Quantcast

2014 Sportsman 400 hard to shift

That is a 67 RS that I built with my son in our garage. It was an awesome experience. Shifting is very hard to move out of park. I just bought this ATV from a person my wife works with. They gave me a folder with receipts for service from the Polaris dealer. They never had any issues just did routine maintenance. It has 252 hours on it. Do you think I should change fluids?

I have tried rocking it and it does make coming out of park easier. It just feels like linkage is out of adjustment or bent. May just be me not being used to the shifter yet. It runs great and all fluids look clean and don't smell burnt or anything. I was just looking to buy replacement fluids on amazon. They sell the Polaris oil change kit and other fluids. What do  you recommend about places to buy fluids and should I look at synthetics or stay with Polaris recommended.

• 4 weeks later...

2013 550 xp, was hard to shift from new. I use Mopar atf+ 4, and motorkote hyper lubricant , Shifts like butter trans stays cool.

Also use in rear diff  and engine. Rear  diff was always  very warm. Now  with aditive stays cooler to touch .

I found ATF+4 to be the  best after  many other  fluid trials. And even without motorkote, was slick  shift.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Forum Topics

• By Spritee1
      having an issue with the unit when running under a load up a hill or in high gear, seems like the belt is slipping, there is a clapping sound coming from the primary clutch like it releases and snaps back in. i don't think I should have a noise like that. this is a friends unit and he has already replaced the primary twice with the same result.
      not sure where to look next
    • By newguy024
      Just got into ATV riding just last week, never had much money so i couldnt afford to buy anthing, so now at the age of 34 i just bought a 1987 suzuki quadrunner 300 for 500$ took it out a few times and what a rush of excitement to go through that first mudhole haha!
    • By justent_88
      Hello, im looking for some input on this situation i have. My 94 Mojave has no spark, and i have no idea what it is. Ive replaced/tested the magneto, the pickup coil, cdi, the ignition coil. Even the key and Killswitch. I haven't tested the harness its self, but i have tried another harness and still nothing. The only thing i can think of is the fly wheel itself. I have found a lot of metal shavings in the fly wheel and have cleaned it the best I could. But nothing happened afterwards. I am truly stumped here and hoping some of yous could shed some knowledge/ideas that could help get this thing to fire. 
    • By Johnfj44
      The stock driver seat cushion is separated at a seam. I took the seat apart and found that the material has torn and cannot be re-stiched. I'm trying to find a replacement seat. Any suggestions? Hoping for a used seat but couldn't find one on Ebay.
    • By HSTAR
      Hey I have a 1997 big bear 350 4x4
      I replaced the shifter shaft and the shift arm linkage and the rod when I installed them all I was unaware that you had to line the dot on the shifter shaft with the gap on the linkage arm gap put it all back  together and rode it I can't get it to shift in the right gears  I can move the shift cam by hand and goes in different gears but with the shifter shaft in it riding I can't put it in R or N 
      Anyone know how to line up the shifter shaft and the shift cam s