Quantcast

• Join Today, It's Simple and FREE!

As a member, you can post in our forums, upload your photos and videos, use and contribute to our downloads, create your own member page, add your ATV events, and even start your own ATV club to host your own club forum and gallery.  Registration is fast and you can even login with social network accounts to sync your profiles and content.

Squirrel

2001 Bayou starting issue - No fuel?

Several months ago, I finally got around to fixing the bayou. Rebuilt the carb, replaced the fuel selector switch, hoses and fuel filter, and she ran great. Only had 2 minor issues since then where, at higher speeds, it acted like it was choking out when I let off the throttle.

Lately I've noticed if I let it go for more than a week, it almost drains the battery dead trying to start. I initially thought battery, but after inspecting I found very little if not any fuel flow through the line until it starts and runs.

I'm a little baffled and don't have much time to mess with it as most my free time right now is spent on getting my rv up and ready for hunting season in the next 3 weeks. So any help on quick diagnosis checks would be helpful. Otherwise I'll just keep starting it every 3-4 days to keep things primed until I'm done hunting.

Oh, and another question on a different topic. Does anybody know what the mounting brackets on the front rack are for? I'm referring to the 2 angled metal tabs with threaded holes that are located on the left, near your knee when sitting on the quad?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Sorry, it's a 2001 Bayou 220. Can't find an Edit option for the post

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Hey squirrel, another member getting ready for hunting season!! That’s great stuff, I’m doing the same.  

I think you have two things going on. One is the carburetor vent may be blocked. I would def take the vent line going to the carb and blow into it to see if it’s clear.  If not then it has to be cleaned.   You can find this hose by tracing the hoses on the carburetor. One will run if I’m not mistaken up someplace in between the gas tank and the seat or down below hanging by the swing arm.  One or the other but it’s the only hose on the carburetor that’s  not connected to anything.   Other then that it’s prob just a simple cleaning of the carburetor and maybe checking the fuel line is clear and flowing properly.

The second thing is something is either draining the battery or the battery has a dead cell and will not hold a charge.   You can test for a drain on the battery I using a test light. Just disconnect the positive terminal and put the test lamp alligator clip on the positive wire and touch the test light probe to the positive terminal on the battery.  If that light comes on then there is a draw on the battery.  Something is staying on that shouldn’t be.  The key has to be in the off position with this test.  

Good luck hunting this year. 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Topics

• By Dra O
      posted a while back - it was running at one point - I have all the plastic shroud off - it's down to frame and engine now
      -fuel pump: when line from petcock is attached, no fuel comes out other side to carb; the line to the carb is open (can blow through it); I thought when I cranked engine that the pump would spit out fuel on other side but it does not; I removed fuel pump and opened it up - diaphragm looks good - but internal areas had lotsa calcification build up - I cleaned this out and dried it good - the clear plastic pieces (?diaphragms) aren't broken - the spring w/ steel ball on end moves freely; am putting it back on tomorrow; but can anyone answer about the pump? isn't it supposed to pump fuel through it... to other side... to carb? puzzling
      -along with fuel pump: I replaced petcock 3 weeks ago (gas tank had rusty fuel in bottom - cleaned it out prior to new petcock); when I turn petcock arrow NOT to on or reserve, fuel comes out of line; when I turn it to on or reserve, fuel doesn't come out; puzzling
      -I don't know what's on back of fuel pump - it's a valve that has a hose coming out of it - looks like it goes to engine/carb - I haven't traced this out yet - what is it?
      -can squirt gas on air filter and engine will run for 2-3 seconds then stop - fuel in top of carb (under diaphragm) does same
      -it likely needs carb rebuild - will get to this - but something isn't allowing fuel to get from fuel pump to carb
      -I THINK it has a mikuni model x carb - diaphragm is ID 26mm  OD 68mm - hard to find inexpensive diaphragm, I guess because it's a model x
      -last thing - I replaced solenoid due to old one clicking; I HAVE to be charging the battery or it won't start/turn over - battery just goes dead; but if charging, it'll turn over nicely; i'm guessing it's a bad battery
      -any help appreciated - I've never owned an ATV before - inherited this beast from grandparent in-law
    • By Daniel Gibson
      Working on a bayou 220 that has been ran extremely hard it's whole life. Literally had almost an inch thick dirt/oil covering the motor. Yeah that bad. Surprisingly it runs though. I cleaned the carb and tank multiple times. They're clean enough to eat off of. Readjusted valve lash and set timing. Was about 3 teeth off. It cranks good and runs good only problem is I have to cover the carb intake basically choking the hell out of it for it to start. The com choke works fine. It does this each time I start it regardless of temperature both ambient or motor. Wth? Compression is at 115psi I get 130s if I put a little oil in the piston chamber. Please help. Thanks 
    • By Dwight Williams
      Hey everyone, I've been scratching my head over this for most of the day.  I bought a couple of Bayou 220's, got them running (they've both been sitting), and started tweaking and fixing small things.  One of them is mostly done, the other had an aftermarket carb on it and I've been trying to sort that out.

Anyway, while adjusting the carb it died a few times, I restarted and moved on until it died and wouldn't restart.  I figured maybe I'd flooded it or something - after further attempts I realized I had no spark.  Since I have two identical machines I have many parts at my disposal.  I've swapped the CDI, spark plug and coil with no luck.  I have good resistance readings from the stator and pick up (135 and 110 respectively),  I don't have a peak voltage meter but I measure around 53VAC on the stator when cranking.  I have a 4 wire stator, not an alternator like the newer ones.  Grounds look good, I've checked the kill switch by verifying that it and the ignition switch grounds the black/yellow wire to the CDI.  I can turn the engine slowly and see the pickup short the meter as well, seems normal right?  So far everything I've checked looks the same on both machines.  I've got the service manual and wiring diagrams.  Do these readings make any sense?  I'm obviously missing something but I'm stumped.  thanks!
    • By Dwight Williams
      Ok, so I bought a 2006 bayou 250 for 200 bucks, kid couldn't start it and had no idea why it wouldn't run, I pulled the rope and felt what I thought was valve to piston contact, he wanted 500 and I talked him down to 200 and brought it home.  Sure enough, timing was way far out, timing chain incredibly loose.  So for fun I re-tensioned the timing chain and re timed it, got about 120lbs of compression, pretty low.  I cannot get the chain very tight but the the tensioner seems to work fine, the chain guides don't look very worn.  Also, when I took the head off the valves don't look bent and the piston has no discernible marks on it.  Is this an interference engine?  I sure thought I felt some contact with the pull rope but maybe no permanent damage was done?  Anyway, I plan on doing a full top end job as well as timing chain tensioners and hopefully that'll cure it.  Is there any reason other than chain stretch (I measured it and it's ok) or guide wear that would cause the chain to be so loose?  Thanks!

• By Mike Johnson
      Does anyone know what the 3rd item is behind the battery on this ATV ? I know 1 is the,  solenoid1 is the CDI box, what is the 3rd.