dirtdevil96

Can anyone help me with jetting?

I just installed a new full system exhaust and a K&N filter on my '07 Arctic Cat DVX400.It uses a Mikuni brand carb.I installed the recommended 150 main jet before I started it.(Stock is 130)I started the engine and the head pipe turned orange hot.Is this a sign of too rich?Should I go to a lower size main jet or is there another adjustment/jet that needs changed?

•  Like what you are reading? Please help us by sharing this content.

actaually for most aftermarket exhaust on 4 strokes the head pipe will turn cherry red...ive heard this b4 not a big dealsigns of running rich or lean will be backfiring...

rich will backfire out the exhaust pipe and lean will backfire out of the carb/airbox...hope that helps.. if your bike isnt backfiring id say your fine...

btw when did you notice it was glowing was it juring the day or at night?

I think I found out why it's turning colors.I didn't adjust the fuel mixture screw.On my quad;there's a cap I have to remove(damn you EPA lol)to be able to access the mixture screw.I was told by the exhaust manufacturer that I would only have to rejet the main(they never said anything about the mix screw).I sent a message to Dynojet and they said to get the most power I need to change the needle also.They've been MUCH more helpful than the manufacturer(they even have a Q&A forum-what a waste of my time that was!!).So I think I'm gonna order the Dynojet kit and maybe a couple more things while I'm at it.Thanks to all who replied...

You guys can Feel free to take it to the G-Spot or keep it in PM's if you feel the need to go any Further.....Ive Closed the thread For Clean up.....

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By OmarTrx450er-09
      MY trx has some mods like an full exhaust air filter and an oil filter my lid is on i bought a dyno jet kit stage 2 i read the instructions and changed the main jet supposibly but i didnt change any fuel needel on pilot jet when i turn on the bike its starts immidiatly but starts poopin and crackin on 5th gear when i go fast >>>?? why ...i feel like the bike should get some moore airshould i remove the lid or what??
    • By marioweldinginc
      I know Im detuning but its getting annoying riding with an open airbox. I ordered a closed lid cuz sucking in water is not fun. I have the chain drive apart and im waiting for my 13t front sprocket to come in. That should make up for any torque loss with the closed box right?
      My questions are, while I have the carb apart for its winter cleaning do I have to rejet for the closed lid? It already has a Dynojet stage 2 kit in it. Also should I go back to the colder spark plug (DPR8Z). In there already is a DPR9Z
    • By predrider305
      I was looking into learning how to jet a carb since it seems to be a very important part of the atv world! Found a few good pages about jetting and have a question. How would I increase the jet size on a pilot or a main jet? Would I have to buy new jets or is there a certain procedure to do so on the stock jets? Thanks.
      P.s: try to lean any replies towards a beginners point of view
    • By KFx400jim
      I have a 2004 KFX. I am throwing a white bros rd4 slip on for now. I know about the company already lol. I just got a screaming deal on it. My question is this:
      From stock, how many jet sizes should I go up to get this thing to run correctly? Everything else is stock, engine wise at least.
    • By kfx450r
      Weather starting to get colder..I now hear a single pop when I rev the bike up in idle. And excessive popping on deceleration. Can anyone suggest something for me? I have a 175 main, sparks needle, 2 and a half turns on a/f screw with a 42 pilot