Quantcast

• Join Today, It's Simple and FREE!

As a member, you can post in our forums, upload your photos and videos, use and contribute to our downloads, create your own member page, add your ATV events, and even start your own ATV club to host your own club forum and gallery.  Registration is fast and you can even login with social network accounts to sync your profiles and content.

LMI

2005 King Quad 700 no start / racing idle

I wanted to share an experience and a fix.

Headed out was following a pole line, was looking for a cross track that may take me to this speckle trout looking spot on a creek.  All paths and semi paths... failed.  Second objective was to reach a speckle trout lake that has been recently stocked... followed 1 trail to dead end, followed second trail to dead end.... while investigating options on foot and the quad idling it died.

It wouldn't start.  eventually it did... and when it did … it was essentially a pinned idle.  activating the throttle did seem to speed it up but it wouldn't knock out of the racing idle.  couldn't put it in gear at that idle speed.  got towed out.

when I first got the quad, I ran it off a trail and buried it pretty good in the soft snow... eventually winched out.  It wouldn't start.  eventually did and it was fast idling.  not as fast as this last time. but still fast.  it eventually seemed to settle and I got it in gear and by the time I was back to the truck was acting ok.  chalked it up to the bike being at a bad angle in the snow.

My investigation last year lead to the throttle position sensor TPS.  how to jumper the diag block to see the sensor position on the display,.  I focused on this nearly sure it was a detuned sensor or broken sensor again this time.

I tore down the front plastic and stuck my head into the TPS area to see what I could see.  What I found was that the throttle body assembly had actually come out of the mounting area (not sure what it is called).  the ring clamp was loose I could move it easily.  Hopeful, I tore down the air intake assembly above it (air filter...etc) removed a sensor clip and a hose.

I backed off the clamp some more and was able to reseat the throttle body assembly.  put some blue lock tite on the clamp screw.  When I was cleaning off the air intake assembly to ensure I dropped nothing down the intake, I noticed the underside of the air intake "box" also had a clamp.  this screw was completely missing.

I went to the hardware store, bought a metric replacement (brought clamp with me), seated the assembly, settled the clamp blue lock tite that as well... 

quad fired right up, idled normal, idled up without hesitation and dropped right back off.  Cost of solution $3.87 CND for a pack of 5 metric screws.  moral of my story was don't assume an idle issue is a throttle position sensor problem... there are a number of other factors including air pressure, which I believe was my issue.

• Like 1

A secondary discovery while reseating the throttle body … the engine was moving around quite a bit.  Too much in my option.  I looked up on you tube a video that could show me where the motor mounts were... I figured they were loose.  what I found was a post of a mod for the motor mount. 

When sitting on the quad on the left side and slight forward of the throttle body (on the frame) … the motor has a pin with a rubber spacer.  there is a circular bracket mounted to the frame that this pin and rubber spacer sit into... when the engine torques, this rubber spacer allows some movement of the engine.

now thinking back to my throttle body … which "wiggled" out of the mount... it the upper air intake assembly is rigid on the frame and the throttle body assembly is mount to this and a moving motor... you can see (loose clamp and missing clamp screw not withstanding) how the throttle body could still wiggle out.

what this mod does is simply places a 1" inner diameter rubber hose over this rubber spacer sitting on the pin with total outside diameter of about 1 1/4 inches (enough to fit inside the circular bracket).

I did that and there is still some minor play but compressible enough to absorb some torque.  the engine moves NO WHERE near as much as it did.

Just to share....

• Like 1

That’s a great find, great share and some good information.  A bit scary out there and she dies like that but hey it is what it is.  Did you have any tools with you ?

I did.  enough to pull the plastic and clamp screws were just a Philips head and had that.  I probably could have fixed it there without even removing the air intake, at least reseat it and tighten clamp.  this is my first mechanized anything.. certainly no gear head  but willing to get dirty where I can noodle over a problem.  I had no idea the cause or where to look even.  since I was with a bud decide to start the tow out.  was plenty of day light left but we were about 6 Km from the trucks with a shallow water crossing... didn't want to waste to much time trying to figure it out there.  Plus was supposed to be a relatively short trip about 10 KM total so was expected to be out and home earlier... towed until cell signal informed of the break down and continued on. I think I really have to get a small metric socket set in my box.  had 2 flat heads, 2 phlips, channel locks, adjustable wrench, spare wire, wire crimps, wire strippers and electrical tape... and a spare gallon of gas.

what do you carry?

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.