Quantcast

1987 Suzuki LT185 - Amount of oil

83BMichigan

My searches online led me here. It’s great to see forums still alive, I used to be on a few others with a different focus. 

I am curious how much oil is needed for the 87 LT 185. I just picked this up before the snow really starts falling here and to let my kids use it. It’s going to need some carb tweaks or cleaning too because I have to keep it somewhat choked to make sure it doesn’t stall. 

I wanted to see if anyone had insight on how much oil is needed when changing it? It’s been sitting for over a year and the last guy bought for his kid and he rode it a few times. 

please let me know

• Like 2

• Admin changed the title to 1987 Suzuki LT185 - Amount of oil
11 minutes ago, Ajmboy said:

I think the ATV specific oils can out later in the 90s. Just make sure its 10w40. I would probably use a 10w40 oil like Valvoline 4-Stroke 10W40 ATV Oil or similar. Walmart carries it

image.thumb.png.b4eef96a3899b22dcb8588b24d5bfbb2.png

This was the exact one I was going to grab and then I saw I could only get it with shipping. I’ll snag it when I can. I need to give it a good maintenance run through. Don’t want to mess with the carb valves though because I don’t think I’d get it adjusted just right. 
I need to see if anyone has rigged a brake light to one of these. I thought it had one but it’s not there. 

• Like 1

It was a fun evening hauling the kids around on the sled but I might need to look into wheel weights or something to bring the front end down more (weighted). I was basically leaning into the snow as we took corners, needed to get them a good corner swing. 
I’ll look around to see if others posted about weights but not sure since this is a light 4 wheeler

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Forum Topics

• By Mhatayas
      What should I do about this , bad oil leak where the filter cover bolts on . Can I use some gasket maker 

• By BruceG
      Hi guys. I have a problem where the quad will start and run well for about 5 minutes and then it dies. On inspection the airbox has oil in it (quite a lot). The oil is pumping through the cylinder head breather hose. This problem first happened suddenly. I have since done the top end including, piston, gaskets, rings and valves. I have also done the carb (not that I thought that this was the problem). The compression seems normal. The only thing that I can think of, is that I did not grind the valves well enough. Anyone experienced this? If so, how did you fix it? Any other thoughts?
    • By Lafytafy
      should i run a thicker oil in a older quad because it make a little more noise than usual 
    • By alexwv1863
      I have a 2016 Arctic Cat 500 and recently noticed some oil leaking on the engine block to the right of the oil filter. It's near two metal lines going in and out of the engine block. I think one of the lines is called an engine oil line. I have a photo I'm going to try and attach. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I don't want to start tearing into the engine if I don't have to. I think maybe a gasket or something blew around one of these lines. The ATV runs fine otherwise. Doesn't overheat or anything.

• By bco20
      does anyone have an owners manual or repair manual i could download ?i got a 2018 king quad 5oo eps special edition can not find either anywhere thanks