Quantcast

1989 yamaha moto 4 350 carb issue

Ted Craig

I cleaned the carb and re installed it. All jets and ports were clean. I drained the gas tank of the three year old fuel and put a gallon of fresh in it. It would then fire up and die on choke. I then removed the carb again and found black goo in the pilot. I mad sure all ports were clear and blew all debris out of the bowl. I am now useing a different tank with a filter until wash the other one. I reinstalled carb and it now kinda runs on choke while sputtering. That was after i toggled the accelerator enough to warm it up. As well as toggling the idle. The air fuel screw is at 2 out like it originally was. There is a video included below. 

I don't know why but the video isn't playing when uploaded. 

Nice work so far. Always an old tank to send dirt back into the carburetor!! Always get into the habit of putting an in line filter after an old skunky sitting tank.  Anyway I'm sure you did a great job on the carburetor cleaning.  Did you pull the air fuel screw completely out and clean it good? I assume you used pressure to blow out all ports and jets.  Did you mix the two jets up (main and pilot) some carburetors have the jets threaded alike and will fit in the wrong place. Ive done it before.   I know the air fuel screw was set at 2 turns out and being set there would allow the engine to start but go back to the manual and verify the set point on the screw.  Or go 2-1/2 turns out and see what happens or in 1-1/2 etc.  

Double check your choke is operating properly and was put back together the right way. 

Lastly two things.  
1. make sure your float is set at the right height. It could  be starving for fuel.    

2. you could have done everything right and all this could be caused by a fouled plug. Put a fresh one in. Don't try and clean its not worth it.   

• Like 1

Initially i cleaned the carb in an ultrasonic cleaner. 3year old fould slimey cosmoline was everywhere south of the slide. The needle and seat was stuck and i couldn't get it out. So was the actual needle. The only thing i didn't do was put new parts in the carb. Surprisingly everything cleaned up well. The choke operates fine. The air/fuel screw was good. Thats the only thing i didn't take out when the old tank dumped nasty into the fresh carb. I will check that tomorrow. I also have a good plug setting in the garage for it. Ill try that and the screw tomorrow. I also just ordered a b carb kit. Just in case the diaphragm is cracked. All jets were clear, but the pilot jet is tricky. I had to soak it and take a fine brass wire brush, pull the wire and poke it in the jet, along with compressed air. Still yet its a very tiny hole. It says its a 45. Also, i don't have a manual. Im waiting to download one from here, but idk how or when that will be.

Question: how do you adjust the float height? When i put it back together i made for sure the needle pulls out quite a bit. The only way i could adjust it is bend the tab i guess. 

1. I will check the screw and plug tomorrow.

2. If it doesn't work ill wait on the rebuild kit.

3. Ultrasonic cleaner with half pinsol and water works wonders on carb parts!

Thanks Frank

Also, how do i upload videos? The format from my Iphone must me mest up. It doesn't show the video in the thread.