Quantcast

• Do you own an ATV? Join our Forum!

As a member, you can post in our forums, upload your photos and videos, use and contribute to our downloads, create your own member page, add your ATV events, and even start your own ATV club to host your own club forum and gallery.  Registration is fast and you can even login with social network accounts to sync your profiles and content.

Samuel Jerome Morris

Sputtering and backfire on a 03 Kawasaki 360 Prairie

I bought a 360 prairie that was having a problem with a backfire through the carb . The thing is making me crazy ! I have changed plugs , coil ,cleaned the fuel tank , rebuilt the carb 2 times and tried another on it that ran fine , checked the valves and finally changed the head thinking it might be a valve because when I got it it had a bad intake boot which I changed . Nothing has helped so far . Anyone have any ideas other than a gallon of gas and a match lol .

run it for a bit and remove the spark plug and describe exactly what color the spark plug tip is.  This to me sounds like the carb jets and air/fuel mixture settings are just out whack

Sputter and backfire usually means that its running too lean. It may have the wrong size jets in it but probably not. If you ran it with another carb and it ran fine it sounds like there may still be some trash in the main jets. Did you use a torch file on the jets when you cleaned it out? What kind of carb does it have? Does it have a butterfly or a piston type? If it has the butterfly type the main jet is partially blocked. If its the piston type then there is a needle that travels up and down in a sleeve with different size holes up and down the sleeve allowing more gas to get pulled through the higher the needle is. You can rebuild the carb as many times as you want but if you don't run a file through the jets you'll never get them clear and it'll still run like crap.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Topics

• By AKMichael
      Hello All,
      I have a 1999 Yamaha Big Bear 350 4x4 trying to get fixed up so my grandson can go out in the woods with me.
      We have owned it over 10 years.  It got harder to start, until it finally would not.  Replaced the carb.  Right afterwards, it started and ran nicely, but after turning it off, would not restart.  Tonight I used starting fluid and ran, then died.  Adjusted the idle up a little, used more starting fluid and ran great.  It idled about 15 minutes.  Turned it off, and restarted.  Ran it around the yard about 5 minutes.  Turned it off, and would not restart.
      Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
      Thank you. 
    • By Ed Morris
      I have a 2001 Quadmaster. Bought it from the original Owner. Its in Excellent condition for a 2001. The guy said there was a carb problem when I bought it. It seems like it is not getting fuel. I took off the tank, cleaned it, replaced the gas with fresh Gas, Installed a New Gas Valve. Then rebuilt the carb with a Carb Kit. Started it up and same damn thing, seems like its starving for gas. It will also backfire out the exhaust while trying to accelerate. Now the weird part. I started it the other day and it ran great. We went for a ride and it ran as if nothing was wrong with it. Started it the next day and back to running crappy again. I was like WTF !!! ... Anyone have any ideas of what the problem could be?
    • By SirMaxwell
      Any luck with manuals?

I need a carb in the owrst way and am have gone down a lot of rabbit holes (over 90 tabs and counting). Factory calls for a Mikuni BST34/1 (I think, but need to check manual). I don't care what or who makes the carb, just need a basic reliable carb. No Racing etc, just puttering. I currently only have the cable with the round slide attached.
      Don't care if its round if I know what other parts to get to  make it all function.

Thanks for help, and listening, gonna go chase more rabbits I guess.

Max
    • By Edgar5656
      Looking for a carb for 87 moto4 200. Just bought the machine and it’s got a Chinese one that’s not working right even after I cleaned it out. Looking for the original mikuni vm22sf. 
    • By Ailll1
      I’m working on a Kawasaki Bayou KLF400 for a family member that doesn’t have spark. I’ve already replace the ignition switch and the stator which were defective. The stator had a melted connector and one of the phase had low resistance and low VAC output. 
      What I’ve figured out so far is that I’m not getting 12V to the ignition coil when I turn the key to the ON position. From what I understand, the 12V should come from the CDI. I’ve resistance tested both wires going from the CDI to the ignition coil (Green/white and black/yellow). They are fine. The only 12V coming from the ECU is on the yellow/red wire.
      I don’t have the wiring diagram for the 400 but I’m working with the one for the Bayou 300 which looks pretty similar except for the wire color between the CDI and ignition coil. On the 300 diagram, the yellow/red wire goes to the ignition coil, not the black/yellow… All the other wires color match except for this one. Not sure if that’s normal?
      Thanks!