Quantcast

• Do you own an ATV, UTV or SxS? Join our Community Forum!

QUADCRAZY ATV Community and Forum are FREE to join! We keep our ATV, UTV, and SxS forums clean and user friendly. All first time posters in our forums will have to wait to have their content reviewed and approved. Once your first ten posts are approved, you will no longer need to go through a forum post approval process. To bypass the approval process with immediate access and a NO ADS experience in our ATV, SxS, and UTV forums, consider subsribing to a Premium Membership

Honda timing chain check

Tahj

I just added a 1999 Honda 300 Trx FW to my problems.

Indicator lights work, has spark, carb been cleaned, valves set. Cranks - no start. Is there any way to check the timing chain without pulling the valve cover and looking at the marks on the timing gear.

The timing chain is behind EVERYTHING in the right case.

Tahj

Thank you Mark

I bought it not running, did set the valves and cleaned the carb - still not running.

I have a Yamaha 660 project that I did have to change the chain and cam timing gear along with a bunch of other stuff - it was no fun so I was wondering about the 300. The 300 timing chain looks worse to do.

Seems like I'm not the great mechanic I thought I was.
Rephilracing suggested that I do a compression check. It has no front deck and the gas tank was off, so I took the carb off the engine intake for the compression check

Compression was 150. I had cleaned the spark plug previously and neither time I took the plug out was it wet, couldn't smell fuel in the exhaust either.

I poured a little raw gas into the intake and it started right up. I ordered an Amazon carb to check my theory, then I'll go back and rebuild the original carb properly.

It's nice to know these run with old timing chains, they have a good reputation for toughness.

Once you get it running listen to the timing chain. If it's worn enough to chatter it needs replacing. One thing the 300 doesn't do for long is run with a toasted chain. It'll smack a valve into a piston like it owes it money. Replacing is extremely easy with the top end and side case off. Sounds like you about have it licked though. 

Mark

So much for chinese carburetors. I swapped the carburetors - same stuff different day. I poked the cold weather primer and got fuel back into the airbox when I cranked it.

After long cranking it idled a bit,then quit. I stuffed a rag in the airbox carb inlet and it blew it back out. 

I guess tomorrow I'll take the lid off and see. Not looking forward to going into the clutch case tho. Been busy looking at how to videos on YouTube.

D-Ray Smith has some good videos that don't give you motion sickness. Four Wheeler Doctor is good too. Hand held cell phones are the worst.

Just for fun the starter reduction gear that turns the motor over for timing check - the one that the allen socket is on - goes into the main case so I would have to split the cases to change the shaft to time the engine. Anyone want to buy a parts machine? 
It does have the WARN 242 front shaft on it.

How's your day going?

Original Warn 424 will bring about double original retail. If it's functional it'll bring $500 on the Honda 300 Facebook page. Wide open bought the patent and ceased production a few years ago. Rumor has it wide open will make another run but as of today, they're scarce and worth a fortune.