

By flyinbrian365, in Textron Off Road UTV Forum

• 0 replies
    • Arizona...Endless Riding

When Arizona became a State the Federal Government set aside a ton of land to fund education known as State Trust Land endless miles of trails you can ride all over the state. Arizona State Land Department; Arizona State Land Department Add to that The Bureau of Land Managment (BLM) BLM Arizona U.S. Forest Service; USDA Forest Service - Caring for the land and serving people. Arizona State Parks; Arizona State Parks Mountians,Dunes & Desert riding just depends on what you feel like riding ! Here are a few pictures of Arizona :smile: Red Rock area of Sedona Table Mesa area Crown King Box Canyon Snoopy Canyon Along the Mogollon Rim Old Mines Tombstone,AZ & The O.K. Corral The Great Western Trail Runs through Arizona

By Desert-Hawk, in West ATV & Off Road Forum

• 23 replies
  • Similar Tagged Content