Quantcast

2004 Yamaha Bear Tracker CDI Problems

Randel1

I'm having a problem getting a CDI unit that works. The parts list calls for a  4XE-85540-00-00 CDI unit. The one currently on the ATV works but there seems to be a problem with the spark advance curve. It will idle fine an rev. to about 1.5K then  starts bogging down sputtering, popping and basically running poorly. If you can get it above 2200 RPM it runs better. I have ordered and returned about 5 replacement modules that will not work at all. The unit currently on the bike has no part numbers or identification other than a Mitisibuchi logo. I am wondering if anyone else has experienced similar problems with replacement CDI's and if so what is the fix? So far I have not found a replacement CDI that will supply an pulse to the Ignition coil.

The symptoms don't really sound like the advance curve. Have you had a timing light on it ?

The five you returned, are you saying they wouldn't even make a spark ? Because that sounds so unlikely that I'd have to suspect you have some other problem. Have you checked the wiring, and the trigger and stator outputs ?

I think I've seen a few instances in here and other places of yamahas having wiring problems up around the steering head.. 

Found out what the problem was with the lean popping and poor running between 1.5K and 2.2K and now it runs fine throughout the RPM range. However I still can not find a CDI other than the one currently on the bike that works.  What's the chances of getting 5 defective new CDI units in a row? I can't find where Yamaha may have changed or modified this unit during production and changed CDI's so I have to assume the 4XE-85540-00-00 is the correct part number. Since there are no identifying part numbers on the good unit that is currently on the bike, I can't verify if it is a 4XE-85540-00-00. Anyone else run into this kind of problem or am I just lucky?