Quantcast

2005 suzuki vinson 500

Adam Plogger

I have a 2005 suzuki vinson 500 LTF500F. I can not get it to start and stay running. cleaned carb, rebuilt carb, cleaned and blew through all ports with air gun. Only way to get it to half way start and run is to put hand over hole on air box and then it starts and will run for a couple seconds until it sucks the intake tube SHUT! You then can hear it sounding like a air leak after it stall out until the intake is back to normal. Anybody have any ideas?

check for an  air leak  between the  carb and the  engine ..   Double  check  the  carb  again..  Float height ? ..  a  passage or  jet  blocked  that  you  missed ? ... Sounds to  me  it  is not  getting  gas  or  it  is extremely  lean   unless  you  manually  choke  it  by  blocking the  intake. Try  turning  the  idle  air  screw  in  until  it  just seats  and then  back  out  about  1  1/2 to  2  turns initially. Does  it  run  if  you  only  half to  3/4  block   the  intake?  Completely  blocked it  can  only  run  momentarily   until  it  no longer is  getting  any  air through the  carb. 

Thanks Dave for replying to my post start with, but yes that's the only way it will run by blocking the intake tube until it starts and then very slowly pull your hand back just until the intake tube starts to not collapse anything. I've checked float height before I rebuilt it and then matched it to that, so it should be close. I'm really leaning tore having a vacuum leak but not sure where at this point. I will mess with the idle air screw some this evening and get back to you 

I'd double  check  all  the  jets and passages too.  I  did  a search  on  your  carb  and see  there  is what appears to  be  a stiff  rubber  part  between the  block  and  carb.  It  could be  cracked..   I  saw in another  forum  that the  floats actually  have two  tabs to  adjust them . One  sets the float  height (  I  believe it  said 13  mm),  and the  other limits the  amount it  can  drop controlling  how  fast  the fuel  can  enter the  bowl .. Since the  high  speed  juts  are  fed  from   the bottom  of the  flaot  bowl  ,choking  the  carb the  way  you  do  could  put   vacuum  pressure into the  bowl  and  pulling  fuel  up  from  an  inadequately  filled one.  I  found a  video  on rebuilding  the  carb.   I  don't know  it  it  will  help  you, but  I'm  posting the  link.  In  similar  carbs  I've  worked on,  I  have  found some  very  small  holes  in the    long  jet   that     can  be  blocked  and  not easily  noticed.   Make  sure  you  remove the  jests  and check  closely   for missed  blockages . Welders  "tip  cleaners"   have  a  variety  of wire  sizes  that  fit  for  cleaning pretty  much every  jet.

One thing about being  retired ..   The  pay  may not be so  good  but  I  have  lots of time  to  play  on the  pc and with  my  toys.

Growing up   on  a  hobby  farm,  then  living in the  north  and working as a  millwright, messing with  mechanical  and electrical /  electronic things  all  my  life  I've  learned  a fair  bit of  how  things work..  I  can  very  seldom  answer  specific questions  in   the  forum ,  but  I   can  often   offer  clues on where to  look.  Being  able  to  search   things  out on the  net  is  a huge  bonus in  looking for solutions . 

Ok..... cleaned the carb good and adjusted the air/fuel screw and tried it. It idles pretty good but I did find some rust in the tank from the fuel cap, gonna drain the tank and wash it out and put new gas in it and try to see what happens. So , for now it's possibly fixed . Didn't let it run long so it wouldn't suck the rust in the carb. Will know for sure tomorrow

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk