Quantcast

• Do you own an ATV? Join our Forum!

As a member, you can post in our forums, upload your photos and videos, use and contribute to our downloads, create your own member page, add your ATV events, and even start your own ATV club to host your own club forum and gallery.  Registration is fast and you can even login with social network accounts to sync your profiles and content.

06kodiak450

2006 Yamaha Kodiak 450 won’t start

I turn the key on and the dash lights up, the head lights work... I push the button to start and nothing happens, no click/crank, no noise at all. It will pull start, I can jump start it from the battery to the starter, and I replaced the starter relay. IWhat could it be??? 

Oh , and it is in Park,and I tried the kill switch several times in both positions, that does make a faint click, and sounds like it’s working

Edited by 06kodiak450

If you can jump the starter then the starter is working. Cranking from the push button is not, so it could be the neutral safety switch or the ignition switch possibly, assuming your relay is good. Does the push button work if you hold down the hand brake? Have you tried starting in neutral?

* Topic moved to Yamaha forum

I tried to starting in neutral while holding the brakes, and I replaced my starter relay. Still nothing, no clicking/clanking/turning. What could it be?

On 5/8/2018 at 10:44 PM, Ajmboy said:

If you can jump the starter then the starter is working. Cranking from the push button is not, so it could be the neutral safety switch or the ignition switch possibly, assuming your relay is good. Does the push button work if you hold down the hand brake? Have you tried starting in neutral?

* Topic moved to Yamaha forum

I tried to starting in neutral while holding the brakes, and I replaced my starter relay. Still nothing, no clicking/clanking/turning. What could it be?

Put it into gear, not neutral, and hold down the hand brake. Does it start?

* Cleaned up topic title and added full ATV info.

On 5/11/2018 at 7:05 PM, Ajmboy said:

Put it into gear, not neutral, and hold down the hand brake. Does it start?

* Cleaned up topic title and added full ATV info.

No it doesn’t start in gear, neutral, park with or with out hand brake

What throws it off here is that you jumped the starter and it engages and you replaced the relay/solenoid. Did you jump it at the relay/solenoid you replaced or down at the starter? Was it under the seat? Fuses all good?

I'm also assuming your battery is fully charged and you have good connections everywhere with your wiring, grounds, etc.

10 minutes ago, Ajmboy said:

What throws it off here is that you jumped the starter and it engages and you replaced the relay/solenoid. Did you jump it at the relay/solenoid you replaced or down at the starter? Was it under the seat? Fuses all good?

I'm also assuming your battery is fully charged and you have good connections everywhere with your wiring, grounds, etc.

I jumped it from the starter. Yes the relay was under the seat, fuses are good.battery charged, and everything seems to work as it should except the start button when pushed. Nothing happens, and everything looks solid and good ground

It might be the switch or an issue with the wiring. Do you have a manual with a wiring diagram? Here's one for a 2005, should be similar. There is a diagram. I believe its the push button switch to the ignition fuse, then to the relay and then to the starter. 

Look at the diagram in the electrical section

image.thumb.png.41e4ea1c5c1b557830a8895708379617.png

I went out it took apart the pushbutton housing, While I had it off the bar I pushed the button to see if there was something shorting out or some wires unconnected, as I pushed it, it fired up. Put it back together seems to be working like it’s supposed to. do you think I should replace the switch ?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 06kodiak450 said:

I went out it took apart the pushbutton housing, While I had it off the bar I pushed the button to see if there was something shorting out or some wires unconnected, as I pushed it, it fired up. Put it back together seems to be working like it’s supposed to. do you think I should replace the switch ?

Glad you found it! That's up to you, I would probably replace it but first take a look at a parts schematic somewhere like https://www.yamahapartshouse.com

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.