Quantcast

2006 Polaris Sportsman 500HO 4x4- stalling only when accelerated

Hi All! So, I have this ATV. it ran perfectly fine all up until we took it out after a snow to play. then is started stalling only when i would accelerate. It will run at idle all day long. Any ideas on what to do. I also tried to see if it was going to throw a code and it produced nothing. However, it will occasionally throw the wrench symbol every once in a while. Any help would be appreciated. 

Could be a bit of water in the gas or trash in the throttle body.  I'd drain the tank and refill with fresh non ethanol gas and see if that helps.  Then move on to cleaning the throttle body.  Might also take a look at the plugs, they may just be coincidentally crapping out.

• 7 months later...
Hi All! So, I have this ATV. it ran perfectly fine all up until we took it out after a snow to play. then is started stalling only when i would accelerate. It will run at idle all day long. Any ideas on what to do. I also tried to see if it was going to throw a code and it produced nothing. However, it will occasionally throw the wrench symbol every once in a while. Any help would be appreciated. 
I had this same problem. Check the harness at the tps . My wire was broke at the plug.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Hi. It sounds like a fuel problem. If you throttle off a bit when it starts to die does it recover ? If/when you open the throttle, does it start to die immediately or does it pull for a few seconds before faltering ? How is it when you restart it after it's stalled ?

I don't now about this snow business, but if ethanol fuel freezes or absorbs water from the air in cold weather then do as suggested and change the fuel.

Probably the next easiest thing to do it first of all check that the fuel is flowing to the carby. Take the fuel hose off the carby and put it into a bottle and start the motor and check there is a good full flow of fuel coming through. If there is, then it probably needs the carby working on. Before pulling the carby off and to bits I'd use the drain bung on the bottom of the carby to drain the carby and I'd try to catch the fuel, or watch very carefully for any water coming out. Next I'd take the diaphragm cover off the top of the carby(it can be done in place), lift it and the slide it's attached to out and check the diaphragm doesn't have a tiny hole or tear in it, and at the same time check the needle that hangs down from the slide the diaphragm's attached to can't slide up and down in the slide. If all those things are ok it's probably time to take the carby off and strip and clean it.

Edited by Mech

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Forum Topics

• By mehim
      Hi everyone. 
      Let me explain the thread title. 
      My husband and I are very active in the nudist community, and we have stayed at many and most of the mainstream nudist and clothing optional campgrounds in the USA. We are now approaching our retirement and would like to start a podcast to share those off the road / backwoods / little known camping areas where nudity is allowed. We have purchased a 5th wheel camping trailer with a rear garage for the ATV and now need some good reports on the one to buy. 
      We are most interested in a side by side unit but would love to get your thoughts. 
      Feel free to stop by and say Hi and ask anything you would like to better understand what we are looking for in an offroad unit. 
      Thanks for reading and hope to hear from you. 

• By N00bie
      From Arkansas. Just bought a 2012 Gator 850i RSX because I could not pass up the price. BUT it has an idle problem. So, to be honest, I joined just to get a service manual. I have a choice: 1)Buy a hard copy: ~$100; 2)Buy a CD ~$35.00; Get a direct download for free posting 10 times; or get a download for $29.00 (subscription). Haven't decided what to do yet.
    • By Louznmemind
      Howdy y'all, I'm trying to fix a neighbors 2015 Brute Force 300. Came in with hard to start and won't idle except on choke issue. I pulled the carb and found the pilot jet as well as the emulsion tube partially clogged. Cleaned up everything, put it back together, still having issues...  It will start right up on choke and will also start off choke if you give it just a touch of throttle but it absolutely will not idle unless it's choked just a touch. Also, excuse my ignorance but I'm assuming the "dial" thingy attached to the carb that turns in and out is for setting idle?? 
    • By Its-always-something
      Have a 1998 AC 300 2x4, Just installed a new carburetor. Engine starts easy but the choke RPMs are very hi and take along time (5-10 mins when cold out). After engine has warmed up choke releases and it idles and runs fine., It does no have an electric choke. The choke lever is never used and it seems like an auto choke? Long story short, how can I lower the choke rpm levels?

Also, carb came with a spare145 jet, not 100% sure what is installed. Could this impact choke RPMs?

Any help and information greatly appreciated.
    • By DarkRider
      This is something I'm extremely curious about. Has anyone ever attempted to buy a quad (or any other vehicle) from an impound lot? I've always wondered if this could be a bargain, or a waste of time. Google searches do turn up some helpful results. Looks like the state of NJ holds auctions online which I'd be a bit hesitant about.

My online searches haven't really turned up any results of anyone buying an ATV this way. I'd be really curious if anyone tried this, or knows someone who has. I've actually found a couple pages with online auctions for my state, but none had ATVs.