Quantcast

New poster; Ready to bust into ATVs! Help.

First, I'd like to say howdy from Arizona! Our weather is finally perfect for getting out and enjoying without burning up, and I am ready to enjoy it!

I don't know a lot about the sport of ATVs at all. I do ride street bikes, and own a Harley and a Metric. I recently rented a few ATVs and a Rhino. I am pumped.

I rented a 2006 Rhino, 2006 Honda 400ex, and a 2006 Honda --- Semi-Auto non-sporty ATV. Had electronic shift.

I really had a blast on the Honda 400ex. It seemed fast, nimble, fun, and fairly safe. It didn't feel like TOO much quad.

So - I guess my first questions are what should a smart, hardcore, amateur be looking for in a first ATV? Is the Honda 400ex a good choice? Buy new or used? If used, buy the best I can afford first or get an older junker to start on?

Anyone around Phoenix? Know of Arizona specifics?

Is there a Used Buyers Guide link to send me to??? I wanna get a GOOD ATV.

Ok, too many questions to start. So I'll stop. Your site looks nice, and I hope I get a bunch of feedback!

Rock N Roll!

PAULIE

Welcome!!!! There are Several AZ riders on here.....just HUNT THEM DOWN!!!!

And if you really want to go HARD CORE.....Invest in a HARD TAIL.....Trike/ATC/3 wheeler....Then Graduate to a Fully Suspended one.....They wont give you that False sense of Security as a Quad and the KEWL Factor is off the Scale:smile:

Or you can Wimp out like the rest of these Golf Cart Riders and take on the Burden of that Extra Weight and Wheel..

Seriously......I would invest in a USED Whatever,,,,,That way you will not be out TONS of Duckets when you and your family decide its not what you thought it would be...If you have Friends that are Serious about ATVing and know Mechanics,,,Maybe you can take them with you when you look at used....There are a few things that a Trained (in the know) Atver can see that the Newbie cant and it WILL save Potentially Hundreds of Dollars if not a 1K...

Just my Opinion.....

The 400EX is a great machine. Living in Arizona you may want to think about a quad that is liquid-cooled. All the 400s are great. I am a Honda guy for life so it kills me to say that Artic Cat, Kawasaki, and Suzuki all have a 400 that will out perform the 400EX. These other 3 quads are commonly called the "clones". They are all the exact same machine just different plastics. These are all liquid cooled. The only downside to the 400s is you will not keep up with the big boys.(IMO) So if you are looking at a 400, check the other makers.

in my oppinion a 400 ex is an excellent beginners machine and is probally one of if not the most reliable of the 400's out there. i would also buy a good used machine if its your first quad. later on there is alot of updates you can do to a 400 ex to improve power ,perfomance, handling and such. like previously stated go with a water cooled and use engine ice in the cooling system and it should run pretty cool for riding long periods of time.

Again, thanks Desert Hawk for all that info! I am diving into it all as we speak.

Still haven't found a quad yet. Going back and forth between NEWER 2005+ Honda 400 ex's for around $3500 - $4500; Or going a bit older, 2000-2003 for $2000 - $3499...

Anyone know of a good USED QUAD buyers guide? What to look for, tell tail signs of abuse, etc... I don't trust my knowledge of ATVs as enough to make a smart purchase...

I may hire my rental guy to come with me or inspect a quad before I buy it...

Still pumped, still looking - STILL RENTING! Lol. Going out this weekend, but it won't be on MY quad!!!!

Paulie