Quantcast

• Join Today, It's Simple and FREE!

As a member, you can post in our forums, upload your photos and videos, use and contribute to our downloads, create your own member page, add your ATV events, and even start your own ATV club to host your own club forum and gallery.  Registration is fast and you can even login with social network accounts to sync your profiles and content.

dirtdevil96

Can anyone help me with jetting?

I just installed a new full system exhaust and a K&N filter on my '07 Arctic Cat DVX400.It uses a Mikuni brand carb.I installed the recommended 150 main jet before I started it.(Stock is 130)I started the engine and the head pipe turned orange hot.Is this a sign of too rich?Should I go to a lower size main jet or is there another adjustment/jet that needs changed?

actaually for most aftermarket exhaust on 4 strokes the head pipe will turn cherry red...ive heard this b4 not a big dealsigns of running rich or lean will be backfiring...

rich will backfire out the exhaust pipe and lean will backfire out of the carb/airbox...hope that helps.. if your bike isnt backfiring id say your fine...

I think I found out why it's turning colors.I didn't adjust the fuel mixture screw.On my quad;there's a cap I have to remove(damn you EPA lol)to be able to access the mixture screw.I was told by the exhaust manufacturer that I would only have to rejet the main(they never said anything about the mix screw).I sent a message to Dynojet and they said to get the most power I need to change the needle also.They've been MUCH more helpful than the manufacturer(they even have a Q&A forum-what a waste of my time that was!!).So I think I'm gonna order the Dynojet kit and maybe a couple more things while I'm at it.Thanks to all who replied...

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Forum Topics

• YFM250 carb problems not running right

I have a yamaha beartracker 250 (yfm250) its not running right. starts fine mostly ...idles but if i give it gas it boggs out and dies before it even can carry its self ... I cleaned the carb ... put everything back and same issue. so i bought a new carb and intake boot.... replaced both things and still the issue persists.  So i have a new carb .... does the Air fuel mixture need to be set on the new carb? If so how do i do that? i ave looked everywhere for details on my bike and carb but cannot find anywhere that reads that the skrew needs to be adjusted out to  7 full turns or somthing to that effect..   The bike ran fine until bad gas was put into it... i did remove and empty the gas tank. removed petcock cleaned and rebuilt that..... i also noticed that the new carb ....the bottom skrew for draining the bowl was closed all the way when i got it.. carb wouldnt get gas until i loosened it... now the bowl will drain ... i thought that that float stops this from happeneing....am i wrong?      

By Austin Phillips, in General ATV Discussion

• 2 replies
    • 1990 Suzuki LT 4wd need help running issue

my atv will start right up will idle fine soon as i try to throttle up engine dies,i have changed gas,new fuel pump and lines great compression 188 lbs.new coil new spark plug adjusted valves dont know what to do also rebuilt carb,any help wanted

By joseph, in Suzuki ATV Forum

• 34 replies
    • 2001 Quadrunner 500 Running Problems

Hi all, Picked this bike up about a month ago, and started doing some work on it. I ordered a carb kit from China, but got tired of waiting for it so I went to the bike shop today and picked up a Shindy rebuild kit. Took the carb out of soak, it has been in there for a month, blew all the ports out, cleaned what I could with a guitar string, used air as best I could to make sure everything was clear. After I was satisfied the body was clean I out the kit in it. Got the floats set to 13mm as per the manual (well 12.87 on one side and 12.92 on the other, so close), set the pilot to a little less than 2 1/2 turns out (manual says 2 3/8 turns). Put everything back together and tried to start it, it started and had a week idle. I tried adjusting the idle screw and as soon as I turned it the bike died. Backed it out and tried again, same result. Left it backed out, started it again and gave it some throttle. As soon as the throttle is touch the bike dies. Changed the spark plug for a new one and checked the spark, good and really strong. I am thinking that I have a bad petcock and am not getting enough fuel to the carburetor. So when I press the throttle I am increasing air but starving for fuel, bike can't run on air alone so it dies. Does this line of thinking make sense? I am gearing up a bottle with a fuel line in it, so I can try gravity feeding fuel to the carb, just have to wait for the silicone to dry so won't be able to test till tomorrow.  If it turns out to be a bad fuel valve, I will most likely just replace it with a universal one. If I go this route, what do I need to do with the breather line off the carburetor that used to go to the OEM petcock? Block it off or leave it open? Any help, answers or other ideas of things to check would be greatly appreciated. I have a fishing trip at the end of the month and would love to have my bike running by then. 

By Coyote251, in Suzuki ATV Forum

• 11 replies
    • How to Remove Exhaust From a Yamaha Grizzly

Her is a educational video on how to remove a Exhaust on a grizzly!  

By YamahaGrizzly, in Yamaha ATV Forum

• 3 replies
    • Sputtering and backfire on a 03 Kawasaki 360 Prairie

I bought a 360 prairie that was having a problem with a backfire through the carb . The thing is making me crazy ! I have changed plugs , coil ,cleaned the fuel tank , rebuilt the carb 2 times and tried another on it that ran fine , checked the valves and finally changed the head thinking it might be a valve because when I got it it had a bad intake boot which I changed . Nothing has helped so far . Anyone have any ideas other than a gallon of gas and a match lol .

By Samuel Jerome Morris, in General ATV Discussion

• 3 replies
  • Similar Tagged Content

• By Thumpinhard25
      First thanks for any help guys, new to the forums and it's gotten me this far. I bought a 2001 bear tracker 250 for my family to get around the dirt bikes races. It wasn't running right and had a high idle. Previous owner thought it was a carb problem, so he ordered a new Zoom carb and new intake boot, but it still had the same high idle. ( I believe he had the throttle cable adjusted wrong, because it idled fine when I put it back together) So I tore down and cleaned the stock carb, and it started up and idled fine, but needed to have the choke 1/2 out to run.  I swapped to the new zoom carb and had the same issue. Choke half out bike ran ok. I played with the needle and the pilot screw with no change. ( bike did seem to be running rich though, but didn't get better when I tightened pilot screw or raised meddle) I Took it to the races and once I started bouncing around in the cattle fields the quad started cutting out real bad. It would barely run.  Sometimes it would run with choke off, sometimes choke 1/2, sometime choke full. I cleaned carb again, checked float level, and boots, no change still wouldn't run. Then suddenly it started running ok again.  This makes me believe it's an electrical issue rather then carb. I know there's no air leak, it's been checked, both carbs are clean( I've swapped them out a couple times, it starts up immediately and usually idles fine. But then bogs down/ or stutters under throttle. I saw the post on the guy who disconnected his rectifier and reconnected and suddenly it started working again, which lead me to believe it may be electrical and not carb.  So any advice on what I should check? Any way to test the CDI or rectifier?  Once again, I appreciate your help.  
    • By OmarTrx450er-09
      MY trx has some mods like an full exhaust air filter and an oil filter my lid is on i bought a dyno jet kit stage 2 i read the instructions and changed the main jet supposibly but i didnt change any fuel needel on pilot jet when i turn on the bike its starts immidiatly but starts poopin and crackin on 5th gear when i go fast >>>?? why ...i feel like the bike should get some moore airshould i remove the lid or what??
    • By marioweldinginc
      I know Im detuning but its getting annoying riding with an open airbox. I ordered a closed lid cuz sucking in water is not fun. I have the chain drive apart and im waiting for my 13t front sprocket to come in. That should make up for any torque loss with the closed box right?
      My questions are, while I have the carb apart for its winter cleaning do I have to rejet for the closed lid? It already has a Dynojet stage 2 kit in it. Also should I go back to the colder spark plug (DPR8Z). In there already is a DPR9Z
    • By predrider305
      I was looking into learning how to jet a carb since it seems to be a very important part of the atv world! Found a few good pages about jetting and have a question. How would I increase the jet size on a pilot or a main jet? Would I have to buy new jets or is there a certain procedure to do so on the stock jets? Thanks.
      P.s: try to lean any replies towards a beginners point of view
    • By KFx400jim
      I have a 2004 KFX. I am throwing a white bros rd4 slip on for now. I know about the company already lol. I just got a screaming deal on it. My question is this:
      From stock, how many jet sizes should I go up to get this thing to run correctly? Everything else is stock, engine wise at least.