Quantcast

No spark, continued

Go to solution Solved by ScottCarl,

So, on my 84 TRX200, I've replaced everything except the stator and regulator. New coil, cdi unit, (spark pickup tests good) new sparkplug. No spark. Ohm tested stator on the bench. Book said 0.1 - 1 ohm. I have 3 - 4 ohms. Bad? 

Wiring had been boogered up when we got it. (Key switch bypass) Not sure if related but wiring diagram shows a blue and yellow wire from CDI to the spark pick-up (pulse generator) Not sure what was hooked up there, but CDI unit plug didn't look like a blue and yellow wire was EVER plugged in there. It has one now ;)

I had it running for a few seconds, and then it quit. Been searching for spark ever since. 

Help. TIA, Scott! 

• 1 month later...

You know the electrical wiring plugs/plug ins attached to all the dfferent rnadom bunch of wires (the ones i have seen look like a copper tube covered in soft bendy plastic plugs that are at the ends of the wires? 

Maybe one of them has corrosion or a loose connection and things only work if the bike wiggled a certain way or something

Oh i forgot you typed that you ordered a new wiring harness. So that should means the wires should be in new condition so no corrosion / maybe one of them is loose but probably not // tomorrow i will hear the results from my dad about the cr250 honda dirtbike strange spark plug behavior and maybe it will be some sort of clue// it is stator/cdi box/ wiring harness sort of problem too

No, really. It's is the only thing left. 🤣😂🤣 New wiring harness, new CDI unit, new coil, new plug.

15 hours ago, pikachu78 said:

Oh i forgot you typed that you ordered a new wiring harness. So that should means the wires should be in new condition so no corrosion / maybe one of them is loose but probably not // tomorrow i will hear the results from my dad about the cr250 honda dirtbike strange spark plug behavior and maybe it will be some sort of clue// it is stator/cdi box/ wiring harness sort of problem too

To be honest, it's a used item but intact. The one we replaced had splices on splices. It was a mess when we first got it 

i had to take the day off work so i will find out the results on Tuesday about the Honda cr250 dirt bike //Coil/stator/wiring harness/ cdi box        the problem is sporadic spark plug behavior ( we turned off all the lights in the garage so it was very dark) he kicked the kick starter about six times and i observed the sparks from the spark plugs.

1st time - low ish medium spark 

2nd time - no spark 

3rd time - no spark

4rth time - very faint spark

5th time - big medium big bright spark

6th time - very faint spark

The customer guy gave my dad two different CDI boxes and some other stuff (we tried a whole bunch of things and cannot figure it out). We are guessing both CDI boxes are bad so the Honda cr250 owner guy tracked down a 3rd CDI box// the whole situation is confusing

So the guy ordered in 4 or 5 new replacement electrical parts. I think it is new CDI box, new coil, new stator, wiring harness and maybe something else too

( previously we tried everything and could not figure it out but then 'guess hypothesized that both CDI boxes the guy gave us were fucky)    //     We have no idea what is wrong (dad says maybe some switch inside of both of the CDI boxes the guy gave us is fucky)   

I don't know the status of the weird spark plug behavior because my dad said something about the fly-wheel and he had to order in some special part in do do something with it.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Forum Topics

• By Mhatayas
      My uncle bought a Baja 250, 2006. Knew there was no spark since the get go. He don't know anything about quads so is getting me to help him try to get it running...

battery is bad so I connected battery charger to it to crank it over , cranks over well , but no spark .... 
      Lights and everything work fine , but with each crank over using the e start switch , the display reads 999 888 777 666 ... Right down to 000 and repeats itself . 

He managed to get a parts bike , I changed over the CDI and the coil and the stator from the parts bike and there was another black box by the voltage regulator I changed over ... I used my multimeter to confirm as much as I could works , it's hard without knowing which wires are which , and I cannot find any diagrams online for this bike ? 

Do you think it could be the Killswitch? There's so many wires coming from there I don't know where to start . Also I should mention it appears the fan on the front of the bike has been taken off (the wires have been cut too ) 

If this bike sparked it would run . The previous owner said he parked it one day and it just wouldn't start after.
    • By Uglyside38
      I have a 1988 Quadrunner 250 2wd. My brother in law sold it to my son for $20...had been sitting outside for several years. Got it home and had it running in about 30 mins. Ran it a bit and then went to looking at the carb as it was having trouble idling. Was getting it pretty close, then started losing spark...Also, it wouldn't start up every time...only about 1 in 5 tries. Anyway...now, it has what I can only describe as "intermittent" spark. I can get 1 light spark right when the start button is pressed and sometimes one when it's released...but none while cranking. 🤷‍♂️

I have replaced the spark plug, ignition coil/wire, and traced wires best I can. I noticed a couple frayed wires at the pickup coil where it enters the case. So, now I have the cover off, stator and pickup coil out and trying to test the coil. I do have about 114 ohms resistance for pickup best I can tell. And I can read minute voltage when I drag a magnet across it. Could it still be bad? Can a bad ignition switch/button cause this? (I did have the switch off to oil the choke cable)...pulling rope makes no difference though...any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated!!! It's the intermittent part that's throwing me off! 

• By Gwbarm
      I have been exploring all the options available, so many, its hard to choose. I have kind of narrowed it down to the Honda Pilot, Subaru Outback, and Kind of looking at the Outlander, although its a little small,  the new one is nice looking. Just wondering if anyone has any recommendations or gripes with any of these rides. I have driven Jeeps for the past 25  years and they have been great, but their price point has gotten to high. Expieriences good or bad would be helpful. Thanks!
    • By DrtyGrlKristin
      Just thought I'd start a new thread for newbies to the site!
      If you're new here, tell us who you are, where you're from and what you ride!!!
      Lets get to know each other a little better shall we?
      I'm not new to the site, obviously, but...
      I'm Kristin from Denver!!! I ride a 2008 Yamaha Rhino. She's my muddy baby!!!!!! Several aftermarket parts on her. She's good to me! We try and ride every weekend. This weekend we're off to MOAB! :woot:
    • By DarkRider
      This is something I'm extremely curious about. Has anyone ever attempted to buy a quad (or any other vehicle) from an impound lot? I've always wondered if this could be a bargain, or a waste of time. Google searches do turn up some helpful results. Looks like the state of NJ holds auctions online which I'd be a bit hesitant about.

My online searches haven't really turned up any results of anyone buying an ATV this way. I'd be really curious if anyone tried this, or knows someone who has. I've actually found a couple pages with online auctions for my state, but none had ATVs.