Quantcast

Newbie, 2002 Yamaha Grizzly 660 electrical issue

AgmansGrizzly

Hello everyone,

Im new here, this is my first post and Im trying to figure out how evrything works on this site so I please let me know if Im doing anything wrong.

I have a couple Yamaha's but this post is in regards to my 02 Grizzly 660, I have an electrical draw somewhere that is taking my new battery down rather quickly. I have tried to locate any short by checking each circuit but was not able to locate it that way. Im installing a battery cut off switch which brings me to my first question, dont these switches usually go on the Negative terminal?

My next question is, can anyone tell me if this year and model has any history of electrical shorts that might help me locate the culprit? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Finally, Im looking forward to being a member of this site and hopefully helping others as well as learning some things myself, so greetings to all!

Best wishes to everyone!

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Ajmboy said:

Welcome to quadcrazy! I have a 2004 grizzly 660. Yes I would wire the switch on the negative side.

How old is the battery? I’ve gone through 3 myself because they don’t seem to last after a few years with holding a charge. 

Its a brand new battery, in fact Ive tried 2 new batteries and they both got drawn down within a day or 2. Thank you kindly for the verification on the battery cut off.

Hi. You can't fit a normal clear plastic fuel filter to a fuel injected system, they have about forty pounds of pressure in the line.

I'd be suspecting that your problem's an electrical fault, and an electronic fault to be exact.. So cdi unit or something in the ecu.  The fact it takes a certain amount of time, rather than load or throttle to cause it is what makes me think that, and the fact it takes a few minutes to cool down again. Overheating electronics do that.

That said, there was a case in here the other week with similar symptoms and it turned out to be tight valve clearances.. as the engine gets hot the valves must have been loosing their clearance and holding a valve open.. Perhaps check them before trying a new cdi or ecu... 

Dang... Posted in the wrong thread..  Problems with a slow connection.. Haha

So is the battery going flat while the bikes parked up, or after two days of being used..

I'd be checking the charging system's working.  Put a multi meter on Dc on the battery while it's running and see it's got at least thirteen volts. Then I'd put the gauge to AC and check the power for ripple.. if it has a faulty diode in the regulator there will be some AC showing, and a dud diode could be what's draining the battery.

LOL.   Mech , I'm glad  I'm not the only one to  post in the wrong thread in a group  and cause a  lot of "Huh"s?.

My  guess would be  a bad diode too.  I  couldn't find a schematic  on that quads electronics ,on a  quick search ,  but if a  VOM  is not  handy  he could try  disconnecting the voltage regulator and  then  see if it  still has the drain down  problem  after a few days sitting.

I've got a 2008 Griz 700.  I had the same problem a couple of years ago during an elk hunt.  Turned out the stator fried due to the poor cooling design.  New battery didn't last a day.  Swapped it out and did the 2009 oil system mod and it has been running fine since then.  I don't know if your model year has the same cooling problem or not.  Worth looking into.

Thank you all for the great information, I must admit you got me on the posting ment for someone else. Really had me scratching my head! LOL! I will try what has been suggested and see if I can locate the culprit. I really hate electrical problems because Im colorblind which makes them exponentially harder to deal with!

I forgot to add, the guy I bought my quad from had told me he thought there was a short in the headlights, however, I used my multimeter and tested every circuit individually but could not find a draw on any of them. The battery is new and I usually have it on my battery tender now but if I dont it will drain within about 24 hrs. after being ridden.

I should clarify  my  suggestion to try disconnecting the voltage  regulator too. I  imagine you  know , but  just in case  I'll mention  this,  The  stator for the charging circuit puts out 3 phase AC current, just as a car alternator does.  That  3 phase is rectified to  DC  by 3 diodes and then  regulated to the  nominal 13.2 v to charge the battery.  If any one of those diodes blows , there will be  an  AC ripple on the charging current,and when the motor is  off  the diode will drain current  from the  battery  back to  ground through the stator, easily killing a battery overnight.  In  cars you often  notice the  problem  by a dash light  coming on showing battery  discharge.  Few  quads  have that indicator light so   you have a mystery drain.

A side note ,  Have you tried those glasses they  claim  gives some color blind individuals color vision again? One friend  of  mine  is red / green color blind and installs security systems for a living.  He can  install the connectors  on the cat. 5 cable  without a problem  since he's done it since working with his father  as a child .  He says  he  can tell which  wire is which  by the slight difference  in grey shade of the wires.  He refuses to try the glasses.  I'm  curious whether they  work as advertised  or not .  My color vision  is fine,  it's  just the  print   is an  increasing problem  for me . It seems   the quality  of it  has gone way  down  and  they  are making the instructions on  bottles and pamphlets  much smaller and fuzzier  than  they  did years ago.  Strange how it  clears up  some  with dollar  store reading glasses on these 77 year old eyes   LOL.

Edited by davefrombc

20 hours ago, davefrombc said:

I should clarify  my  suggestion to try disconnecting the voltage  regulator too. I  imagine you  know , but  just in case  I'll mention  this,  The  stator for the charging circuit puts out 3 phase AC current, just as a car alternator does.  That  3 phase is rectified to  DC  by 3 diodes and then  regulated to the  nominal 13.2 v to charge the battery.  If any one of those diodes blows , there will be  an  AC ripple on the charging current,and when the motor is  off  the diode will drain current  from the  battery  back to  ground through the stator, easily killing a battery overnight.  In  cars you often  notice the  problem  by a dash light  coming on showing battery  discharge.  Few  quads  have that indicator light so   you have a mystery drain.

A side note ,  Have you tried those glasses they  claim  gives some color blind individuals color vision again? One friend  of  mine  is red / green color blind and installs security systems for a living.  He can  install the connectors  on the cat. 5 cable  without a problem  since he's done it since working with his father  as a child .  He says  he  can tell which  wire is which  by the slight difference  in grey shade of the wires.  He refuses to try the glasses.  I'm  curious whether they  work as advertised  or not .  My color vision  is fine,  it's  just the  print   is an  increasing problem  for me . It seems   the quality  of it  has gone way  down  and  they  are making the instructions on  bottles and pamphlets  much smaller and fuzzier  than  they  did years ago.  Strange how it  clears up  some  with dollar  store reading glasses on these 77 year old eyes   LOL.

Thanks so much for the info, it is greatly appreciated. In regards to the glasses, I have tried them, however, unfortunately I am more severely colorblind (I am colorblind across more colors and color spectrum) and the glasses are for those who are only colorblind to a couple colors and certain colors, thus they dont work for me. Maybe someday they will have some that will work, ya never know.

• 2 months later...